Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 240 41 42 43 44135 136 Next

bjoish wrote:

Hi maximee

Welcome to SurfGuitar101 Smile

There are only minor changes between R2-3-4
One thing that is changed is that R4 has a trimpot for reducing the gain. If you get too much distortion when increasing Dwell, contact me and I will give you instructions for reducing the gain!

Thanks Björn, so far the gain is not too much, works as it should. Still a lot of hum, but that will go away once properly boxed up.

Have you had similar experience with the mixer pot as described above?

maximee wrote:

I dont think the Mixer pot should be very sensitive.
My experience is:
3 -> 'normal' amount of reverb
6 -> plenty of reverb
10 -> a LOT of reverb

bjoish wrote:

maximee wrote:

I dont think the Mixer pot should be very sensitive.
My experience is:
3 -> 'normal' amount of reverb
6 -> plenty of reverb
10 -> a LOT of reverb

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I get this behavior more from 2-4. Not a big deal, but I'll look into it after I have put it in a nice box.
Looking to make a box similar to the one you made, so basically a Fender unit lookalike, but only smaller.
I'll report back soon!

maximee wrote:

Just out of curiosity, has anybody experienced somewhat finicky behavior of the B250K mixer pot? Most of the mixing happens in the first few degrees of rotation... To me it seems the linear taper is not really ideal. Has anybody else tried a log taper one instead?

Also, is there a changelog for all the revisions so far? I have the R2 revision.

Thanks to Björn for this nice project!

I had the same issue and a log taper (A250K) pot did resolve it very nicely.

mike_fried wrote:

maximee wrote:

Just out of curiosity, has anybody experienced somewhat finicky behavior of the B250K mixer pot? Most of the mixing happens in the first few degrees of rotation... To me it seems the linear taper is not really ideal. Has anybody else tried a log taper one instead?

Also, is there a changelog for all the revisions so far? I have the R2 revision.

Thanks to Björn for this nice project!

I had the same issue and a log taper (A250K) pot did resolve it very nicely.

Perfect, thanks Mike!

maybe your not play surf but stock the surfy bear do the tricks well

Thanks again Bjorn, i got a great reverb sound now Big Grin Surfy Bear is amazing!

Played using Surfy Bear:
The Fountain

Last edited: May 17, 2015 13:30:09

Hi everyone. This us my first post here. I finished this over the weekend. Actually a while ago but the cabinet took forever. I have a vertically mounted MOD tank. I used Mogami shielded cable and it is very quiet. Although working with that wire is a pain compared to standard hookup wire. My cabinet is a bit sloppy as I am a terrible wood worker. Ill try and get a photo up later.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this project Björn. It sounds amazing.

Welcome Smile

Seems like this is the general Surfy Bear experience: Easy and fast to get working but too good to leave it without a proper dress. I used my Surfy Bear in a bare chassis basically for months before I dressed it up.

Have fun with it!

Here are a couple beauty shots. I really need a table saw and table router. Using a circular and hand held router is just too fiddly with this type of work.

I never could get my bulb to work. I thought I had the resistor value calculated out, but could not get it to light at all. I had to stuff a 10mm clear led in it, which is eventually going to be a problem because it is not really connected properly. Anyway, eventually I'll fix that, add a bypass foot switch, and redo my back panel.

sammy123 wrote:

Here are a couple beauty shots. I really need a table saw and table router. Using a circular and hand held router is just too fiddly with this type of work.

Looks great! Congrats.

A table saw is a plus but I've been rounding over with a clunky old hand-held router for 30+ years.

Thank you.

It's actually not a handheld router. More of a cutout tool with a round over bit. It's a Dewalt.

cambeezy wrote:

sammy123 wrote:

Looks great! Congrats.

A table saw is a plus but I've been rounding over with a clunky old hand-held router for 30+ years.

Last edited: May 19, 2015 10:41:08

LinkJr wrote:

Thanks again Bjorn, i got a great reverb sound now Big Grin Surfy Bear is amazing!

Played using Surfy Bear:
The Fountain

Thanks LinkJr!
Sounds good Smile

sammy123 wrote:

Looks very good anyway!

Hi Bjorn, finally got the first Surfy Bear in Australia up and running! It sounds fantastic!

So good in fact that I think I'll leave my toolbox kit as is and build another one to put in my tweed deluxe. That'll give me a justifiable reason to buy an Accutronics pan to compare to my Mod pan ;)

Laservampire wrote:

Hi Bjorn, finally got the first Surfy Bear in Australia up and running! It sounds fantastic!

So good in fact that I think I'll leave my toolbox kit as is and build another one to put in my tweed deluxe. That'll give me a justifiable reason to buy an Accutronics pan to compare to my Mod pan ;)

Hi Ben
Good news Smile
I am still amazed how this forum get surf guitar fans from all over the world together Cool

I am finally close to having time to order and build a Surfy Bear.
I have a newbie question about shielding. So far I think that
the main idea is that the board itself should be in a metal box
to shield it from 'outside interference.' I would like to know
if the board and reverb tank need to be shielded from each other.

IOTW, can they be near each other in a metal box? (aluminum)

Thanks for any help & advice. This is going to be my first
build attempt.

KB,
The metal tank that houses a reverb spring transducer unit is plenty shielding. I'm sure it was designed with that in mind: protecting springs and all from vibration and electromagnetic fields.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Jun 06, 2015 09:57:27

JObeast wrote:

KB,
The metal tank that houses a reverb spring transducer unit is plenty shielding. I'm sure it was designed with that in mind: protecting springs and all from vibration and electromagnetic fields.

Yes, I in my latest build I used the pan to shield the circuit board below.
You might need to experiment to decide how much shielding you need.

Goto Page: Previous 1 240 41 42 43 44135 136 Next