Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
178 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
118 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
79 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Dobner Jakuar: Mark II

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Mjt?

WaimeaBay wrote:

Mjt?

MJT, like Warmoth. They make offset bodies.

MJT is Mark Jenny Telecaster. A guy who started making custom built vintage spec teles but expanded the business to other Fender models.

Congrats Jake, I dig your style! Another tasty, cool project.

So, I've been having this buzz in the back of my brains, that this thread had exposed and magnified. I can't deny it anymore, I want a Jag. Inca Silver sparkle, naturally, to complement my Aztec JM.
Now you've done it! Argh

JakeDobner wrote:

I also have a MJT Inca Silver jag coming... I got it cheap, and it has a '64 clay dot neck and all AV'65 parts save for vintage knobs.

Then you need Mayan Mayonnaise Metallic!

JakeDobner wrote:

Then you need Mayan Mayonnaise Metallic!

I don't know what you mean. Cool
Maybe that would be better suited for your Olmec Salmon Sandwitch goddess.

It needs to sparkle though, and I can't recall any Mesoamerican reference. It would make sense that even if it fell off the art, which it probably did, a puddle of glitter would be found on a sandy dune, somewhere. Nope. Gold? yes. Red virgin baby dust? sure. Silver? tons of it. Dave Wronsy level sparkle? They didn't make it. Then the strangers came.

Nah.
I'm calling it.
Jew-Silver
Uh-Oh

I wouldn't mind paying double (relative to U.S. it's quadruple) for an ready made AVRI, but it's all about want, I don't need anything, really.
Seriously, how's the finish on these bodies? Seem pretty unexpensive. With help from this forum, and from you personally, I now have the confidence of taking on a project like this. I haven't had that 7 years ago. That's a good feeling, so thank you.

It's pretty much the same colour the SAS use to camouflage Land Rovers in the desert.
Pros: It's the ultimate stealth guitar.
Cons: You might lose it in the desert.

Last edited: Aug 09, 2015 09:16:06

DreadInBabylon wrote:

Seriously, how's the finish on these bodies? Seem pretty unexpensive. With help from this forum, and from you personally, I now have the confidence of taking on a project like this. I haven't had that 7 years ago. That's a good feeling, so thank you.

On the MJT? Absolutely flawless. They get thin like Fender can't/won't so it is a really unique feel. MJT does a "Closet classic" finish and then varying degrees of relic. Asking for 'light checking", 'Light relic', and "light yellowing" will actually get you way more than you think, just an FYI to anybody. This happened on my Sherwood green, but it turned out incredible.

A MJT body is like $350 when going direct(not off ebay) and a vintage Musicmaster II, Duo-Sonic, or Mustang neck is like $200-300(for the 24" scale versions of these necks). So building your own really isn't expensive for really high quality parts. I personally always leave out the rhythm circuit as I never use it and it cuts like $30-$50 off the price.

Thanks! Good to know. Looks like I'll take the MJT route for the body. As for neck, I might take something custom locally from this guy. Check out these beauties.
I don't know if I wanna skip the alternate circuit entirely - maybe some creative switching?

So, how did the clear turn out? It's so much fun seeing it enhancing the color depth.

See if that guy can't make you a body and finish it as well, always good to keep things local. MJT is really inexpensive though, so it might be cheaper to import from the US. Those necks look pretty rad!

I did creative switching on my Sherwood Green Jag. I have a hi-pass filter and a Esquire tone darkening circuit(on the bridge pickup only). I used a Johnny Marr Jag style plate for that. I also had a black ice module in there, a couple of diodes that overdrives the guitar naturally.

The clear turned out really well, I love nitro... This time, I knew how the nitro was going to melt into the previous layers and it allowed me to get a finish I am really happy with.

The photo, obviously, doesn't really do it justice. Next Saturday, I will be final sanding and buffing! I'm going to get the wiring going so I can be prepared next Saturday to have the final product playable.

And Paulownia is SUPER soft. Like, "what the fuck!" soft. You will note a few dings that occurred. Paint can, respirator, and cell phones have all been dropped on this body. Just in general, I don't have a great track record of keeping things not dropped on guitars. My Sherwood green jag, first day I owned it I put the body on a jacket on a couch(it was at an angle) and it slid off when I stood up and the butt of the guitar has a big chip now(and all of the other chips the guitar has).

Last edited: Aug 09, 2015 12:15:45

JakeDobner wrote:

Just in general, I don't have a great track record of keeping things not dropped on guitars.

Made my AV65 Strat "mine" by accident 3rd day I had it. Something riding on belt under the shirt, just noodling sitting on the edge of the bed and, as nitro will, voila... dings on the backside of the bottom, to the wood. Well, better than a stranger keying my new car I suppose.
Whatever

Your Jag is lookin' good... and I like your description of degrees of softness which is better than a number on the Brinell scale.
Big Grin

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

There is a shop in the San Fernando valley that makes really good copies of Teles, and all of them are 'relics' out of the shop - they don't sell them without 'relicking' as the minimalistically thin nitro lacquer in the hands of their craftsmen within their modest shop won't allow it.
Having finished a few guitars myself, I find out how hard it is to do a perfect job without accidents marring a guitar before it's even assembled. But one day I hope to get the zen of it all and produce a guitar which is aesthetically unblemished. And then proceed to nick it the first time I play it.

Squink Out!

Complete. Last second Mastery bridge as I thought the Staytrem wouldn't sound good on it(I have a theory around this).

Looks great! It's amazing, I never in my younger years would have said I liked this. But I do now. What's next, liking Kenny G? Ha, looks awesome though.

Peace to you, not on you

Beautiful portrait on the left.
The pic on the bottom right gives a view, to my eye, that this puppy is very light. Damn nice job.

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I didn't have a scale, and now Im out but I think this is just about 5 pounds.

JakeDobner wrote:

I didn't have a scale, and now Im out but I think this is just about 5 pounds.

Shock Drool

Wes

It is actually lighter than my thinline, by a comfortable margin.

JakeDobner wrote:

It is actually lighter than my thinline, by a comfortable margin.

Wow. You think it's the wood you used? All the other bits are pretty standard things (and their weights) for a Jag.

Wes

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next