Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Dobner Jakuar: Mark II

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Yeah, vintage spec'd.

And I was playing Eric's strat today. I sounded dreadful on it. Went to the Jag quickly. Still want one and will trooper through it to find some good tones. Would never play surf with it though!

The first pic of the pair really shows off how great pink is for a color, but I can see clearly the difference in the 2nd pic with the amber mist on the Strat.
Smile
What are the strap buttons on the Jag?

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Looks like the washers from Grolsch flip top bottles. They work great as strap locks. I have them on my Jazzmaster.

Surf_Skater wrote:

Badger wrote:

Looks like the washers from Grolsch flip top bottles. They work great as strap locks. I have them on my Jazzmaster.

The only way yo go! Cheap, work flawlessly, and no mods needed.

JakeDobner wrote:

Surf_Skater wrote:

Badger wrote:

Love it! Big Grin

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

JakeDobner wrote:

Yeah, vintage spec'd.

And I was playing Eric's strat today. I sounded dreadful on it. Went to the Jag quickly. Still want one and will trooper through it to find some good tones. Would never play surf with it though!

Out of curiosity: why do you sound dreadful on it? Scale length? Neck? Not sure what you meant.

GuitarMuk wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

Yeah, vintage spec'd.

Out of curiosity: why do you sound dreadful on it? Scale length? Neck? Not sure what you meant.

I just think it sounds funny when I play.

GuitarMuk wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

Yeah, vintage spec'd.

And I was playing Eric's strat today. I sounded dreadful on it.

I totally get this. There are some guitars that I just can't make things happen on such as a Les Paul. I play and sound like crap on a Les Paul.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Yeah, I'm clunky on a Les Paul. I feel fine on a strat, but sound meh... But on a Les Paul I'm just not comfortable.

I have experienced this too and have pondered why. I've played a few nice LP's, even a really nice original gold top; they are just not simpatico. But recall fondly a 335 and 355 I once played that I came away coveting either. Blondes, redheads, brunettes....? There is some interplanetary stuff going on maybe.

Wes

SGs and ES 355s very tasty. The LP just doesn't resonate with me, nor resonate at all(which I think is my beef). You don't feel as much of the vibrations so things feel kind of sterile depending on the style you play.

I also have a heck of a time on a Les Paul. I think it is because my first electric was a strat copy. I just became used to that feel. I have an early 70's 335 that is very comfortable.

Your guitars do look amazing!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

JakeDobner wrote:

Done via hardware store. Not "frat-city" compliant but works great, thanks.

This has soul that strap locks don't.
Cool

Wes

Yep, the hardware store solution is equally as good if not better as you can find black! I don't drink much/ever and certainly can't stomach Grolsch, so all of my washers are off of bottles of water from a restaurant I visit every now and then.

Yep, they're black. I don't drink at all anymore but recall those bottles a galaxy ago while living in Deutschland. Don't know about Grolsch but they do work and provided a chilled (and still fresh) half-bottle for that Sunday AM hair of the dog. Nowadays the old cliche applies, "if I'd known I was gonna live this long I'd have taken better care of myself..."
Cool
Anyway, thanks for the tech-tip. I hate $trap Lock$.

Wes

Badger wrote:

Anyway, thanks for the tech-tip. I hate $trap Lock$.

They are absolutely the worst thing ever. Before I discovered the pop-top washers I used to wrap rubbers bands around the strap button to achieve the same effect.

I see Fender has jumped on the Grolsch lock idea. I'm not sure how I knew that but I thought maybe I saw them on a brand spanking new Strat a few weeks ago.

Both great projects. LOVE that shell pink! I prefer the Strat with the amber clear over the pink... really warms it up (from what I can see on a computer, would love to see them both in reality).

Jake,
Lovely guitars. But those holes inthe upper bout plate where the controls for the 'rhythm circuit' went – don't you want to cover them with say, a flat black plastic plate under the chrome? It looks oddly hazardous. I removed the treble pot from my recent build and put a chrome hole plug over it like a flat button. Looks cool.

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

Jake,
Lovely guitars. But those holes inthe upper bout plate where the controls for the 'rhythm circuit' went – don't you want to cover them with say, a flat black plastic plate under the chrome? It looks oddly hazardous. I removed the treble pot from my recent build and put a chrome hole plug over it like a flat button. Looks cool.

I think that would bug me more, when I become not lazy one the selector slot is definitely getting a hi-pass switch, my other Jags have them. I'm also debating on putting some other switches in there. I have ideas... I do like seeing the pink through it though.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next