Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 239 40 41 42 43135 136 Next

scruzdj wrote:

A question: does one need to install a pan lock in the cabinet a la the Fender Unit?

Nope, the pan lock's only purpose is to prevent the springs from rattling/moving when you transport the tank. If you feel the urge to have one in your unit, you could bend a piece of metal and cut some slots in it, just like the original one. But you also have to build the suspension for the pan as well, as it is crucial to have, otherwise the lock becomes unnecessary. Forum member LoeD came up with a clever solution, by simply adding a turnable lock, instead of the usual pushing lock.

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: May 01, 2015 04:18:24

Thanks!

Do most people building these suspend the tanks in the cabinet?

><)))°> .oO Fascinating Creatures of the Deep Oo. ><)))°>

The big question is...who will be the very first to release an album that features the Surfy Bear???

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

How cool to see all the different solutions to housing the Surfy Bear. For my cabinet, the pan is mounted directly to the wood with rubber washers for minimal vibration control.

I used mine at the MBP gig last Sunday and was very happy with how it sounded. I'd use it for recording without hesitation. Maybe I'll use it in series with my vintage tank for the "reverb drenched guitar at the far end of the gymnasium" sound!

Thanks Mel (& hello Jonpaul!)

I like that idea w/ the rubber washers as opposed to more springs - we'll see!

><)))°> .oO Fascinating Creatures of the Deep Oo. ><)))°>

Thanks shake n stomp i tried your advice switching the rca but resulted no reverb at all, i m going from guitar- reverb unit -amp there is definet,y a differnce in tone with and without the SURFY BEAR unit but the frv connected has a brighter tone and more wet when settings are lower than the surfy bear.

Thanks Bjorn i have borrowed a larger fender amp it is an improvement with wet sound but still not so bright and more gain needed compared to frv, i am using a MIK belton accu reverb pan model 4AB3C1B, i have ordered a mod pan to compare.

I must add that even with my current problem the surfy bear Still has a more natural sounding reverb than the frv its just i seem to need to crank both amp and surfy bear up higher to achieve it.

Dead Reverb

Last edited: May 02, 2015 08:14:01

scruzdj wrote:

Thanks!

Do most people building these suspend the tanks in the cabinet?

if you want it to rattle and splash a little bit more when you kick it, you are likely to suspend it... Smile

LinkJr wrote:

Thanks shake n stomp i tried your advice switching the rca but resulted no reverb at all, i m going from guitar- reverb unit -amp there is definet,y a differnce in tone with and without the SURFY BEAR unit but the frv connected has a brighter tone and more wet when settings are lower than the surfy bear.

Thanks Bjorn i have borrowed a larger fender amp it is an improvement with wet sound but still not so bright and more gain needed compared to frv, i am using a MIK belton accu reverb pan model 4AB3C1B, i have ordered a mod pan to compare.

I must add that even with my current problem the surfy bear Still has a more natural sounding reverb than the frv its just i seem to need to crank both amp and surfy bear up higher to achieve it.

Dead Reverb

Hi
Sorry for the problems.
Maybe there is something wrong with the board.

One more check.
If you compare the gain you get with the guitar direct to your amp with the gain you get thru the FET reverb with Dwell=0, Mixer=dry.
Is the gain about the same? No hum or noise problems?

/Björn

Thanks for help again Bjorn,

i have tried setting dwell at 0 and mix at 0 sounds the same as plugging straight to amp no hum or noise.

Although all is working I keep wondering - I did some last minute change in my design, which resulted in the fact I didn't have enough room for the pan , so instead of mounting is horizontally flat , it is mounted about 45 degree, in between both possible positions.

If Shancho's pan has one side up , so mine is "front side" up.

Found nothing written about this awkward possition. Any ideas if it can be bad?

Mark, it may be usable, but not at it's best. The magnets that hold the springs, are balanced in a magnetic field inside the transducers, according to the pan's initial orientation.
More explanation at Accutronics website
To check if it affects the sound, just tilt the whole box 45 deg to compensate...
It will surely affect the sensitivity to vibration and will crash more easily. Not good for the long term.

To check if it affects the sound, just tilt the whole box 45 deg to compensate...
It will surely affect the sensitivity to vibration and will crash more easily. Not good for the long term.

Exactly what I did. The vibration does change indeed. Thought it might be a placebo effect.

Thanks Ariel.

Well , nothing a small hand saw can't fix. . .

LinkJr wrote:

i have tried setting dwell at 0 and mix at 0 sounds the same as plugging straight to amp no hum or noise.

Since the dry signal path seems ok the problem must be the reverb path.
I would have guessed that you were using a different type of pan...
The problem must be the board or the pan.
You wrote that you have ordered another pan. Please let me know if that solves the problem, if not I will replace your board right away!

I Just finished my SB yesterday evening. It is really cool. No hum, no buzz and sounds amazing. Björn did an excellent job. Instant surf fun at home!
My SB is in a Boost Cab at the moment. I have to find some time yet for building a smaller custom cab for the SB and use the Boost cab for a DIY tube driven reverb project.

Boris Bond @ Bandcamp

Very professional installation! I haven's seen that new faceplate logo before. Where's it from?

Squink Out!

Nice!

The Hicadoolas

JObeast wrote:

Very professional installation! I haven's seen that new faceplate logo before. Where's it from?

Thanks JObeast and Sancho.

Jobeast, this is the new faceplate that Björn offers in his shop.
The design is pretty nice IMO.
I hope to come up with a custom cab soon.

Boris Bond @ Bandcamp

Mine is done....

Spaghetti Western in a box....

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/25913/?page=1#p351451

Outstanding reverb

Bow
B.M.E (Bastard Musical Engineering)

Hi everybody! First post here, I usually hang out at OSG, but this here seems to be the official FET reverb thread.

I think I was one of first here to order a Surfy Bear Kit in 2013 and it took me until now to actually order a reverb tank.
Just fired it up and it sounds amazing!
I bought the TAD tank - I love it, plenty of drip and very nice and big sounding.
Next thing will be building a proper cabinet for it.
I guess that'll take another 2 years.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody experienced somewhat finicky behavior of the B250K mixer pot? Most of the mixing happens in the first few degrees of rotation... To me it seems the linear taper is not really ideal. Has anybody else tried a log taper one instead?

Also, is there a changelog for all the revisions so far? I have the R2 revision.

Thanks to Björn for this nice project!

Last edited: May 06, 2015 04:48:33

Hi maximee

Welcome to SurfGuitar101 Smile

There are only minor changes between R2-3-4
One thing that is changed is that R4 has a trimpot for reducing the gain. If you get too much distortion when increasing Dwell, contact me and I will give you instructions for reducing the gain!

Goto Page: Previous 1 239 40 41 42 43135 136 Next