Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 286 87 88 89 90135 136 Next

Ok, it seems that the grey wire from the power terminal is actually on the ground lug of the board and the black wire is now the 12 volts wire. Al other connections seem to be right. You might want to check the RCA's with a multimeter. Hum is often a problem interrupted ground connections.

Hi John, I found a 12v 5a laptop charger in my cupboard and it has fixed the hum! I then had a buzz but that was solved by grounding the reverb pan to the chassis. Now it is hum free and very quiet. Thank you all for the quick responses and solution. Very Happy

Does anyone know a source for #47 12V bulbs? I had posted a while back about my bulbs getting hot and then burning out.....turned out they were 6.3 volt bulbs which is all I can find.....I need one that can withstand 12 volts. So for those who chose to add a light and went the Non LED route.......what are you guys using?

If you want the ultimate,you gotta be willing to pay the ultimate price.

Brett

Auto parts store?

Latherman87 wrote:

Does anyone know a source for #47 12V bulbs? I had posted a while back about my bulbs getting hot and then burning out.....turned out they were 6.3 volt bulbs which is all I can find.....I need one that can withstand 12 volts. So for those who chose to add a light and went the Non LED route.......what are you guys using?

the 14V version is the type 756 bulb. Google that for a local source.

Latherman87 look in a car shop to find a 12v bulb
I have use one in my reverb with the fender lamp holder for pilot light jewels and it work perfectly.

The Robin's Movie Soundtracks Surf Band

Awesome! Thanks for the replies you guys! My poor reverb hasn't had any light for the better part of a year!

If you want the ultimate,you gotta be willing to pay the ultimate price.

Brett

Latherman87 Wink
http://m.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/license-plate-light-mini-bulb/sylvania-license-plate-light-mini-bulb/493803_0_18269?location=****

The Robin's Movie Soundtracks Surf Band

Hi there!

I just finished building mine and it sounds awesome, an incredible improvement over the FRV. For now it's sitting in an old empty Big Muff.

I still have a little bit of trebly noise in the background, and when i touch the Mixer potentiometer (it doesn't have a knob yet) i get a bit of crackling. Maybe it's normal ?

A huge thank you to the guys of Surfy Industries and to the awesome people here!

Aldersea wrote:

Hi there!

I just finished building mine and it sounds awesome, an incredible improvement over the FRV. For now it's sitting in an old empty Big Muff.

I still have a little bit of trebly noise in the background, and when i touch the Mixer potentiometer (it doesn't have a knob yet) i get a bit of crackling. Maybe it's normal ?

A huge thank you to the guys of Surfy Industries and to the awesome people here!

Aldersea, you should check the grounding of the pcb and connectors to the metal case to find out what causes the crackling when you touch the metal of the mixer pot. Must be something trivial since it already functions. Smile

Almost done and looking at my 12v drill sitting next to it made me think. Anyone do this with a battery?

obses4sail wrote:

Almost done and looking at my 12v drill sitting next to it made me think. Anyone do this with a battery?

You can use a battery, but it has to have quite some energy stored to make it reliable. A power tool battery pack might work and it's the cleanest power you can get. Smile

Featured with my frankenjazzy and 54 600. Pre champ.

I’m totally digging the Surfy Bear. I’m working on two kit units now, one reverb in a a small enclosure and another combined with a Surfy Trem. Will post here when it’s finished. Kudo’s to Björn for this clever design.

Meanwhile, I don’t know if someone already mentioned it, but for those who like to flip around the effects order (Trem before reverb or reverb before Trem), here is a tip. Musikding (and probably many other part suppliers) offers this PCB board. It’s small and cheap. And all you need extra is a mini toggle switch or, if you prefer a DPDT switch. https://www.musikding.de/Easy-Order-Switching-Platine-3PDT_1

Cool Mischa Smile
Using that pcb is clever idea!
Musikding also got some nice true-bypass pcbs.

It took longer to build than I hoped for but here is finally my Surfy Bear Fet Reverb project. I aimed for a small, efficient and good sounding version to replace my vintage unit for live gigs. It was a pain to make all the parts fit in a tiny 1590B enclosure and besides some artwork mistakes I was sloppy with my soldering. I’m still not finished. It still needs a bezel for the led and the tank needs to go under my pedal board which will be a challenge on its own since I need to saw off some aluminum edges to make it fit and sit safe. But so far so good.

I have to say that I am very pleased with the result. The reverb sounds awesome.

Thanks to Kinski for his idea to make a second mix knob. His discription how he did it was very helpful. I did the cap mod (470 uf) to give the reverb some extra low end. A small buffer circuit is also installed in the enclosure. I think this helps to bring back some higher frequencies on the dry signal at higher mix settings. For unknown reasons I blew a buffer in the build process. To avoid throwing another one away I decided to give it the right amount of voltage that it needs by installing a buck voltage regulator in the box as well. A miracle that it all fits.

Here are some photos. Please don’t criticize my wiring job, I know it’s a rats nest and some soldering is very amateurish Smile

And here two more...

Hi Mischa, That's an impressive unit. You've done some fine work putting it all together in such a small space with the additional mixer and buffer circuit, and it looks sensational.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

SilverFlash wrote:

Hi Mischa, That's an impressive unit. You've done some fine work putting it all together in such a small space with the additional mixer and buffer circuit, and it looks sensational.

Thanks Tim! It was a challenge to get it all in there. Good thing is there is no space left for any rats...

Damn, I feel like an amateur, which I am. I hope I can get some advice. I was working on a switch to select different caps and I must have wired something completely wrong. While testing, only dry signal came out and suddenly it changed into a bad smell. I pulled the plug as fast as I could but I think I was too late. After rewiring back to original state no luck. When I shook the tank a bit I did hear the springs splashing but they sounded distorted.

Luckily I had another board laying around (which is supposed to go into a trem/verb combination. It’s in the initial enclosure for the time being now and everything is back to normal (even the cap switch works great) but it would be such a shame to throw the first board away and have to order a new one. Any chance that I can fix the board or do I just have to face the fact that it’s a goner?

Goto Page: Previous 1 286 87 88 89 90135 136 Next