Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink hearing surf music in unexpected places

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18 Next

So I was just on vacation in Delhi, and we ended up in a much nicer hotel than I'm used to staying in (oh damn). The hotel eatery had their muzak play list, that from what I could tell was very capable Indian musicians cranking various genres of music - INCLUDING SURF! Albeit with a very tasting Indian percussion track. Didn't recognize the song but it was tasty and whoever was playing was playing for reals, not just imitative. Made my day!

mj

mj
bent bass playing for benter results

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Always try to sample local radio when I travel. Can you tell us about radio stations in Delhi?

Happy Sunsets!

tahitijack wrote:

Always try to sample local radio when I travel. Can you tell us about radio stations in Delhi?

Wish I could but it's a different world in India . I too like to check out local radio and newspapers, although as time goes by, corporate radios tends to water the flavor down.

To my limited but wonderful experience, there does not appear to be much listening to tunes in the cars by anybody (traffic is a VERY different experience - although in the north they have some dj cars for weddings that are AWESOME. There is the occasional shop with Indian trad or pop in the background. Hotel rooms have the usual choice of music video streams.

I may be biased but I tend to suspect but I tend to suspect that there would be room for surf guitar in Indian pop partly because of how it sounds and partly because they tend to incorporate a variety of elements from throughout the world. I confess to fantasizing about starting an Indian/ surf/mosh project more than once. Wink

Probably didn't answer your question but I tried. India ROCKS!

mj

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Walking through Oxford Circus tube station today and I hear (but sadly don't see) a band playing Surf Rider and Out Of Limits.

Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

The Atom Jacks

Probably no need for reverb in the tube. Wonder if they allow musicians in the Japan subways. We know they love the music.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016 13:07:41

And the winner for plain weirdest surf music placement in 2016 goes to....

i was in a grocery store in mexico last week and even though they aren't 'surf', i heard 'little st. nick' by the beach boys over their sound system.

www.surfintheeye.com

this evening in ogden, utah at local eatery.......'pipeline'

www.surfintheeye.com

The Grand Tour (motoring series) used surfy background music in season one episodes 7 and 8. They were touring (or getting very lost)in the Namibian desert south Africa using three customised beach buggies - very funny, highly recommended episodes. The surf music was a bit British sounding but it worked ok, no face-palm necessary.

crumble wrote:

The Grand Tour (motoring series) used surfy background music in season one episodes 7 and 8.

I have been really enjoying Grand Tour, and I especially liked the beach buggies episodes.

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

I'm not a fan of Ford, but their new commercial for the Focus features Rumble by Link Wray a cat and dog. Can't go to far wrong with that combination. But please don't buy a Ford.

Happy Sunsets!

Just bought myself a Microsoft Surf-ace Pro 2 in 1 tablet as best entry level sketch pad for someone with holes in his pockets. I found out about Sketchable through Hamilton Cline a San Franciscan artist who is known for sketching folks on local public transport. What could be better than watching him sketch while listening to a cool instrumental guitar piece!

Not sure if this counts, but what the heck...

My daughter (you know, the one from the girls and guitars thread) has a bit of a problem keeping quiet. She almost literally cannot disengage her vocal cords. 24-7-365 there must be sound coming out of her. It's a wonder she gets through the school day.

Anyway, tonight we have some guests over. People we've known a long time (the wife was my girlfriend more than 30 years ago now). And my daughter was making vocal noise as usual.

I asked her to turn it off, and she said it was my fault. Huh? My fault that she can't shut up ever? Yeah, she says, it's because I'd been playing that song. Song? What song?

So she breaks out in a la-la-la version of Penetration. That song. Because it's the last one I've been learning. The kicker is, she probably sings it better than I play it.

raito wrote:

Not sure if this counts, but what the heck...

Horsehockey - that's PRICELESS! Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Of course it's priceless. I meant whether it counted as unexpected.

raito wrote:

Of course it's priceless. I meant whether it counted as unexpected.

Yeah, I understood. Sure, it counts for me. And witnesses, even better.
Too good, thanks for sharing.
Cool

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Ronnie B. at it again... Jack Nitzsche's 'The Lonely Surfer' (56:39). A snippet. He loves Surf, so it seems.
I've already heard him play some Cossacs during breaks, Insect Surfers too I think, so not very 'unexpected'. NY folk - it would seem worthwhile to contact him, maybe send him some music.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 12:21:28

Local NBC affiliate last night had a montage of clips from key high-school football games in the area, about 2 minutes worth actually.
Kinda cool 'cause the sportscaster just shut-up & played Misirlou (Dick Dale's).
Cool

Wes

In the middle of binging the fourth and final season of Halt And Catch Fire and suddenly The Fender IV's 'Everybody Up' comes on during a fun scene in episode 4! Later, a character proudly holding a surf board trophy refers to it as "crazy surfer music."

Monsters Of Surf
Daikaiju

Npr’s Planet money podcast from 12/15 had some surf interludes.
And now that you know I’m a real nerd...

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18 Next