Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
118 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
79 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 238 39 40 41 42135 136 Next

I've had a Rev3 kit for a while and finally made a cabinet for it. My goal was to make a low profile box I could use with my Quilter amp.

Here's the layout. Note that I made cutouts in the sides of the pan for clearance. The box is 3/8" plywood with 3/4" poplar blocks glued in to hold things together.

Here you can see the top. I made it in two pieces so I could pop off the front section to use as storage for a cable and the 12V plug. The top is attached with velcro. Note the grille that sits above the heat sinks.

Finally, here it is with the Quilter piggyback. At some point I'll probably tolex it and make a faceplate. At 6 lbs, it's over 10 lbs lighter than my vintage tank, and much more in keeping with the lightweight Quilter.

Mel that's really good. I have a wooden 'crate' style box that Electro Harmonix pedals used to come in. I may use it and attempt this. Can I ask about the mesh over the hole in the second picture? Is that a vent to stop overheating?

I'm off to my friend's in Inverness in a few weeks. He does welding, so I'm going to ask him to teach me to solder.

It's almost the same thing right? Cool

Clarry wrote:

I'm off to my friend's in Inverness in a few weeks. He does welding, so I'm going to ask him to teach me to solder.

It's almost the same thing right? Cool

Well, whatever you do, don't get the two confused!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Not really - Welding connects to pieces of metal by melting them together for mechanical stress, whereas soldering (soft soldering) is more like gluing wires together with solder top form for an electrical connection - basically, soldering is more simple, but done with completely different tools and materials.

Not a technical, but a hopefully practical explanation, I guess.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015 15:04:14

The mesh is for cooling. It sits over the board. The mesh itself is a wire screen repair patch that I stapled in place.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but:

Mel, what do you think about the Mach 2 in comparison to the MicroPro200? Whats difference in sound?

http://www.reverbnation.com/bangmustang
http://www.facebook.com/bangmustang
https://soundcloud.com/bang-mustang

The Mach 2 has a few different control features than the MP200, but the amps are very similar. The new ones have a reverb tone and a trem intensity control, but no longer have assignable reverb. I think the new ones have additional boost and voice settings as well.

I had one of the original MP200 8" combos. It was a great amp, but the digital reverb didn't cut it for surf drip. Shlepping my Fender tank around along with the Quilter didn't make much sense to me so I sold it.

When I first heard about the Surfy Bear, I was particularly interested in the opportunity to have a proper spring reverb that's more portable than my Fender tank.

With a small tank the Quilter seemed like a feasible option for me again. This time I opted for the head/cabinet for the added flexibility.

Mel, have you used the Surfy Bear enough to have an opinion about it?

I've only used it in a band setting once, at rehearsal last night. I was also using it with my Quilter instead of my Showman so I don't have an apples to apples comparison to the vintage tank, but it's got the goods for surf guitar. I still need to dial in the settings, but I like it well enough that I'll be using this "Quilty Bear" rig at the MBP gig this Sunday.

My Fet Reverb:

Here's what I did with my kit. I uesd a hammond stompbox with two switches, one for the effect bypassing and the other is for switching two mix controls. With the remaining tolex , grill cloth and wood of my previous project I made an small cabinet just for the reverb tank, suspended with the typical 4 springs. Thanks for all your ideas here, and special thanks to Björn for making it possible.
Now I just need to replace the dpdt for a 3pdt and make it true bypass. I think is needed.
Cheers!

Wow, impressive builds Cool

A lot of creativity here!

I really like Xavi's enclosure. Mine looks somewhat similar except Xavi did a much better job at tolexing etc. I put the electronics in there, too:
Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

I found the Surfy Bear to be a huge improvement over my home-built Fender-type reverb unit, and I also like it better than our other guitarist's reissue tank Smile

Of course it's alive, you cannot make music with dead Muppahones! -- Marvin Suggs

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015 16:20:29

My Surfy Bear kit arrived today. Unfortunately I am going up into the mountains until the end of the week, but the plan for Saturday is to get it all together. Can't wait. Some very inspiring builds here!

Hey guys, getting real jealous of all these fantastic builds!, i need a bit of advice on my own build.

ive just finished wiring up a surfy bear attached to a Mik accutronics pan but im wondering if all is well with it.
ive been using an frv 63 pedal and since switching to the surfy bear i need to really turn the gain on my amp up to get a similar drippy sound is this normal?

LinkJr wrote:

Hey guys, getting real jealous of all these fantastic builds!, i need a bit of advice on my own build.

ive just finished wiring up a surfy bear attached to a Mik accutronics pan but im wondering if all is well with it.
ive been using an frv 63 pedal and since switching to the surfy bear i need to really turn the gain on my amp up to get a similar drippy sound is this normal?

You need to increase the gain on your amp to get a drippy reverb? Hmmm. Please confirm your signal path if it is the following:
Guitar >> Reverb Unit >> Amp

Please set your reverb unit controls to 6/6/6 with your amp using "typical settings". How does the character of the reverb change when you minimize, then maximize the Dwell?

Does your overall tone change straight-jacked to the amp vs. through the reverb unit?

Try this: although the In/Out connectors are clearly labelled on the reverb pan, remove the power mains to the unit, turn it off, and reverse the In/Out RCA leads. This only carries an audio signal and there are no risks....but many, many DIY'ers have found that connecting the RCA jacks "incorrectly" is actually the solution. This is what I found, too, when merely installing a replacement reverb pan in my '63 RI tube reverb unit.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015 17:12:59

maximumsurfandroll wrote:

My Surfy Bear kit arrived today. Unfortunately I am going up into the mountains until the end of the week, but the plan for Saturday is to get it all together. Can't wait. Some very inspiring builds here!

Wonder if we'll see your assembly with it labelled "Ben Nevis 'Verb"
Crank it loud enough so my cousin in Freuchie can hear it! Big Grin

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015 17:16:55

LinkJr wrote:

Hi LinkJr
No, the required gain should be about the same.
Is there a difference when you compare the dry signal also?
What type of reverb pan are you using?
If your amp has a unusual low input impedance you may get this effect...

Thanks Mel Waldorf for sharing the stoke on the Surfy Bear. I'm gonna try one!

A question: does one need to install a pan lock in the cabinet a la the Fender Unit?

If so, any advice on where to get one?

Thanks, Adrian

><)))°> .oO Fascinating Creatures of the Deep Oo. ><)))°>

Last edited: May 01, 2015 03:54:02

Goto Page: Previous 1 238 39 40 41 42135 136 Next