Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Dobner Jakuar: Mark II

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Yeah, it is the wood.

Photo by my buddy!

Damn that thing's hot.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

That is really beautiful, Jake.

Los Fantasticos

I normally don't care for anything painted pink, but that is just beautiful.

That looks like it turned out wonderful! In a nice short time frame. Shell pink is such a sweet color choice. I like em w/ Tort too. I feel like I remember Rick O'Casek from The Cars playing a pink Jazzmaster or Jag in a video when I was a kid... Congrats on the build . You have quite a few more colors to go to create a full cat house at the Dobner home petting zoo. What's next ???

Nothing planned for next. I was thinking tele or a Jazzmaster.

Telemaster

pavlovsdog wrote:

Telemaster

Not ever!

JakeDobner wrote:

pavlovsdog wrote:

Telemaster

Not ever!

LMAO

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

JakeDobner wrote:

pavlovsdog wrote:

Telemaster

Not ever!
Of course not. It'd be a Jazzcaster.

JakeDobner wrote:

Last second Mastery bridge as I thought the Staytrem wouldn't sound good on it(I have a theory around this).

Curious to read your theory.

Wes

Really nice work man!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Pinky turned out great.
Well done Jake

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Badger wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

Last second Mastery bridge as I thought the Staytrem wouldn't sound good on it(I have a theory around this).

Curious to read your theory.

I feel there is a special ratio that determines resonance/vibrational transference, the variables being, mass of the saddles, area of contact of the saddles(or just overall.mass of the bridge vs. Mass of the guitar).

I hate mustang saddles, I hate Gretsch bar bridges.

The Mustang bridge, the saddles make a lot of contact with the bridge. What happens when you grab a material that is vibrating? It lessens the vibration. The mustang saddles are also hefty, and therefore take more energy to vibrate. When you factor in their mass and the increased area they contact the bridge with, you get a deader sound.

The Jag/Jazz/Mastery, their saddles contact the bridge via smaller screws ao there is less contact with the bridge plate. Also, their saddles have less mass to them and should vibrate with less energy.

I consider the Jag/Jazz/Mastery to be a tonally superior bridge to the Mustang/Staytrem. I currently have a Staytrem and Mastery on guitars that have thr same specs and these support my hypothesis. Also, it is just my general opinion of playing a lot of guitars, I tend to always look at a guitars bridge as they are very crucial to their quality.

JakeDobner wrote:

I feel there is a special ratio that determines resonance/vibrational transference, the variables being, mass of the saddles, area of contact of the saddles(or just overall.mass of the bridge vs. Mass of the guitar)...

Interesting. I'll bet a physicist with nothing to do could calculate that from a theoretical norm of saddle (point) in free air and uniform pluck of a string. (Not that I care that much to donate to a grant for it.) But I'm kinda seeing your theory in my eye, with the string energy dissipated into the mass of bridge; energy being finite, ergo, less to excite the magnet. Wasn't there a period in guitar making when just everyone had to have the most massive rock of Gibraltar bridges & nuts?

Thanks.

Wes

I think I mentioned above that my buddy Eric and I were spraying guitars at the same time. He finally finished his Strat and here are our guitars together. He put a light mist of amber clear on and it really looks different because of it!

Now you need a pink J bass and JM to complete the set Big Grin

Nice warm pink tone.

Is Eric going to play Strat again? I really liked the sound he got from it on "Reverberated For Your Pleasure".

P.S
Any idea where he bought the neck? I can't manage to find a vintage neck for a decent price.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark2Bra wrote:

Now you need a pink J bass and JM to complete the set Big Grin

Nice warm pink tone.

Is Eric going to play Strat again? I really liked the sound he got from it on "Reverberated For Your Pleasure".

P.S
Any idea where he bought the neck? I can't manage to find a vintage neck for a decent price.

Cheers,
Mark.

Ha! I would love to build one of each! I'm really wanting a Strat now(in Shell Pink like John Squire's). What brought this on was that I saw an incredible Strat player last night, just blew my mind how good he was.

Yeah, Eric is gonna play Strat again, I'll solely be on Jag. We wrote a 'Verb song today, I have a handful written but this is the first collaborative song since 2008 that we've written. Maybe even late 2007... He was trying to replicate the Strat he owned on Reverberated, and he succeeded. He has an ice blue strat as well, but it just isn't the same.

He is actually really gunning to do 'Verb stuff again. We all just need to start practicing again... and doing new songs!

He bought it on Ebay, he only buys things for really cheap and used.

I'm really wanting a Strat now

Somebody , call Ivan , fast! Big Grin

We all just need to start practicing again... and doing new songs!

Can't wait for these.

He was trying to replicate the Strat he owned on Reverberated, and he succeeded.

All vintage specs I guess, since he used an Avri?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next