Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink What song are you working on right now?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 553 54 Next

I just took a listen to that live Rap City version. Man what control to play such perfect 16th notes at such a fast clip. Great organ work in the original too re: the I hate organ thread.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

The Venture's Road Runner from Twist Party Volume one. I'm also working on an original tune.

morphball
Trad stuff is usually so quick to learn but gratifying!

Yes -- simple, fun, but still a challenge to play well (for some of us, anyway). I've just started on The Wedge, mainly to practice playing those bursts of double picking while staying in some kind of time.

Longboard Legato by Slacktone. Very melodic and will help add to the more danceable tunes in our sets.

CUTBACK

MissingLink
Yes -- simple, fun, but still a challenge to play well (for some of us, anyway). I've just started on The Wedge, mainly to practice playing those bursts of double picking while staying in some kind of time.

True... I also happened to embark that one several months ago (not that horrible twist version or the one they put on that guitar hero game), and I have to admit it still doesn't sound as good as the original (unless I cheat and slow down the tempo)... hard to compete with the D-man in his prime.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

'the wedge' for me also after seeing the jon and the nightriders version on youtube. it's helpful to see what position jon is playing all the parts at.

carol

www.surfintheeye.com

Right now, I get to work on my (excreble) guitar technique.

We're looking at selling our place, because we've got a wee one coming soon and need a bit more room. So I got to pack up all my music stuff (among other things), except for a guitar and a couple of books. Already moved 6 van loads of stuff into storage, with more to go.

So I get to do all those dull lessony things for a couple months. Ought to do me good.

I've been working on perfecting our latest 2 songs ~ our bass player's songwriting can be fairly challenging at times. I told him he writes "scientist surf".

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

Finished Tradewinds. Mostly. Still need to work on the outro, as the Cossacks just let it fade out. i know what I want to do, just need to figure it out.

Dimension 66 is fairly easy...the main parts repeat. Just need to figure out the bridge.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Bailout from Froggy ....(not sure of the rest!) and Baja - The Chantays, a few Dick Dale 'standards' and Mr Moto - I'm learning rhythm to these and so far so good, allthough there's nights practising where the fingers do not want to work!

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

P2gee

badash
I've never played much Ventures, just the obvious stuff. Walk don't run, diamond head... You know. So I've just decided to go from A to Z on the Ventures albums I have. Learn them in order as they appear on the records. Not worrying about retaining them after I learn them. Learn them correctly, and move on. It's a good exercise.

I have done this and agree it is a good exercise. Besides they have done some pretty cool stuff outside of WDR. Dont know if you have got to Last Date yet, but that one kick my buns for awhile....finally got it though.

I picked up the first part of Walk don't Run. got pretty quick with it, but when I happened to be listening to it & had my guitar.....the pitch was off. Pretty sure I had tuned recently. Are the recordings different?

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Staredge

P2gee

badash
I've never played much Ventures, just the obvious stuff. Walk don't run, diamond head... You know. So I've just decided to go from A to Z on the Ventures albums I have. Learn them in order as they appear on the records. Not worrying about retaining them after I learn them. Learn them correctly, and move on. It's a good exercise.

I have done this and agree it is a good exercise. Besides they have done some pretty cool stuff outside of WDR. Dont know if you have got to Last Date yet, but that one kick my buns for awhile....finally got it though.

I picked up the first part of Walk don't Run. got pretty quick with it, but when I happened to be listening to it & had my guitar.....the pitch was off. Pretty sure I had tuned recently. Are the recordings different?

i seem to recall when i first learned this tune it is slightly off. i'm pretty sure i figured it out from the original ventures version.

www.surfintheeye.com

I had similar problems when I was playing with the records until I found that if I tuned up a half step I was in pitch with the records. Sometimes this is the result of the band actually tuning the instruments up or down a whole or half step or differences in the speeds of the recording or playback equipment. When I was working on Ventures stuff a lot, I just kept one of my guitars (an SG) tuned up a half step and just grab it and go.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

P2gee
I had similar problems when I was playing with the records until I found that if I tuned up a half step I was in pitch with the records. Sometimes this is the result of the band actually tuning the instruments up or down a whole or half step or differences in the speeds of the recording or playback equipment. When I was working on Ventures stuff a lot, I just kept one of my guitars (an SG) tuned up a half step and just grab it and go.

Pretty easy to deal with. If you're tuned to standard tuning, and the fingering is one or two frets off from "home position" for a standard key, you know.

Like if you see that you're playing is centered on the 4th fret, but you're playing standard double stop patterns and riffs that you always play on the 3rd, the odds are they're tuned down a half. Just tune down, or better yet, just shift down to the third fret, where you'll be more comfortable with figuring things out and improvising over the solo, and deal with it. It's better for your brain in the long run to deal with the dissonance...

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 23:04:41

zak

P2gee
I just kept one of my guitars (an SG) tuned up a half step and just grab it and go.

This is exactly why Dick Dale invented the capo. Laughing

I thought the capo was invented by Jose Patino Gonzalez. No?

Mel

I am trying to learn any and all suf songs I can! LOL. But like the true newb that I am, I am struggling to get Walk Don't Run Down. THe arsenal grows...

badash
[

Pretty easy to deal with. If you're tuned to standard tuning, and the fingering is one or two frets off from "home position" for a standard key, you know.

Where I really had problems was songs using the open position and my open tones were not low enough. Back when i only had one guitar I would record songs I wanted to learn to a 90 minute cassette tape, then stop rewind play sections of the song to learn it a section at a time. Eventually I got to where I could play all the songs on the A and B sides of my tape straight thru pretty well. Some of the songs where Dropped D, double drop D, tuned up half step, down a half step....some up a semi tone, some down. I would just stop the tape and twist tuners til i got the tune I needed for the next song. Got pretty good at it actually.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

'all my lovin' by the beatles, rhythm and lead fills, plus the vocals as a guitar part. i know it's not surf but i've still got the reverb cranked up.

www.surfintheeye.com

I'm trying to decide. I have a couple of Razorblades songs I was thinking about, but I may pick a Shadows song to throw into the mix as well. I finished Tradewinds and Dimension 66, now i just need to build speed & accuracy.

Will

The Luau Cinders

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 553 54 Next