Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Where Is Surf Going In 2019?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Sam, I like crunch and I like surf but combining the two in some way is like mixing bleach and ammonia. The bands listed above are very highly respected on SG101 and many of the members of those bands are also members on here and contribute their thoughts on SG101. Collectively, they encompass the heart of modern surf and that is just a fraction of the modern surf bands that are contributing whole catalogues of incredible music and their thoughts on SG101. This a great forum because of that. It's a place to learn more about this genre because you genuinely want to be a better surf musician in both sound and performance. Plus, you get to communicate directly with the top musicians in the genre. Please keep this in mind. Thank you.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Feb 07, 2019 18:13:13

Stormtiger wrote:

Oh Oh. Gary Hoey hasn't been brought up here in a long, long time. I'm beginning to think you don't really like surf music.

Yes!!!

The Kahuna Kings

Well I guess Ho Ho Hoey is on a delete list here and maybe eventually myself as well or anyone that thinks like I do - What about Dick Dale is The King a dirty word in surf as well? Whose your Daddy people?

Its the old case of "Rome Burns While Nero Is Fiddling Around" - No pun intended.

I just think what Hoey did was almost there, it just needed tweaking a little bit and Misirlou is really the only song that came close on that album for me. Metal is almost as dead as Surf and the two mixed together tastefully done just might work. Don't forget all through the history of music new forms would emerge by combining different styles on the same instruments. Its always been that way and always will be that way.

I recognize the talent in all the bands mentioned on this thread. Its just the arrangements I have problems with. I'm not here to kiss ass, that's not my style - If they want to keep making the same music in the present style - fine with me but don't expect major radio play that's all. You really have to think like a listener as a musician, I have a lot of bad habits I'm working on. Its much like a writer of fiction you have to think like a reader to engage the senses with skill sets and long established techniques (Its all psychological manipulation). The same with music.

I'm good at foreshadowing - I almost got kicked out of college in 1979 for telling my drafting instructor that CAD systems would eventually take over the whole field. He was old school set in his ways in a world about to change and move on/ (Ok it took a little longer than I thought by 5 years). But today do you see Drafting tables anywhere?

I have worked for 4 major corporations - none of which took any of my best ideas when offered or took any warnings I saw coming. (Some are out of business and or all at a much reduced level then before or taken over.) And they usually got rid of me or I just plain quit on them. I see the same trend here in regard to Surf. It's stuck in sand right now, ok what will it take to move on, that's all I'm saying.

I just went to see a band last year...more of a modern Punk type band(Drove 600 miles both ways to see them). Talked to a few members etc. ..They basically broke every rule in the book on how to develope a band or even as promotion etc. . .They all been around like 30 plus years (one guy has been it like 15 bands or more I lost count really etc). The same with the music, there are musical conventions and tools to take a ho ho hum song and make it much better. People just have to spend more time developing their songs thats all. Look at Misirlou - that song could be over 800 years old and probably took many different forms till the late 1880's and even since then as recordings - good music takes a long time to make, it doesn't happen overnight. And what somebody might have wrote a song in like 5 minutes or it sounds like it and expects to move anyone in a audience - not No Whatever ...don't forget there is a lot of competition out there - Surf is going up against a lot of head wind.

People are still putting out albums now - that's totally dead now - The single is king again now - Streaming etc - Listeners don't play albums anymore - so why are bands still making them? - just make one really great song take the time to develop it. I have heard a few good songs on here - their ok but not great or good enough - its like a rough draft of a novel - nice start but not there yet.

Last edited: Feb 08, 2019 02:33:54

Sam, I've been a member here for about 5 years and you are the first person that I have ever seen act as a troll. First you take the identity of the ambassador of modern day surf music calling yourself Surfer Joe 1961. I literally thought in your initial posts that you were Lorenzo. I can forgive you for signing up with that name if you didn't know anything about surf music.

You have trolled throughout my thread and have offered absolutely nothing to my discussion but confusion, ignorance and insults to the genre. I have tried to be kind as I know the words on this thread and the forums in general are documented and could be read well into the future by those coming into the genre.

These forums well represent the people that contribute to the discussion of surf music and, for the most part, contributed by people that are surf musicians. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the contributors and surf musicians in general. They are of a different breed and intellect altogether. Kindness and respect is underlying.

With all due respect, I ask you to leave this thread or at least write and record a surf song and present it. We will have a better idea of who you are and whether we should continue to listen to you, criticize the genre, bore us about the books you have read about song writing, and generally troll through wasting our time.

The Kahuna Kings

Last edited: Feb 08, 2019 07:13:25

DeathTide wrote:

But Sam - it’s odd that you keep going back to the theme of “making it,” whether that means being famous or making tons of money. Why would this board have that answer?!! I’d be shocked if any user on this board plays surf to get rich or famous. Kind of a strange goal for a user of this forum...

I do it for the women, not the money.

Surf just died today - RIP 1961 - 2019 Mad

I now when to quit

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

I now when to quit

Can I have your gear?

Yeah I sell it on that other thread Laughing

This tread might be dead soon anyway.

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

I now when to quit

Surf will live forever. My best advice to you is try to show some respect. SG101 is the most comprehensive resource of information for surf musicians and fans alike on the entire planet.

The Kahuna Kings

You have also insulted the people that have helped guide me as an artist with personal advice and friendships. Their music blows me away the more I listen to it. If you find it boring then you should choose another genre. I think surf chooses it's musicians and not the other way around. If you have doubts about surf then you weren't chosen to play it. It's a very natural progression and it either happens or it doesn't!!!

The Kahuna Kings

I don't know if surf will live forever, but it's a lot of fun to play and seems like more and more bands are joining in. Regarding some of Sam's comments, maybe he hasn't presented them in the most politically correct way, and we all need to be respectful of each other, not just the surf bands we like or that have inspired us. Unfortunately, I'm not tech savvy enough to know what trolling a thread is but it doesn't sound good, so let's strive to be tolerant of each other's opinions, but let's not try to piss each other off just for the sake of pissing each other off.

Anyway, my two cents - there are a lot of varieties of surf submitted on SG101 that don't get big positive reviews from SG101ers, but that have some nice creative arrangements and sounds/tones. Yes, a lot of the new song writing is rehashing of the same tones and arrangements, BUT I've found over the last 3 years that even the novice surf writers are encouraged and supported here. I've found, in my own experience that stretching the boundaries of traditional surf and the surf that came out around the 90s-2000 is not well accepted with a portion of SG101 crowd, but unless you are looking for a record deal or tons of downloads, you should write what you feel is surf. It's a feeling, a oneness with the ocean, reverb, the poundings surf (drums) and ourselves. Kind of spiritual, but I'm not going there cuz last time that got me chased out of town. Cool
(Sorry, I know it sounds like rambling... it's tax season for me and I'm just glad to take a break from preparing returns!)

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

A suggestion for one's epic Metal-Surf album title: "Ride The Adderall Withdrawal Wave".

Titles:
1. Respect Your Elders
2. Get Some Friends/a Pet
3. Don't Kill Yourself Yet
4. Rock Is Dead, But I'm Fine
5. I'm off My Meds, Doc!
6. Internet Forums Aren't My Private Diary
7. Other People Do Exist (and some are nice)
8. Faking It Is a Fool's Path
9. It Isn't Always Everybody Else's Fault
10. Ain't No Fun (Digital Modeling)

I hate the "rock is dead, but I'm fine" song cause it's a little too close to becoming a reality-and I miss rock. Anyway how about these titles?

1) Same song, different key
2) Same song, different rhythm
3) Rock is dead, and I hate Rap
4) Rock is dead, but not my Strat!

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

I now when to quit

Typo aside, you've said you were quitting like 5 times now.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

We need change, we need it fast
Before rock's just part of the past
'Cause lately it all sounds the same to me...
-Joey Ramone

Love that phrase, but I think there's just too much variety of surf out there for surf to truly die, and some of us are only in our 50's so we (hopefully) can play surf for another 20 years.

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Last edited: Feb 08, 2019 08:19:24

Sam, you joined a well established forum with members going back all the way to the Yahoo Group days in the mid-2000's (and many members are THE top players in the genre) and you proceed to lecture us with bizarre alternate histories of the genre and steer every conversation towards you and what you are doing. On top of that, you express open disdain for the music and the people playing it. You continually bring up the financial aspect of it. Sam, no one here is trying to make money of surf. That's insane.

I'm not sure if you are intentionally trolling but why do you keep coming back if this is all dumb and not worth your time? It's no skin of my back if you don't like surf music but why can't you let other people enjoy it?

So see you later I guess. I would like to see your YouTube channel when you get it up and running though. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: Feb 08, 2019 08:22:05

Ariel wrote:

Internet Forums Aren't My Private Diary

ROTFL

Last edited: Feb 08, 2019 08:23:44

As Brian put it in his last sentence, we are always supportive of other musicians.

BTW-Can someone explain to me "trolling"? Thanks.

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trolling

Got it, thanks.

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next