Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 281 82 83 84 85135 136 Next

Single_Fin wrote:

First off, both examples sound good to me. It sounds like the Logic amps are much closer to the breakup point than the live amp. I wonder if running the live amp closer to breakup would help pronounce the reverb effect since you're starting to compress the signal at that point.

One of the things initially on my build was mess up the pot values. I had a similar problem of not getting enough out of the unit as a result. Maybe something to check.

Good luck.

It's possible, the Tone control always seems really dark to me. I was worried that some component or something was wrong or possibly put together wrong, since I didn't do it myself (I'm a menace with a soldering iron, I've destroyed everything I've attempted). I know it's not the amp or the cab or the guitar, because lots of other people use similar gear with no issues. It doesn't sound bad AT ALL, it just doesn't sound like the tone I got the Reverb unit for, you know? Which is frustrating. If it sounded terrible it would be a much easier time, I think.

Should be pretty easy to check the pot values, just by looking at the back them, if my memory is correct. There might be a plastic cover on the back, but usually the values are printed on the back of the metal case.

I'd compare those with the values listed on the Surfy Bear website.

Yes, I agree it sounds a little too dark.
To check the pot values is a good advice!
The little trim pot is factory set to the same gain as 6G15. If you have adjusted the trimmer, you might have too low gain now.
The trimmer is easy to adjust for higher gain with a small screw driver!

I should be able to check it out at home in a couple hours. I will update when I do. Hopefully I can sort it out.

The tone pot says B50k on it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017 17:24:55

Have you tried adding a little treble boost like Danny describes HERE?

I've been running an EQ pedal with some treble boost and it makes a big difference, even if you dial the treble back down on the amp. It seems like hitting the reverb tank with a bit brighter signal really does the trick, for me anyway. Wink

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Corey_Y wrote:

The tone pot says B50k on it.

How about the other two? Mixer is supposed to be a 250K, and the Dwell is another 50K.

Thanks to Corey for raising this. I have the same problem but thought it was just me.
I have: clean boost to reverb to Surfy Trem then into a Vox AC15. The Vox has a Celestion Blue speaker with good chime so I thought it should go well with the reverb.
I'll run through the suggestions made here and see if I can get any improvement.

Corey, one more thing.
Can you also check the type marking on the reverb pan?
Just to make sure.

bjoish wrote:

Corey, one more thing.
Can you also check the type marking on the reverb pan?
Just to make sure.

The model # on the pan is 4AB3C1B. I have it laying horizontally, open side down, on a pad inside the box.

I double checked the pots and they were all as shown in the schematics. B50K on Dwell, B250K on Mixer, B50K on Tone.

ok, thats good.

Are you sure the pad under the reverb pan not is muting the springs?

bjoish wrote:

ok, thats good.

Are you sure the pad under the reverb pan not is muting the springs?

Yes, I've tried every variation. I put it in a vinyl bag, I suspended it via zip ties, I have it resting on a pad (cardboard and foam sandwiched together). The spring pan(s) work, I can crash them with a hit, I've played around with checking the RCA connections as well. I've run a boost, an overdrive and an EQ pedal up front. I've tried a Jag and a Strat. I've played it through my Showman clone, through a series of other different Fender and vintage Marshall style clean amps, a few different Eminence and Celestion speakers. I read up on tips for various technique, reverb settings, amp eq settings, pickup selection and about every trick and tip I could find. When I listen to a demo, it seems the sound I want pops up immediately (would take some effort to dial it out, honestly) and I just cannot get mine to make that sound. I can get it out of a digital emulation in a hot second, though it doesn't sound as great as a reverb overall. I suspect the same would be true of the Boss FRV-1 pedal, which I've considered buying just to compare to see if it IS my rig.

I haven't tried running it directly into my computer and using modeling software for that end yet. Honestly, I checked about every thread here and elsewhere online about maximizing drip before I even posted. It may just be the Surfy Bear is not what I'm looking for or there's some issue that can't be diagnosed without comparing it to another unit/rig, I don't know. Like I said before, it doesn't sound bad, just not what I was expecting or have heard in anyone else's demos or demos of similar spring reverb units. I don't want to insult or impugn the Surfy Bear reverb, it's clearly an excellent product and worth the money. When I play a big open or barre chord and wiggle the vibrato bar on my Jag, it sounds heavenly, but it doesn't get the pronounced drip I associate with a vintage 63 Reverb unit when palm muting on lower strings...which is most of what I like to play.

My tank shipped with a foam pad stuffed in between the springs. Did someone else install the tank? If so, did they forget to take out that pad?

The foam would choke off a bunch of the vibrations but still let some through.

No offense meant if you've already checked this.

Sorry to hear that Corey. What if you leave the frv-1 for what it is, get a cheap LAB L5, swap the tanks and sell the LAB? Presto! Vintage tank! Mr. Green

Just to kind of head everyone off at the pass (too late), there's nothing obviously wrong with it that a layman could diagnose. I built the head shell, drilled the chassis, installed everything. I just didn't wire up the kit. There's no foam under the springs, it's connected correctly, everything is seemingly working correctly and in the right place. I've tried all the typical tips and tricks for increasing the drip. It's just not there to start with or it's so dark/quiet that I can't distinguish it from the general slapback type reverb of the pan. I've tried a MOD and Accutronics pan, it's the right type of pan and it's installed correctly. I've been able to get drip out of other types of gear that aren't analog with my same guitar and playing style. I have thick strings on my jag, I tried different pickup combinations, plectrum thickness, where I pick, how I mute, amp settings, pedal settings, reverb control settings. I don't think it's supposed to be THAT difficult to get that sound, based off everything I could find to watch/listen to of other Surfy Bear units or other spring units or even digital based ones that have that sound. I don't know what the issue is. I'm trying to see if I can find another spring reverb unit of similar design within driving distance to compare to. Just to give a board context, I tried going and plugging into a Fender combo at Guitar Center with a Strat and was able to get a somewhat pronounced drip sound instantly by just turning the Reverb control up (not even tube driven). Not the sound I want, but the only kinds of suggestions I get about this are basically that I must be using it wrong and I'm a very competent, analytical, musician/recording engineer/person.

No offense taken by any suggestion. I'm just a bit exasperated with this whole endeavor, honestly. I bought the kit, it took a while to get it together and then I moved across country and haven't played for 6 months +, so I'm unpacking my gear and this is the only reverb I currently own. So...you know...not having fun and jamming in my spare time, just trying to fix this.

It might be easier to find a slightly underpriced combo amp, swap out the pans and sell the amp again. Unfortunately I haven't really seen any LAB amps in the wild here (or anywhere for a few years), but I might have options along the lines of that suggestion worth trying.

Corey this is just because you did not write to service@surfyindustries.com yet, as I told you to do in first place. Or not?!

When you will do we will solve your problems Smile
What do you want me to tell you more than this?!?

Your kit is not working fine. It is probably wrong, broken, defective, damaged Smile am I clearer now?

Lorenzo

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

This is Surfy Industries Corey, not "china export Ltd" Very Happy
Our products work well and easy. If they don't, it means there is a defect and we just replace the unit.
Write to the customer service, don't find solutions on online forums and your life will be way easier.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Sorry Lorenzo, I didn't interpret your post correctly, my apologies. Having worked in product distribution for a long time, I am used to manufacturers always insisting that something improper must have been done if things aren't working lol.

Corey_Y wrote:

Sorry Lorenzo, I didn't interpret your post correctly, my apologies. Having worked in product distribution for a long time, I am used to manufacturers always insisting that something improper must have been done if things aren't working lol.

First thing I told you is to compare with ME playing the video in our home page. THAT is the surf sound. Period. Does is sound like that? YES/NO? if not, AND you tried everything to make sure all connections are correct THEN the unit is defective.
I send you a new one and thank you good night Smile

No prob at all anytime and we are absolutely willing to help.
But we are not "product distribution", we are a "SURF product distribution" Very Happy all the others do reverb pedals, we do surf-reverb pedals. If the kit would not get THAT drip, we would have not produced it.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Goto Page: Previous 1 281 82 83 84 85135 136 Next