- Surf Music
Help us meet our monthly goal:
Since February 26, 2006, SurfGuitar101.com has been the premier home on the web for friends and fans of the world-wide phenomenon known as surf music! Created in Southern California in the early 1960's, surf music is very much alive today and has spread around the globe. Join us in our forums to discuss surf music, past and present. Meet new friends and discover new bands. Want to play surf music? We have lots of forums devoted to playing, performing, and writing surf music. We have lots of discussions on gear: guitars, amps, and drums. Check out our podcasts and hear some really great tunes! Finally, we feature news and articles on the surf scene, and you'll always know where you can catch some live surf music!
R.I.P. Dick Dale, the King of the Surf Guitar. We wouldn't be here without him. Thank you for all the incredible music.
Join us in our forums for some lively discussions. Here are the forum topics with new posts.
SRW142 The Surf Hermits - Hang Zen available on CD and download here - https://thesurfhermits.bandcamp.com/album/hang-zen
This is the way.
The Surf Hermits are part old west gunslinger, part wandering samurai, and part pipeline-shredding surfstravaganza. Featuring twangy guitar driven instrumentals, The Surf Hermits’ debut album, Hang Zen is distinctly original and yet somehow familiar to fans of surf, spaghetti westerns, and 60s garage sounds.
My band The Routes will release a new instrumental album "Instrumentals II" on Groovie Records at the end of this month.
The album is a follow-up to our 2012 "Instrumentals" album, and features another 10 original instrumental cuts.
The album ranges from spaghetti western to surf, and makes stops in garage and stompin' rock & roll territory along the way; taking influence from Link Wray, Dick Dale, Trashmen, Ventures, Terauchi Takeshi, and the Strummin' Mental compilations. Recorded in mono, this album is raw and LOUD (surf music with garage production).
"Instrumentals II" will be available on LP (color vinyl limited to 100 copies, black vinyl 400 copies), and digital.
You can check out the album and preorder vinyl on the Groovie Records Bandcamp page.
" Retrofuturisme volume II " is the fifth and new album by Arno De Cea & the Clockwork Wizards.
It is now available on bandcamp and on vinyl in Europe released by A Tant Rêver Du Roi / Les Productions Del L'Impossible / Calico Records and very soon in the U.S.A by Otitis Media Records.
Formed in 2008 on the French “Silver Coast" by three musicians involved in the Surf, Noise and Garage Rock scenes (The Irradiates, Stef & Arno, The Taikonauts, Antena Tres, Shunatao…), Arno De Cea & The Clockwork Wizards try to set Surf Music in the modern age by adding Punk Hard Core intensity and Noise Rock inventiveness.
To set the things clearer, it's like having Dick Dale swapping his guitar for a flamethrower while being backed by a robust, frenetic and tortuous rhythm section.
Throughout the years, those "Brutal Surf Music" purveyors used to tour around the European continent from Lisbon to Berlin, Alkmaar to Beograd, without forgetting Livorno to eat an ice cream by the Mediterranean sea.
2021 sees the band releasing its fifth album, "Retrofuturisme volume II " (EU: ATRDR/Calico Records/Les Productions de l’Impossible – USA: Ottis Media Records) to complete a rich discography also loaded with some split records and several compilations appearances.
The trio here reveals its interest for some musical freaks like Sun Ra or Chrome contributing to set the band a little more apart from "traditional” Surf Music, and showing its ability to have an unusual rhythmic and melodic approach to the genre.
All that was once resumed by a member of the audience assisting at one of their shows : “Well, it is the most well organised sonic bloody mess I have ever experienced in my life!” Fredrik Thordendal.
Tons of surf label, radio and band interviews. Such as Surfer Joe, DJ Dotty, Satan's Pilgrims, Wasagas, Evanstones, Volcanics and much much more
A new live EP from Boston's Electric Heaters.
Live at the Burren was recorded in the Back Room of the Burren Pub in Somerville, MA on January 10, 2020. It wasn’t meant to be a time capsule, but it ended up being the last big show we did before the pandemic. Full of live energy and the Heaters’ characteristic mix of tight grooves and occasional chaotic noise, it’s a document of a carefree band in a pre pano time. I dug out the files a couple months ago, and realized, this isn’t half bad! So warts and all, ladies & gentlemen: The Electric Heaters.
Taco Volcano—A latin tinged spy caper. Too spicy for your taste? Cha Cha Cha!
Copley Soul—Stomp the floor to this Boston style dance number.
Bowling Green Massacre—Late nights. Devious Schemes. Alternate Facts. Was it all just a dream?
Pouncy Flip—A little bit country and a little bit psychedelic freak out!
Nayang Beach—Time to relax on the chillest beach in all of Thailand. Subai, Subai.
Shutter Island—Like it’s noir namesake, all is not as it seems in this tune.
The Electric Heaters:
Available on April 2 at Bandcamp, everywhere else on April 15.
Jim and the Sea Dragons are excited to share the release of our new CD 'Alinia'. 11 new Surfy, Melodic songs for you to enjoy!
Now available on Bandcamp:
New album from the Russian phenomenal surf band Girl Over Planet on every digital stores by Warner music, Russia!
Great tunes, energetic rock and rolls, bossa nova. A variety of surf music genres in one release. Powerful guitars and spacey keyboards!
A must have!
CD's through Surf Cookie records soon!
23 bands from 15 countries on one 69 minute CD playing classical world music as surf guitar instrumentals.
01. Atomicos Elektrozombies (México) - Over the waves
(Juventino Rosas - The waltz `Sobre las olas)
02. Sailor Ksou and the Seasick Surfers (Greece) — Penies Mpempi (Dimitris Stergiou - Penies Mpempi)
03. Eldanka (Finland) - Arctic birds (Einojuhani Rautavaara - Cantus Arcticus)
04. Frogman (Russia) - Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy (From ballet "The Nutcracker" by P.I. Tchaikovsky)
05. RedHawkCity (Australia) - The Warriors (G. P. A. Grainger - The Warriors: Music for an Imaginary Ballet)
06. Araras Negras (Brazil) - The Black Swan (Heitor Villa-Lobos - O Canto do Cisne Negro)
07. Boogie Company (Estonia) - Maidens´ Dance (From ballet "Tiina" by Lydia Auster)
08. Messer Chups (Russia) - Shostakovich Beat (D. D. Shostakovich - Symphony No. 7 “Leningrad” Invasion Episode)
09. I Fat Tones (Italy) - Surf Summer Storm (Antonio Vivaldi - Estate, Movimento III. Presto)
10. The Jancee Pornick Casino (Germany) - Suka Blad Sinfonia (Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No.5)
11. Captain Rico and the Ghost band (France) – Dreaminess (Claude Debussy - Rêverie)
12. Moscow Beatballs (Russia) - Three-Horse Driving (P.I. Tchaikovsky - In the Troika/November/The Seasons)
13. The Jagaloons (USA) - Appalachian Spring (Appalachian Spring - Aaron Copland)
14. Indy Tumbita & The Voodoo Bandits (Spain ) - Ritual Fire Dance (Manuel de Falla - Danza ritual del Fuego)
15. Moussaka (Serbia) - The Legend of the Beautiful Billiana (Biljana Platno Beleše - Traditional song and dance)
16. HulaHoop (Russia) – Troika (Georgi Sviridov – Troika/Winter Road/The Snowstorm)
17. Fit Fat ( Hungary) - Dreams of Love (Liszt Ferencz - Liebesträume No. 3)
18. The Supersónicos (Uruguay) - Triste N°1 (Eduardo Fabini - Triste N°1)
19. The Guantanamos (Italy) - El Surfer Barbero (G. A. Rossini - L'Ouverture de "Il Barbiere di Siviglia")
20. Girl Over Planet (Russia) - Prince Igor From opera "Kniaź Igor" by A. P. Borodin
21. The Razorblades (Germany) - Molto Allegro Twist (W.A. Mozart - Symphony No 40 in G-Minor Molto Allegro)
22. Cannibal Mosquitos (France) - Te Deum For Moskito
(Marc-Antoine le Charpentier - Te Deum For Soloists)
23. The Red Elvises (USA) - Hungarian Dance № 5 (Johannes Brahms - Ungarischer Tänze No. 5)
The Tourmaliners are playing live in San Diego! Come join the fun and surf guitar!
Tio Leo's Lounge (outdoor stage)
Hey everyone! I've just finished uploading this year's MP3 compilation to archive.org. Please spread the word and share the link. You can download all the files in a few different formats as well as stream the individual songs.
If you'd like to contribute some album artwork, or you've spotted a mistake, please leave me a note in this forum thread.
Finally, if you enjoy the service archive.org provides, please consider giving them a donation. They provide a valuable service and have a vast treasure trove of information, books, music, audio collections, and so much more, all for free!
Thanks to everyone who participated in this year's compilation!
For more news stories, check out our news archive.