Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2111 112 113 114 115135 136 Next

synchro wrote:

It’s sold in both forms. The kit is, I believe $80, plus shipping from Overseas (which is quite reasonable). You have to come up with a cabinet, and buy your own pan, but it’s a hell of a good sounding unit.

The fun comes from devising an enclosure. Surfy Industries sells a faceplate, so the knobs can be well labeled, but it would seem that everyone has their own idea regarding an enclosure. I’ve seen more than one built into a tool box. Some fellows have built the PCB into a small enclosure and mounted the pan beneath their pedalboards. I’m thinking of buying/building one myself, but am up in the air regarding an enclosure. Time will tell.

Thanks synchro - Ironically I just looked this up before I came on here and yet $80 + $5 so about - $85 - not too bad - but I will have to buy a rack unit shell or whatever - so for like $120 or more that's not too bad -

This is what people need to do on here - If somebody new comes in cold not knowing anything about a particular piece of gear like myself - tell them or put in links to it etc...I never heard of a SurfieBear and Iv'e been fooling around with Surf for like 12 years now.

Not sure if I still need a pan unit or if it simulated or not - I will figure it out in time. Thanks synchro

Here's the link to what I'm thinking about getting:
https://www.surfyindustries.com/surfybear-pcb-diy-kit-faceplate

If the King - Dick Dale used one or two these I be more impressed right now - but he's a diehard Fender man so probably wouldn't use this if they gave it to him. Whatever

I'm thinking of maybe two of these and some real tube type rack units. I can put together and being my theory is its all in the spring. I'm really looking for some massive drip which is hard to get with modeled sound etc (They sound great-but the only way to get wet enough to drip is to jump in a pool) That would not be too safe Whatever

Surfer Joe should get the King to try this out.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019 10:04:04

There is so much info in this one thread it's unrealistic to think everybody will read through it before asking their questions. I mean I did, but it took a while... So yes, if questions are asked it seems those willing to help in fact do. Unlike other forums where there is always that one guy that says use the search bar.

Surfing Sam you do still need a pan with the Surfy bear. The circuit board is literally just a copy of the Fender circuit with fets instead of tubes.
No emulation is going on, just real deal spring reverb!
If you spend around the $120 mark to buy the parts and build one of these you are saving a ton of money vs the Fender units available, and most pedals that even dare come close I feel are in the $150+ range.

To bring up something else, somebody asked why this needed to be discussed for 112+ pages? Why? Beacause people have gotten creative with it. Custom enclosures, tool boxes, enclosures that include quilter amp head Surfy bear and various other pedals. People have done different mods, dual units with different mods to each side or different pans. Combo units with reverb and trem in a single enclosure. And true bypass. Through all these different scenarios people run into issues somewhere and come here to ask questions to help trouble shoot their problem, and have gotten legit help. Include all the newcomers, like I myself was at one point, and this thread will just keep growing.

If you can find the time it's an interesting read and wealth of knowledge to go through the entire thread.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019 12:12:12

DerJuicen nailed it.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

This thread has definitely been invaluable for knowledge and inspiration in equal measure.

I wonder though - could there be scope to produce a summary of the main troubleshooting points in a separate article? A few recurring questions have been popping up in this thread plus it can be a bit tricky to navigate through the whole thing to find a quick answer, even with the search function.

Apologies if this should have been submitted through the site suggestions thread instead. Hey, I made a rhyme.

A separate post or wiki page would be good for that.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

DerJuicen wrote:

There is so much info in this one thread it's unrealistic to think everybody will read through it before asking their questions. I mean I did, but it took a while... So yes, if questions are asked it seems those willing to help in fact do. Unlike other forums where there is always that one guy that says use the search bar.

Surfing Sam you do still need a pan with the Surfy bear. The circuit board is literally just a copy of the Fender circuit with fets instead of tubes.
No emulation is going on, just real deal spring reverb!
If you spend around the $120 mark to buy the parts and build one of these you are saving a ton of money vs the Fender units available, and most pedals that even dare come close I feel are in the $150+ range.

To bring up something else, somebody asked why this needed to be discussed for 112+ pages? Why? Beacause people have gotten creative with it. Custom enclosures, tool boxes, enclosures that include quilter amp head Surfy bear and various other pedals. People have done different mods, dual units with different mods to each side or different pans. Combo units with reverb and trem in a single enclosure. And true bypass. Through all these different scenarios people run into issues somewhere and come here to ask questions to help trouble shoot their problem, and have gotten legit help. Include all the newcomers, like I myself was at one point, and this thread will just keep growing.

If you can find the time it's an interesting read and wealth of knowledge to go through the entire thread.

Dear Juicen, et al:

Threads like the Surfy Bear thread are great fun. I know why I’m here at Surf 101, and that’s because I enjoy talking about guitars, amps, reverb, Surf music, etc. Discussion is the lifeblood of any forum. If it turns into a reference library, the fun goes away, and the membership dwindles. A Wiki page for the Surfy Bear might be a good idea, but I hope this thread goes on for years. Even if I didn’t like the Surfy Bear, I’d still like the thread, because it boils down to people sharing info, doing a bit of Snaw and Tell, and enjoying the company of others with similar interests. For the record, I am quite impressed by the Surfy Bear.

Nearly non-stop home repairs have taxed my finances and I eschew debt, so I’m holding off for the moment, in favor of remaining liquid. However,I may build one soon. I’m pondering ideas of how to proceed. I want something compact, yet attractive. For me, it all comes down to enclosure and packaging.

I’d also like to chime in about the costs. If you think about it, most pedals cost $150 and up, and “up” can go way up the scale from $150. It would be hard to spend much more than $150 building a Surfy Bear, unless you encrusted it in diamonds. From what I can tell, the Surfy Bear project is one of those rare times when a great idea works out to the benefit of all involved. My hat is really off to the people that have made this possible.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I have to drop in and say I've read every page from 51 on and it's well worth it! I have the surfy trem but have now decided to get the reverb too.

There are so many helpful ideas here, it's made me change many of my ideas (including building my own power supply). One of the most impressive one is the use of the stud channel as a chassis.

I can only find these in 2 meter lengths. So, if anyone in the UK wants to split one, shout!

I am also in the process of buying a jig to finger joint my own cabinet, I've just got a good, old Makita router. This thread has inspired me, as I reckon I can try out the concepts on the Surfy reverb/trem then try a Champ or Deluxe.

Thanks to everyone for the inspirational work and ideas. And if you want to split the chassis fittings (or have any surplus ones) please yell!

And here's a bonus pic of the guitar that is longing to use reverb once more.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019 11:03:24

It was 4 1/2 years ago I started this thread and it would hard to pinpoint a specific search but if you type it into google with a specific question and finish the question with "surfguitar101", you "can" get a little more detail onto what page you can choose from. Not always the case but...…...

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

stratdancer wrote:

if you type it into google with a specific question and finish the question with "surfguitar101", you "can" get a little more detail onto what page you can choose from. Not always the case but...…...

To search in this thread you need to use the "site:" keyword in Google.
The 'site' in this case is this thread: https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/24295

So, for example, if you want to find all the posts in the The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb thread that contain the word "rca" you need to put this in Google search field:

rca site:https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/24295

space bewteen rca and the rest but NO spaces between site, : or the url

lmgtfy: http://bfy.tw/M2DB

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019 14:31:31

To follow up on a couple of recent posts regarding grounding schemes of pans, I can report that I recently got a new Accutronics 1AB2B1B to compare with the 8AB3C1B I was using with my SurfyBear. They are both short pans due to constraints of the enclosure I am using. The relevant specs are:

1AB2B1B - 2 springs, input grounded, output insulated
8AB3C1B - 3 springs, input insulated, output grounded

Turns out that the grounding scheme makes no difference (as j flanders and bjorn suggested would be the case).

Furthermore, switching back and forth between the two (I only had to switch around the RCA cables to A/B them), I really could not tell much difference in the sound of the reverb effect. Maybe my ears aren't so well trained and I should test them out some more. And there was plenty of drip available from both. So if anyone else is weighing the short pan options, I'd say either one would work well.

I am new to this forum and wanted to share my experience building my first Surfy Bear Reverb Kit. I have always loved the surf sounds of the sixties and after reading many of the stories in this forum about building this reverb kist, I decided to order one last year. I finally built it in January and happy to report that it works really well. I only had one issue when I tried it the first time since I was not getting any sound. Found out (thanks to this forum) that I had wired the board ground incorrectly to the DC power jack. I easily corrected that, and beautiful reverb came out of the box.

I assembled the Surfy Bear reverb kit and the Accutronics reverb tank inside a Hammond aluminum chassis box that measures 17" x 8" x 3". This was a perfect fit for this project. I drilled the holes with a Craftman bench drill press and painted the box with Rust-Oleum textured paint. I also used a 2" x 1.5" metal bracket attached to the inside of the box with epoxy to connect the RCA connectors for the reverb tank. I bought the rubber feet, 3ft RCA cable, LED lighted On-Off switch and 12V/2amp power supply on eBay. I purchased the handle, screws and rest of hardware at Lowes hardware store.

You also need to have a lot of patience and good soldering skills since the wires are very short and thin and the board is small. I used my Hakko soldering station for all of the soldering. Next step, I want to add a foot switch connector so I can turn the reverb on and off with the foot switch.

Thanks to the creators of this wonderful kit. I always wanted a Fender reverb tank, but could not afford it. This does the job with excellence.

For those of you that are thinking about buying one of these kits, hope you find this useful. Enjoy the pics.

Another technical question:

I've got too much reverb with my SurfyBear build. I know it's totally blasphemy because you can never have too much reverb. But I do. Turning up the mixer pot just to 2 or 3 makes it totally saturated and anything beyond that just washes things out so there's mostly reverb and hardly any guitar notes. So to put it another way, there's loads of reverb, but not enough of a usable range.

I'm not sure why it's this way, whether it's because I'm using a short pan, the board has something wrong, my wiring is screwy, or maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's a way to tame it to allow me to more easily dial in lower amounts of reverb. In particular, if I change the mixer pot to a different value, say 500k, would that help? Or would a lower value like 100k be the direction to go? Or would adjust the trim pot have any effect? The latter would be easiest to play around with.

Once I get that sorted, I can finally get the whole thing assembled and post pics of my never-ending project.

Start with using the pan the Surfy Bear was designed to work with, before you start switching components.

I like Gibbs pans, but any pan with correct size and impedance should get you a baseline to work with.

Good luck,
Ran

The Scimitars

Pan size is not the issue. I'm using a two spring short pan that meets the specs in terms of impedance. A number of other people have used short pans as well but have not reported the same issue. And Pans with higher impedances tend to give a lot less reverb, rather than more.

Long and short pans with the same specs are pretty much inter-changeable, and I've got a type 1 tank, which has identical impedance to type 4. The main differences people report between long and short pans have to do with the sound (lushness, drip, etc.) rather than the amount of reverb reported.

edwardsand wrote:

The main differences people report between long and short pans have to do with the sound (lushness, drip, etc.) rather than the amount of reverb reported.

j_flanders wrote:

The input impedance of the short tank is close enough. (10 Ohm vs 8 Ohm)
The short tank sounds very lush, darker, fuller, less metallic, a lot less drippy. It sounds more like a hall reverb.
It is also a lot louder (much more output), probably because it has 3 springs and 3 transducers.

When switching to the short pan, I turn down everything: less input boost, from a pedal, the tone, mix and dwell control and I disengage the c10 mod switch because it has plenty bottom end by itself.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 11:30:16

j_flanders, he is using a 2 spring short tank.

Edwardsand, while theoretically what you said should be true, troubleshooting will be a lot harder without eliminating this finicky component. Have you measured your pan's input and output impedances? They can be off the charts (though reasonable to assume it will give less reverb, not more), or other part of it could be defective/incompatible.
Bottom line, with type4 you'll have a better picture.
Other than that, maybe Bjorn could chime in with advice.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 11:39:25

Off Topic Reading my previous post, are TANK and PAN interchangeable terms?
Maybe tank means the whole unit?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 11:44:02

I'm not 100% sure either but I usually (not always) call the whole unit a 'tank' and inside the tank you have a pan or can.

Wikipedia disagrees:
" The spring reverb “tank” is mounted on the interior side of the front baffle in a vertical position. Tanks were supplied by Gibbs and Accutronics in the original version. "

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 11:53:24

Tank vs. pan: in most places, they are interchangeable, though I've found on this forum that most people use tank to refer to the outboard unit as a whole. Just to be safe, I try to always say pan.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, especially j flanders, who consistently supplies so much good technical info. But I will point out that I'm using a Type 1 tank now, which is a 2 spring short pan. I've A/B'ed with a type 8 pan and not found much difference. But the important thing is that the Type 1 specs match Type 4, while Type 8 is slightly different in terms of impedances.

Type 1 pans are quite rare, so I don't expect people have much experience with them. I'm using the short pan because of the enclosure I'm using, so I don't need a long pan in this case. I will get one at some point for an old amp I have, but for now I'm looking for some tweaks I could do try make this thing more useable.

Hi edwardsand
Its difficult to say why you have this much gain.
Reverb pans can have different gain. Maybe this is the case here.
Normally, when Dwell (and Tone) is set to 6 the overall output signal level should be ‘close to constant’ when you increase Mixer from dry to wet.
In your case, you probably need to lower Dwell, right?

I usually don’t recommend adjustment of the little trimmer, it’s factory set to the same gain as 6g15. But in your case it might be a good idea to lower the gain. Please be careful, the trimmer is a fragile.
/B

Goto Page: Previous 1 2111 112 113 114 115135 136 Next