Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Dobner Jakuar: Mark II

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

JakeDobner wrote:

Yeah, I was planning on the white primer coat. Does nitro lacquer sit well on top of acrylic lacquer?

Yes. Nitrocellulose is fine sprayed over acrylic. As for white primer, I like to use white vinyl sealer. If you need it in aerosol spray cans, you can get them at a Mohawk dealer. In the past, I've also used Zinser BINS shellac-based primer. Also available in aerosol at Home Depot/Lowe's. It works well, but it's pretty tough to sand. You would definitely want to sand it with an oscillating sander.

Otto & The Ottomans
Kennedy Custom Guitars

I've been away for a while (MBA, changed jobs, etc). So just logged in and man, this Pink Jag idea is awesome! I love that guitsr!

Peace to you, not on you

MBA, congrats!

And thanks Bob! I was trying to find your tips for painting the last time you mentioned them to me but I couldn't find it. Much appreciated.

Jake, I think what you are looking for from Bob is here, about 2/3 of the way down the page:

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/21088/?page=21

More cowbell?? Nah...More Reverb!!

Ahha!

CrashHardtop wrote:

Jake, I think what you are looking for from Bob is here, about 2/3 of the way down the page:

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/21088/?page=21

What a great ferret job.
Krap, now I want a Hobie sticker...
Big Grin

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

JakeDobner wrote:

Once upon a time I wouldn't have hated Shell Pink and gone with any of the metallic colors. Nowadays, I kind of like light pink.

My first Strat was pink Squier Bullet, but it kinda' got old. Now, if it was more like the upper photo (is that even the same instrument?) it would've been great. More of a coral, which would make it look more natural, instead of a chemical/synthetic pink.
Plus, there's the coral/ocean/surf connection.

Even so, I like the pink over the metallic and sparkle colours. It makes a statement!

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015 00:07:46

Upper photo is a '64 in Shell Pink. There aren't many... I've never seen one for sale.

Just bought a Paulownia body...

Hey Jake. I've got a question regarding the AVRI '65 pickups. How do they sound compared to the AVRI '62 pickups? Also, are they wax-potted to prevent them from sounding microphonic? I'm considering these for a possible Jag build.

They destroy them, AVRI are acceptable pickups but are a little muddy sounding. The AV'65s still sound fat while achieving a very transparent sound. Just lovely pickups.

Yes, they are wax potted.

wow, I am digging the shell pink Jake. That is a badass project!

I am envious in a happy way when I see stuff like this. I wish I had the mechanical wherewithal to do projects like this. I am just too inept when it goes to that stuff. I have a hard enough time just setting my guitars up.

Just out of curiosity, how much cash do you have invested in a project like this?

Probably $800-900 ultimately.

Body $120
Neck $220
Vintage Vibrato $200
Staytrem $100
Pickups $70
Tuners - Gift
And I have everything else just as parts.

JakeDobner wrote:

• Probably going to go with a .33 tone cap

The one on the tone pot? (Or are you after something special with the switching?)

Edit: or did you mean .033?

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015 08:16:46

Yeah, a .033! I bought a .01 bumblebee last night, so I might go with a .01 since I changed the tone wood to a darker wood.

JakeDobner wrote:

Yeah, a .033! I bought a .01 bumblebee last night, so I might go with a .01 since I changed the tone wood to a darker wood.

Cool. Curious to hear how this goes. Smile

Wes

Hey Jake, where do you get one of those Wronski switch plates? Or do you make it yourself?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015 13:18:21

From Faction Electrics and Dave had some for sale once.

I did a fit test to see if my parts fits, they do! I wasn't ready to drill yet, as I have to grain fill first. After doing an initial fill, I am going to do a second pass tomorrow after I sand back the original fill.

Sanded off the grain filler and wiped down with mineral spirits. Gonna put some sanding sealer on right now and do another grain filling tomorrow followed by more sanding sealer.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next