Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Where Is Surf Going In 2019?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Taifighter wrote:

stratdancer wrote:

Back to the subject. Where are people reaching out to gig this year? I have been hitting city's and municipalities. Several summer concert series events.

Playing surf music in the Tentakills is opening up doors to venues in my general area that I haven't played before. My other gigs have been country and punk rock, so I'm still playing music that mostly plays to a specific audience, but it may be a bit more appealing to a broader group of folks than the other bands that I've been in.

That's where surf is taking me in 2019.

And you are playing next weekend with Ivan and The Madeira next weekend. Shred night!!!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

I've played at PRN in Indy a few times (Virgin Mobile Meth Lab), but not with a band like The Madeira on the bill.

I miss Sam.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

I miss Sam.

He's still around. where's Jake!!!

The Kahuna Kings

Seattle.

In 2019 we are making people, celebrating their birthdays, dance on the tiki heads.

https://www.facebook.com/justyoly/videos/10213335665918547/UzpfSTExNTM2NzE5Njg6MTAyMTU1NDgyMzU4NzYzNjE/

The Kahuna Kings

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 13:06:08

Well, this is a bit of a rollercoaster thread. I feel I've arrived a bit late to the party. Or fight. Or whatever it was.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

I have no idea where Surf is going in 2019, seems like a lot of great things going on, Maderia Anniversary, Kill Baby Kill is back, lot's of new bands....but I do know where we're going - back into the home studio to create some new music and hopefully play live again soon.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

The party isn't over yet Cool

Looks like surf already went somewhere! (Around The World in fact)

So far there is at least 825 bands (Ok some are inactive) But a good bit have recorded music downloads or CD's availible....I'm guesstimating about 5000 albums worth of instrumental Surf out there right now ....Wow I had no idea that much was on the net.

A few bands only have two members or are duo's etc a few I think are just solo recording artists etc...but wow - when you think most of these guy's and gals probably have 10 guitars each - so the that's like 25,000 surf guitars out there worth about 40 million dollars in value.

I see a trend where the better the Facebook page is filled out the bigger the band is and the more recorded music they seem to have also - most of the bigger acts have their own web page as well etc. At least half of the bands don't even mention what town they are in? I guess they only play locally or feel everyone knows them there already etc...

Being ther are that many bands with really good Cd's etc I'm surprised I never hear this stuff on any radio stations near me. The only time I hear it is when a old Dick Clark radio show comes on early Saturday that had a few Ventures and Beach Boys type stuff and the show was recorded in 1978 looking back 15 years etc....so I don't know

I think the powers to be will not allow instrumentals on the USA radio possibly because if they did it would flood gate music from around the world being a lot of it is pro sounding stuff. English vocal music controls invasions from outside - it keeps it controlled restricted to English vocals or music they control etc - that's my theory anyway.

So how I see it, being 70 percent of YouTube watchers are between 18 to 54 years old that's where any growth will come from here out. Even then it takes a lot for anything on there to go viral and requires a lot of work and long term planning, But I'm back to my original idea that YouTube is the best vehicle for this genre, and there is no language barrier to deal with no matter where your band is.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 11:43:26

I think Surf instro music has evolved, over the years. Sometimes it's fantastic, sometimes not. I do love the fact that there are bands staying faithful to those greats of the early 60s.
And bands adding new textures, melodies and beats, just keeps it all so interesting. I hope 2019 keeps things going as they are. Surf will never be mainstream again but who cares, it's a
fantastic music, with so much variety of talent and entertainment value. Twang and reverb is all you need.

http://soundcloud.com/graham-pike

Yeah lots of break through sounds across the board (No pun intended) Cool

I'm digging the Mexican & South American flavor surf and many European bands seem to be making some new waves as well. Lots of ideas mixing around there I think could go some where eventually.

I think many small club gigs could benefit the most from a Duo combo - its amazing how you can entertain folks with just a Surf Guitar and a Drummer. If you can't get a band together just get a drum machine pedal or a real drummer if your a guitarist and your in business, providing entertainment for a small club or restaurant (You don't even have to sing) Cool

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 12:43:34

I sincerely believe Surf music will make a comeback one of these days, and all types. Instrumental, vocal, etcetera. However, I strongly think some sort of contemporary style needs to be approached if to ever reach a mainstream level again. The root of Surf music is already awesome as it is.

Yeah Surf seems to emerge about every 17 years or so. Much like Christmas comes around every year in December, Surf comes around every 17 years or so in a big way.

If you count big band drumming that started with the likes of Gene Krupa you have wave zero where big band topped out in 1945. 17 years later you hit 1963 or first wave another top or peak. 17 years later you hit 1980 another peak of punk influenced surf or what is called 2nd wave Surf. 14 years later we hit the 3rd wave Pulp Fiction Craze and in 2011 we hit another peak but not quite as big on 4th wave bands. So by past trends there should be another 5th wave craze in about 2028 ???

That's only 9 years away - and 8 years goes pretty fast - so if everyone is on board still by then it should be a good run Cool I will be 67 by then if I don't drowned - but there's many surfers still out there now in their 70's and 80's - Hang 10

Okay, not to stir the roiling kettle, but I’ve had some thoughts.

I mean, in order to ask where it’s going, let’s quantify where it’s been. I have decided that surf is more of a style than a true genre. It’s hard rock, it’s flamenco, it’s pop, it’s jazz, any way you slice it I don’t see any significant changes BESIDES the surf beat and the reverb. Are those enough to make a genre? Grass Widow’s first song on their first album employs a perfect surf beat, but it’s not at all surf music.

I mean, a 4/4 beat with a drum kit, bass, and guitar = rock music, right?

Taking this perspective, the OP question is more apt asking “what else” rather than “what’s next.” In the 80s Agent Orange played surf songs in a punk style. Were those surf songs or not? Well, obviously Pipeline and Miserlou ARE surf songs, but they can also be called instrumental songs that were recorded in the surf style.

The future would simply be “whatever surf musicians feel like playing.”

Dan

P.S. I hate these thread pages that go so long, the text is so tiny!

Daniel Deathtide

Just like when your on a board between waves, its still surfing, its just the water is lower than at peaks. The whole universe seems to operate on waves when you think of it, from macro to micro. I was refering to popularity and craze's which seem to follow a generational cycle of about 15 to 17 years give or take a few years.

As far as future chnages in the music if any, really not much has happened since the Sitar in India was developed as far as lead guitar technics go, and since that time has spread around the world to what we have today. Indian music is based primarly on melodic music or scales wihout chord progressions involved. So it would be ironic if instrumental music went in that direction in the future, (It would come full circle again, back to a style of music thousands of years ago.) India will be the biggest music market in the future if a nuclear war doesn;t happen there in the mean time. How ironic that would be, much like Hinduism based on world and creation cycle, music returns to its beginning.

I have a Sitar pedal now Whatever Thinking Smile

It depends upon how you want to define Surf. If you define Surf as a subset of Instrumental Rock, usually drenched in reverb and with roots in the early '60s, then I would opine that Surf was never mainstream. It got some airplay, but it happened on the heels of the Twist Craze and shared some stylistic turf with Twist music. It also came along about the time that The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean were singing about the beach and surfing culture.

One other thing to keep in mind is that before Surf, there was the instrumental Rock 'n' Roll of the late '50s. Duane Eddy, The Champs hit with Tequila, Link Wray, and The Shadows in Great Britain all proceeded Surf as it came to be in the early '60s.

My first exposure to Rock 'n' Roll on the radio probably would have been in 1959 and I remember the twangy sound of Duane Eddy. (Link Wray probably got very little airplay, at least before my bedtime.) Smile A lot of other people remembered the sound of Duane Eddy and his influence almost certainly was a part of the creation of Surf music.

So, from the standpoint of someone listening to the radio in 1962, a demographic to which I belong BTW, the Instrumental Surf that we discuss here was only a part of what was happening on the Pop/Rock charts. In 1962, if you asked the average youngster about Surf music, they would probably link Instrumental Surf closely with The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean. If you lump them all together, these constituted a mainstream presence, but I don't recall ever hearing Instrumental Surf as mainstream. Even in 1962, you'd be doing well to hear more than one Instrumental Surf song per hour.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

All true ...Yeah Duane Eddy was a huge influence and so was The Ventures, mainly because of their instruction LP's they put out like Chet Atkins had.

I remember Pipeline and Wipeout on the radio back then as a little kid. I saw The Pyramids on Stand on TV before The Beatles Hit.

Instrumental music never really got the respect or support because of song writing. Song writers make more money with lyrics and the general public like songs with vocals to sing along with so the drive in the industry is toward that direction and even to the point solo's have been dramatically reduced or cut out of new music entirely etc... so yeah, but instrumental music was big world wise in the late 1950's and early 60's. Its even hard to say where it all originated really.

Music really only changes with generations and migration, otherwise it will remain as is in the society. Like when music went back and forth from invasions and trade between India and Persia, both cultures adapted elements from each other, much like Tex-Mex today.

There is a lot of similarities between lead guitar and indian music anyway - I think this could be a possible change

This is the pedal I was talking about- is this cool or what Cool

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 21:40:44

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

All true ...Yeah Duane Eddy was a huge influence and so was The Ventures, mainly because of their instruction LP's they put out like Chet Atkins had.

I remember Pipeline and Wipeout on the radio back then as a little kid. I saw The Pyramids on Stand on TV before The Beatles Hit.

Instrumental music never really got the respect or support because of song writing. Song writers make more money with lyrics and the general public like songs with vocals to sBand ing along with etc... so yeah, but instrumental music was big world wise in the late 1950's and early 60's. Its even hard to say where it all started really.

From way back, vocal music seemed to sell quite well. Before amplification, crooners used megaphones. I love instrumental music, but I've learned to sing, because that's what keeps the phone ringing and the offers coming in. I'm very serious about my Surf playing, but most of the gigs out there want vocals.

If I lived in a world that was perfect for my tastes, I would play nothing but instrumentals; Surf, Duane Eddy, Chet Atkins style, even some Joe Pass and Johnny Smith, but to be honest, I find myself putting more and more effort into the vocal element of my music.

Sometimes I feel more like a lead singer than a guitarist, but that's what the audiences want. So I play Surf, but I also sing some of the songs which were on the radio at the same time that Surf music was getting airplay. Hey, it's an adventure; I never know if I'm going to nail that C# (5) in the chorus of Runaway, or crash and burn. Smile (If I remember to bury my chin against my chest, I will almost always nail it.)

So I must plead guilty to not being a purist, but I have fun playing.

Yeah I sang half the songs in my old band (I was the drummer than) and felt like The Dave Clark Five or something Laughing Many people said I was the best singer in that band (But that's not saying much) lol

I'm wondering if you could mimic vocals with lead guitar or would be able to compete with vocal type songs. Instrumentation started out really imitating birds and animals while hunting, and eventually developed into scalar music of the eons. So much technology for guitar out there and probably new pedals no one thought up - they have Japanese voice box for guitar - check this out - Its only a matter of time different languages will be used - lots of vocal microphone pedals controlled by guitar as well

It's interesting, but I don't think it will replace live singers anytime soon.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next