Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 298 99 100 101 102135 136 Next

Mischa wrote:

Hi Led Zebra, I do not know if you are aware that it is recommended to mount the chassis against a metal base. The base can act as a heat sink for the JFets. They are supposed to become very hot. If you place a washer between the chassis and case I would recommend to be sure that you cover all the JFets (and keep the tape in place). I think the choice of screw does not matter, you can use any that fits, it is only to make sure the chassis is mounted properly.

The diameter does matter because it has to fit in between 2 transistors on the back of the board. 3mm diameter will fit.

Yeah, but a 2mm will also fit of course. I meant that what’s really important is that the transistors have to be screwed tight against the base. Now looking at Led Zebra’s photo I see that he placed a bigger washer on the front side of the chassis. That’s all just fine imo.

Mischa wrote:

Yeah, but a 2mm will also fit of course. I meant that what’s really important is that the transistors have to be screwed tight against the base. Now looking at Led Zebra’s photo I see that he placed a bigger washer on the front side of the chassis. That’s all just fine imo.

Yeah Cheers

I hope i can start tolexing my housing tomorrow. "You shouldn't do things like that. It's sunday" i bet i can hear me wife telling me that LMAO

Last edited: Jun 09, 2018 14:49:15

Elrondo wrote:

Mischa wrote:

Yeah Cheers

I hope i can start tolexing my housing tomorrow. "You shouldn't do things like that. It's sunday" i bet i can hear me wife telling me that LMAO

Haha! Nothing wrong with a good sniff of glue on a Sunday!
Stir the Pot

for clarity sake; i did not take that picture. all credit to SurfHusker. what i did was draw in the light blue box, arrow, and question mark.

to put in caveman terms; i will be making a circuit board "sandwich". the bolt, nut, and washer will tighten and hold the circuit board against the tool box top. the transistors will be in direct contact with the red tool box (blue tape will be removed prior).

as silly as this sounds, i wish the directions stated something like that. when i look at build pics all i see is the circuit board "floating" and i never know how exactly that happens. i can tell there is some distance between the board and the chassis because the wires have clearance. i've never built a pedal before so i don't have the experience of mounting circuit boards. i've wired strats/pickguards the hardware is all there. also built PCs but the circuit boards all fit snug and are designed to do so.

i need a bolt between 2mm and 3mm. the directions say drill a "2.5mm" hole. 3/32 seems like a good place to start. i just need my drill bit to match my bolt/nut.

Led_Zebra wrote:

for clarity sake; i did not take that picture. all credit to SurfHusker. what i did was draw in the light blue box, arrow, and question mark.

to put in caveman terms; i will be making a circuit board "sandwich". the bolt, nut, and washer will tighten and hold the circuit board against the tool box top. the transistors will be in direct contact with the red tool box (blue tape will be removed prior).

as silly as this sounds, i wish the directions stated something like that. when i look at build pics all i see is the circuit board "floating" and i never know how exactly that happens. i can tell there is some distance between the board and the chassis because the wires have clearance. i've never built a pedal before so i don't have the experience of mounting circuit boards. i've wired strats/pickguards the hardware is all there. also built PCs but the circuit boards all fit snug and are designed to do so.

i need a bolt between 2mm and 3mm. the directions say drill a "2.5mm" hole. 3/32 seems like a good place to start. i just need my drill bit to match my bolt/nut.

Ha, that explains a lot. The cavity is somewhat like 1 cm. or so between the chassis and the base. This happens automatically when you attach the chassis to the base since the transistors stick out a bit. This is on purpose to make sure they make contact to the base. I would not worry to much. Take your time. If you are going to use a screw and bolt and they are 2mm for example, just drill a hole that is slightly bigger than 2 mm. Measure twice if it is the right spot, you want to avoid that parts will not fit after you drilled the hole. Aluminum is very forgiving material so if the hole is a bit too small just screw in the screw slowly and you will find that the screw finds it way through the aluminum, this is good since it will give extra firmness to your construction. Hook the chassis in there, place the washer and bolt and tighten it up, not too loose and not too tight. I’m sure you can do it!

Led_Zebra wrote:

the transistors will be in direct contact with the red tool box (blue tape will be removed prior).

Tape stays! the blue film is only to protect the adhesive side, to be removed before attachment. No electric components should touch the metal chassis, expect deliberate ground shielding.

i just need my drill bit to match my bolt/nut.

A bit nit-picky for couple grams of circuit, but ideally, a screw should penetrate a chassis hole without resistance (diameter of outer threads + a hair), so that the only tightening action would be of the nut from the other side. That's the only way to ensure good and reliable connection.

i can tell there is some distance between the board and the chassis because the wires have clearance.

Some wire it from the "back" (transistor side), it does look cleaner. Much easier though to troubleshoot when all the soldering is visible in front, so that's what I'd recommend. The extra wire can be cut at 0 or very close.

It's a wonderful project to be taking on, and not at all difficult. Enjoy!

Elrondo wrote:

I hope i can start tolexing my housing tomorrow.

I too, thought of tolexing my house. Rough blonde.

Last edited: Jun 09, 2018 17:14:06

Question. Which of these is right for wiring the reverb and tremolo together, so it can use a 1/4 inch jack footswitch? Or are the both wrong? I would like to try and do it right the fist time. Smile

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 09, 2018 17:13:26

futilitarian wrote:

Question. Which of these is right for wiring the reverb and tremolo together, so it can use a 1/4 inch jack footswitch? Or are the both wrong? I would like to try and do it right the fist time. Smile

Thanks!

I don't know if they interfere to each other using a mono jack. I would use a stereo jack and a 2 switch foot switch. Using common ground/shield and 1 cable for rev and 1 for trem.

Elrondo wrote:

futilitarian wrote:

Thanks!

I don't know if they interfere to each other using a mono jack. I would use a stereo jack and a 2 switch foot switch. Using common ground/shield and 1 cable for rev and 1 for trem.
If you look at the pic of your footswitch it's got a stereo plug to it.
Edit:
If you like i can do a little drawing how to wire a stereo jack

Last edited: Jun 09, 2018 17:33:41

Thanks Elrondo. I was trying to use some stuff I already have.

futilitarian wrote:

Thanks Elrondo. I was trying to use some stuff I already have.

At a closer look it seems to me the jack could be stereo. I see 3 solder pins. So one has to be ground, one the tip and one the part behind the tip.
Ground of the 2 boards go to ground of the jack. Tip and the other to each hots of the boards.

Dang it's hard to describe technical contents in a foreign language...lol

Last edited: Jun 09, 2018 17:43:21

Finally took the plunge and ordered my kit yesterday! Cant wait for it to arrive. Going to pair it with an accutronics tank and this small tool box i found at Canadian Tire. Slowly working my way through this entire thread, theres a ton of great info here!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-metal-low-top-tool-box-0580900p.html#srp

Led_Zebra wrote:

Please help!

i need some chassis/hardware help. i've got the surfy bear and the red 17 inch tool box from harbor freight. i do not like the mounting screw included with the kit.

what size screw can i substitute? do you guys use risers? how do i get some tiny space between the circuit board and the tool box? what size washer? do you use a lock washer? what size drill bits are used/common for this kit?

any hardware help would be great!

i hope to have it look like this.

Hi, Led_Zebra!

I drilled a hole in the top of my toolbox with a 1/8" drill bit and used a 1/8" screw to mount the motherboard. I poked a hole in the tape between the transistors and ran the screw through there.

Hope that helps.

Thank you SurfHusker! 1/8 should be really common and i should have options.

straight from the Surfy Industries pdf.

"Remove the protection foil from the isolation pad. Important: this tape isolates the MOSFETs from the chassis (ground)"

i think i used the word "tape" earlier, but i meant the "foil" or film that covers the tape.

so in layers
1 foil
2 tape
3 MOSFETs

the blue looking foil gets removed. the white tape remains. or per SurfHusker i could just bypass the foil removal and punch through.

Led_Zebra wrote:

or per SurfHusker i could just bypass the foil removal and punch through.

IMO the instruction manual is not clear (enough) on this part.

The white double sided tape is not just ordinary tape even though the manual only speaks about 'isolation from ground'

It is 'heatsink tape', an alternative to thermal paste or grease.
Even though in this case it also isolates the MOSFETS from ground, another important purpose is to transfer heat to a metal surface. At least that's how I read Björns earlier replies in this thread

If you leave the blue foil on, that might impact the heat transfer in a negative way.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 10:05:56

Exactly!
I am sorry, the instruction text is not clear enough.
We need to improve this!

Hey Björn, that would be a good idea and it would remove some confusion.
I guess the two most important things in the instruction are: correct polarity and proper cooling.
All the rest isn't detrimental if you mess up.
Avoiding the use of synonyms can help:
"Remove the protection foil from the isolation pad. Important: this tape isolates the MOSFETs from the chassis (ground)"
foil, tape, pad

For example:
"Remove the blue foil from the white double sided tape. Important: this tape conducts the heat from the MOSFETS to a metal chassis which serves as a large heatsink. This tape also electrically isolates the MOSFETs from directly touching the chassis (ground) to prevent a short circuit."

"Drill a 2.5mm hole in the chassis and screw the board to the chassis. Make sure the white double sided tape is in contact with the chassis."

Thanks a lot for the feedback !
Right now I am preparing for the Surfer Joe Summer Festival next weekend.
Dont miss our seminar Saturday afternoon! Smile

I put a Surfy reverb unit together! So far, I got it going yesterday, the sound is really nice. It's not as aggressive as I thought it might be, it's a very usable sound and the tone is sweet.

I am a lo-fi in the tool department. I built a pine box with dovetail joints. It's 100% hand cut. Using a $10 japan flush-cut saw, a chisel, a cheap drill, and a rough hand file. I cut a brass face-plate with a coping saw. Also I used a hack saw to cut the metal chassis box from scrap.

I put the MOD "B" tank in there (looking for darker sound) since I also play an esquire.

Goto Page: Previous 1 298 99 100 101 102135 136 Next