SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

toninho: SAAARFFFF!
67 days ago

synchro: Danny, you are a very sick man, in a very wonderful way.
39 days ago

losstomias: Este foro acepta Tapatalk?
36 days ago

TheBeachCruzers: DONT READ THIS
34 days ago

dp: Barfalona!
16 days ago

Emilien03: HAPPY NEW YEAR 2018!
15 days ago

Clarry: Where do Jack-in-the-Boxes go for holidays? The Dordogne
12 days ago

bigtikidude: ???........
2 days ago

DannySnyder: Last night I was attacked by a gang of mimes, they did unspeakable things to me.
1 day ago

bigtikidude: Heyoooo
15 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

55%

55%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Introductions! New Members Post Here

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 236 37 38 39 40

da-ron - Thanks! I'm really touched by that very generous offer - and I may take you up on it. BUT - I've just been over to the Surfy Industries website again and this time had a proper look at the Surfy Bear and Surfy Trem kit pages. The first time I looked at them, I was so caught up in my anti-having-a-go attitude that I didn't notice just how bloody cheap the kits are - forty and thirty-six quid respectively, plus power supplies! I think this may be the time for me to leave my comfort zone. Now that I think about it, I do know someone locally who's pretty handy at DIY stuff. I'll see if he's willing/able to teach me some basic soldering skills and possibly guide me through the project. He's also very good at woodworking, so he would be able to help me rig up some kind of case for it as well. And borrowing a soldering iron shouldn't be a problem either. OK, guys, you've already inspired someone with a deep-rooted "Can't do DIY, won't do DIY" attitude to have a go at building a reverb tank and a tremolo pedal kit - and it's only the 2nd of January. By the end of the year, you'll have me designing and building my own line of boutique amps and pedals Smile In any event, I'll let you know what the DIY bloke here says.

Good to hear! You can get great soldering tips on youtube. The soldering is really basic on the kits. The hardest part is not soldering the pots backwards which I have done at least once to my three surfy reverbs and one trem. Easily fixed once I traced back all the connections while comparing to the diagram. Hopefully you have found the thread on the surfy bear reverb. It has countless pictures of creative ways people have built their projects. https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/24295/
Here is my latest version. The Dual Reverb Quilty Bear.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks, stratdancer.

The Dual Reverb Quilty Bear looks fantastic - pity there isn't a "I take my hat off to you, sir" smiley, I would definitely use it here. I don't think I'll try to integrate a Surfy Bear into my Orange Crush 35RT, though. Although having an Orange amp with onboard surf spring reverb would be really cool - I could call it the "Orange County"! Maybe that's a project for some time in the future.

Yes, I've found the Surfy Bear thread, but I think it's going to take me a while to get through the entire 90-odd pages! Anyway, now that I've decided to have a go at this project, I'm not going to rush into it. Apart from trying to find someone here that can give me a little help with it, I've found some inexpensive and easy-to-build electronics projects kits for beginners on the internet, so I'm going to buy a couple of them before tackling the Surfy kits. It'll give me a chance to acquire some basic experience + skills, and hopefully it'll get me over the "fear of making mistakes and therefore not starting" brick wall that I would definitely run into if I tried to build the Surfy kits from a completely cold start. Yes, and I'll check out the soldering tutorials on YouTube too.

Delrin96mm wrote:

Hi, everyone. I've only just noticed that this is where new members are supposed to introduce themselves. I joined a few days now and have already been made to feel very welcome by some of the guys over on the Strymon Flint forum. All the best and Happy New Year from the UK.

Welcome! Been in UK a couple of times and completely love it)
Also a happy Flint owner Big Grin

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

https://www.facebook.com/waikikimakaki/
https://soundcloud.com/waikiki-makaki

Last edited: Jan 03, 2018 13:15:41

Thanks, Samurai!

Delrin96mm wrote:

da-ron - Thanks! I'm really touched by that very generous offer - and I may take you up on it. BUT - I've just been over to the Surfy Industries website again and this time had a proper look at the Surfy Bear and Surfy Trem kit pages. The first time I looked at them, I was so caught up in my anti-having-a-go attitude that I didn't notice just how bloody cheap the kits are - forty and thirty-six quid respectively, plus power supplies! I think this may be the time for me to leave my comfort zone. Now that I think about it, I do know someone locally who's pretty handy at DIY stuff. I'll see if he's willing/able to teach me some basic soldering skills and possibly guide me through the project. He's also very good at woodworking, so he would be able to help me rig up some kind of case for it as well. And borrowing a soldering iron shouldn't be a problem either. OK, guys, you've already inspired someone with a deep-rooted "Can't do DIY, won't do DIY" attitude to have a go at building a reverb tank and a tremolo pedal kit - and it's only the 2nd of January. By the end of the year, you'll have me designing and building my own line of boutique amps and pedals Smile In any event, I'll let you know what the DIY bloke here says.

To be honest, it would take me under an hour to wire up and check a Surfy Bear. I can check it over with a reverb tank and make sure it works Ok before I send it on to you so you know it's working OK. Up to you though. I wouldn't bother with any other kits really, a Surfy Bear is all you need, imo.

You'll need a long spring tank for a Surfy Bear, they sound terrible with a short spring tank.

www.thewaterboarders.net
http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Thanks again for the offer, da-ron, it's really very kind of you. I've decided I'd like to have a go at building the Surfy Bear and Trem myself. I spent some time earlier this evening having a good look at the Surfy Bear thread and noticed that even people with a reasonable amount of previous electronics experience sometimes have difficulty constructing these kits and getting them to work properly. So I'll definitely need to get a little practice on a few simple, inexpensive projects first. I've found lots of interesting stuff online and on YouTube to get me started, and I'm sure I'll be able to find someone around here with electronics/DIY experience to teach me the basics of soldering and give me a hand if I do get stuck with anything. This all means of course, that I'll have to wait a while longer for spring reverb and tremolo, but I don't mind that. I'm still having a lot of fun getting to grips with the basics of surf guitar - becoming a decent surf guitarist is going to be a long-term project in itself - and the digital reverb on my Orange amp might not splash or drip, but it's useable. Anyway, I also practice a lot unplugged or on my acoustic, so although I love proper spring reverb and good '60s-style tremolo and really want them, I don't actually _need_them right now. Learning to play better has to be the priority. And learning a little bit about electronics won't hurt me in the long-term either, as at some stage I want to get a valve amp, and they often require maintenance or mods. So thanks again. I'll keep you posted on my progress - or lack of it :-).

Goto Page: Previous 1 236 37 38 39 40