Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink What song are you working on right now?

Goto Page: Previous 1 250 51 52 53 54 Next

zunrj5 wrote:

There's one in the downloads - tabs section here on the site.

Yes, I have the tab. This is a fun one for me just to noodle around with periodically; it's one of those that acts like PT to help keep some old fingers wiggling. And intro aside, the Mrs. says it's one of her favorite melodies, which is like carte blanche. Laughing

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

zunrj5 wrote:

DannySnyder wrote:

I believe there's musical notation for Transylvanian Orbit floating around somewhere...

That's the one that I looked over and corrected to make sure it's exactly how I play it, so it's dead-on accurate.

BTW, if any of you wish me to do that for any other of the Madeira/Cossacks songs, just let me know. Assuming you are not catching me at a very busy time, I'll be happy to do so.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

zunrj5 wrote:

DannySnyder wrote:

I believe there's musical notation for Transylvanian Orbit floating around somewhere...

That's the one that I looked over and corrected to make sure it's exactly how I play it, so it's dead-on accurate.

BTW, if any of you wish me to do that for any other of the Madeira/Cossacks songs, just let me know. Assuming you are not catching me at a very busy time, I'll be happy to do so.

Not to get too far off topic, but I'll take you up on that offer, I have "Mir Rescue" figured out, I just need time do get it down on paper.

-John

The Seatopians 2017-
The Seatopians on bandcamp

Sure thing, John, just let me know when it's ready.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Three originals (well as original as I'm likely to get)...

"Brian Matthew Saturday Morning Twist" - trying to get a Tex-Mex feel with it. Brian Matthew was a Radio DJ from the 60s to the present day who died recently in his 80s. He was still transmitting Sounds of the Sixties up to a few months before his death on Saturday mornings. His theme tune to the show was Footapper by The Shadows.

"Renegade Apostrophe's" - (see what I did there?) going for an overdriven Davy Allen feel on this.

"Get in the Groove" - bog standard groovy dance tune.

Clarry wrote:

"Get in the Groove" - bog standard groovy dance tune.

Well as long you know your onions and it's not a damp squib I won't queer your pitch.

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 12:26:28

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I wanted to learn The Ventures' version of Tequila the other day, and sure enough, this guy on YouTube had just posted a video lesson the same day. He's got some other great videos with tabs as well. Having a tough time jumping to that Adim7 chord...in addition to many other parts of the song haha.

Hi Skandhi, Thanks for posting. I did not know that Tom Conlon had so many surf music tab videos at his site.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Currently working on an arrangement of the Game of Thrones theme; going from the 3/4 (6/8?) feel into a rockin 4/4. we'll see if it works on sunday...

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

Surf Rider by the Lively Ones

pscates wrote:

Been discovering and playing some fun little gems lately. Nothing challenging or fast/tricky, really. But fun, dance-y things to add to the repertoire (that most folks have probably never heard). Trying to discover these lesser-known tunes and work them in. They're fresh and nobody's burned out on hearing (or playing) them. I'm on Apple Music, so it's been great to discover all these things in recent months. They have several of those nice compilations ("Lost Legends of Surf Guitar", etc.) and I'm hearing/learning a lot of new (to me) stuff.

"Scorpion" by The Carnations
I like the "Tequila"-like rhythm guitar (like The Fireballs' "Torquay"). Never changes to a IV or V or some other chord. Just relentlessly drives that one main rhythm guitar/bass line throughout. The lead guitar is what changes, cycling through about 4-5 distinct parts.

"Custer's Stomp" by The Scouts
This one is SO slinky...I love those drums! There's another version with Indian whoops, tambourines and people yelling/acting silly, but it's kinda obnoxious and pretty much buries the actual song. This "clean" version is 10x better...the instruments are much easier to hear and they sound great!

A little late here but I wanted to comment for posterity. I was just playing along to "Scorpion" by the Carnations and wanted to correct what was said about it. The whole thing is a V-IV mixolydian seesaw and the I never comes into play at all. I guess it's technically a mixolydian I-VII.

And just like the Kingsmen in Louie Louie, these guys take greater liberties with the minor pentatonic than is already the norm by playing it over not the I but the V position!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019 16:51:19

Bells Of St. Kahuna by Slacktone (live version).

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 12:22:44

I'm working on original titled "Nipmuc vs. Wampanoag." FWIW, I've dropped a bunch of rough demos I've been working on here:

https://www.reverbnation.com/lordwellfleettheoystermen/songs

Note: There are no "Oystermen" (yet), so it's me on lead, rhythm, and bass. Also, the drums are fake: I've produced them by layering individual GarageBand tracks, which I've "played" using GB's "musical typing" feature with mixed results. Whatever

My goal for 2020 is to round up a drummer from an old band of mine and another old musician pal to do proper recordings of these numbers.

Cheers, and keep working on more surf songs!
Big Grin

Not surf, but I've been working on Sultans of Swing. Lots of cool fills and solos.

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins

I'm working on a Christmas tune, actually. Chrismas Time is Here (From Charlie Brown's Christmas). I am NOT used to those crazy jazz chords, but it's a learning experience, I tell ya!

The Men in Gray Suits (Montreal, Canada)
Facebook: The Men in Gray Suits
Instagram: The Men in Gray Suits

The Wedge, although right now I'm only at slightly above half speed Uh-Oh

Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

MichaelK7 wrote:

The Wedge, although right now I'm only at slightly above half speed Uh-Oh

I know what you mean Cool

The same group of notes used on the higher riff as the Spanish Kiss song and live Miserlou transition so I always get them mixed up being the progression is different. On top of that K-39 song has the same group or formation of notes as well along with many other Surf related songs . lol

Anyway if you want to go crazy try this song on for size.
I just picked up Vertigogo by Jan Davis ...got most of the song down but a small part of the solo on the High E and B strings - hard to play but I'm almost there. He tuned his guitar different than standard open E tuning so I had to improvise for that doing it my way in Standard tuning. I don't like alternate tunings so sorry Jan. I mapped out the notes its in A Dorian

https://jguitar.com/scale?root=A&scale=Dorian&fret=0&labels=none&notes=sharps

Not to bad after picking up all the parts, I would have to make a video there are so many intricate parts to it.

One thing I found out, I bought a cheap White Squire Mustang Bullet for 149 dollars. Its a little lame sound wise, but a excellent guitar for picking out notes and mapping out songs from recordings, its just lame enough to hear all the notes right etc. Its real light as well so can play longer etc. Not good for gigging but a great axe to learn songs with. So I will just use it for that. No whammy bar either - its a hard tale, but I usually don't do that learning all the parts anyway. Highly recommend this guitar for learning songs though. I can't put this thing down it works so well learning songs. Its got real cheap strings like most Squires have, and they are great for the tinny sound great for picking out notes. I picked up about four times the rate I usually do it works so well in this capacity. I thought I wasted my money at first but it turned out great in the end. Love this guitar for learning songs. It won't break your back or your bank account either.

Last edited: Nov 01, 2019 11:31:05

Goto Page: Previous 1 250 51 52 53 54 Next