Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 296 97 98 99 100135 136 Next

I got me Surfy Bear a few weeks ago, and I love it!! Here's me playing around with it yesterday, Not the most orthodox surf set up: a stock '86 MIJ Contemporary Strat into a Catalinbread Echorec pedal and Surfy Bear, all going into a '92 Vox AC30. Here's what a Surfy Bear does to a heavy metal Strat strung with 10s into an AC-30. Now imagine what it would do to your real surf rig! Smile Enjoy!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: May 20, 2018 11:19:01

What's the name of that tune? Like it a lot! Great sound as well, sounds like a surf rig to me.

Gilette wrote:

What's the name of that tune? Like it a lot!

Well, it's something new I've been playing around with, so it doesn't yet have a name. Very trad, obviously - and I wouldn't be all that surprised if it turns out I unconsciously stole it from something from the '60s!

Great sound as well, sounds like a surf rig to me.

Thank you very much!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Hello all. (my first post) I built a Surfy Bear reverb at the beginning of the year. I looked through this forum then to see how others wired their footswitches and on/off switches. I'm not too savvy at electronics.

Now I'm going to put together a Surfy Bear reverb tremelo combo. I found a diagram here how to wire it. It uses two RCA inputs for the footswitch. My question is, can it be wired into a single 1/4 inch input?

If so would it be wired from both the reverb and tremelo boards individually, going to the same lugs of the input jack? Or wired from the tremelo board to the reverb board, then to the jack? Hopefully this makes sense.

I already have input jacks and a couple of two button footswitches. It would keep me from having to buy the RCA one. Wink

Last edited: May 28, 2018 17:59:04

Welcome Futilarian,

I’m a bit puzzled about what you are trying to achieve. For the reverb you only need two RCA connectors for the reverb. If you want to cancel out the spring with a switch just follow the diagram on the website. If you want true bypass on/off switches I can recommend this wiring: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T8OdqPmP_2Q/UG3WZyt28aI/AAAAAAAAC5U/lTz0RyZXAG8/s1600/!Offboard+wiring+-+dual.png

Füt: the output of the reverb circuit could be hardwired to the input of the tremolo. No reason it won’t work. But having ins and outs for both devices yields options for creative signal routing...

Squink Out!

Last edited: May 28, 2018 18:03:05

Thanks,

I reread my post and left out the word footswitch in my initial question. Sorry Mischa for the confusion.

Here is the wiring diagram I found in this forum.

photo

This diagram is wired for a 2 button footswitch with 2 RCA connectors. I would like to wire it using a footswitch with 1/4 input, like the at the bottom of the photo, since I have one already. Is that possible?

photo

The TRS has a common ground between two hot lines. Just wire it right so the signal passes.

Squink Out!

Here's a couple of pics of my build. I had some issues with it powering up so I took it to a friend of a friend who is experienced with electronics and I had a couple of bad solders in the power jack, so he resoldered it (and only charged me $16 for the repair) and it works great now.

Thanks everyone. I'll post again after I get it wired up. I got notification the order shipped today. Should have it in a week or so.

JObeast wrote:

The TRS has a common ground between two hot lines. Just wire it right so the signal passes.

I think this gives me what I need to know.

SurfHusker - what are you using for the RCA jack brackets? I've been looking for something like those with no success.

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:01:30

SpaceTimC wrote:

SurfHusker - what are you using for the RCA jack brackets? I've been looking for something like those with no success.

Hi SpaceTimC, I bought a couple of L-shaped metal brackets at Lowes with 1/4" holes in them, and then I used a drill press with a 3/8" drill bit to bore the holes out so the RCA jacks would fit.

Hope this helps, I'm a total novice myself when it comes to stuff like this and I never dreamed that I'd be offering advice to anyone on this thread. Laughing

Hi everyone, While i wait for my tool box to arrive next week, i have installed the reverb in this Cadbury´s chocolate box, and it really sounds delicious Big Grin

I´m getting ready for the toolbox Reverb + Tremolo setup, with two 3pdt switches that will allow true bypass, led indicator, and will act as power switches for each effect in order to avoid unnecessary power consumption and heat in the reverb when using only the tremolo. For doing so, I´m connecting the power to the 3pdt switches, instead of each pcb. It looks like this:

Here it is uploaded a little bigger: https://i.imgur.com/nsTwnJQ.jpg

The 3pdt switches are naked, without their own boards, something i see its very common, í hope it´s all ok, i´ll post the final result Smile

Last edited: Jun 02, 2018 09:29:41

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:09:02

-

Last edited: Mar 08, 2022 13:17:58

I highly doubt this will work well or at all.
SB draws a lot of current/amperes (somewhere between 500mA and 1000mA).
You supply it through a LED, but lots of current/amperes will kill the LED, which is why that current limiting resistor (CLR) is there, but then the circuit doesn't get the current it needs.

I guess it could work if you put the CLR+LED after the power connection to the pcb instead of before. Just switch the power (on/off) to the pcb and go to the CLR+LED after that.

Generally this kind of switching is never used for true bypass because it will give you cracks and pops when you switch the effect on and off and also because there will be a (short) delay between turning the effect on, and hearing the effect because some big capacitors will need some time to charge up.

J_Flanders said it all. Thumbs Up
(sorry I didn't read it all before I posted this.)

Last edited: Jun 03, 2018 04:31:38

Hello Thread! You still alive?

I'v finally made it. 98 pages of information and cool builds.

I checked the Surfybear last summer the first time but there has been some other gear wich i needed badly. I'm retired now so i decited to get me some gear again after 25 years of just playing acoustic.
Long story short. Now i got 3 guitars, some amps and pedals but no dripping in my reverb at all. The Surfybear is on its way and i hope the 2 guys on the pic get a nice dripping company Smile

Best wishes
El

I'll throw mine intro the mix.

I got the DYI kits on Friday, looked around in the basement for something to put it in, ended up using a black metal box that I think was designed to hold wood chips in a grill.

I put the Bear on top: Dwell, Tone, Mixer and the Trem in the front. Used a Fender jewel light and set the Trem led to glow underneath.

Took a few hours, but it was painless and fun. The switches next to the light are in lieu of footswitches.

I love it. Still deciding how to house the tank, but leaving it out on the table isn't stopping me from playing for the time being.

I have a question though: It seems that the FETs need to warm up a bit before I get any reverb.

Anyone else come across this?

The first time I thought I did something wrong, the Trem worked immediately, but no drippy goodness on any setting. I checked all the wiring, solders, made sure it was getting 12 volts at the board, even reversed the tank wires. I could tap the tank and hear springs faintly through the amp, but not while playing. Then a minute or two later it was all there.

Same thing today, Nothing at first, but after a minute, everything was go.

I'm not concerned, just curious. I had a Yamaha 12 volt power supply I planned on using, but while checking polarity, I found it was pumping out 15+ volts instead of 12, so I had to dig around for another one on hand, which I had, but it's only 500 mAh. I don't know if that matters, especially since I had both the Trem and the Bear off the same power supply, but like I said, a minute after powering up, everything is golden and even if I turn it off and try it again after some time, it works right away, which leads me to believe the FETs need to get warm (or maybe the tank transducers?).

Last edited: Jun 03, 2018 17:06:46

Goto Page: Previous 1 296 97 98 99 100135 136 Next