Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink What song are you working on right now?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 553 54 Next

For my nickel, much of the fun of guitar playing lies in the process of figuring out a new tune. When I'm hot on the trail, the song consumes me -- I play it over and over both the recording and the "in the head" playback device. I pick up the guitar whenever I get a chance and go over the parts I've already learned, trying to increase my accuracy and work out new sections a bit at at time until the whole picture begins to emerge under my fingers. This week's project is "Black Sand Beach" by Yuzo Kayama. What's yours?

-- Woody

It takes a lot of mussel memory to avoid clams.

I've never played much Ventures, just the obvious stuff. Walk don't run, diamond head... You know. So I've just decided to go from A to Z on the Ventures albums I have. Learn them in order as they appear on the records. Not worrying about retaining them after I learn them. Learn them correctly, and move on. It's a good exercise.

Tradewind by the Space Cossacks and Dimension 66 by The Ghastly Ones.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

I've just finished learning Floating, Turquoise and Land's End all by Laika and the Cosmonauts. Turquoise is one of the toughest I've tried in while, keeps you on your toes but I think I've nailed it.

Stormtiger
Turquoise is one of the toughest I've tried in while, keeps you on your toes but I think I've nailed it.

That's funny you mention that one Doug. We've just started covering that.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I'm working on...
"La Planche" and "Theme For Troubled Youth" by The Vanduras
"Cruel Sea" and "Home" by The Ventures
"Theme For Young Lovers" by The Shadows
"Feel Good All Over" an instrumental by The Shakers from their 1975 Elektra/Asylum LP 'Yankee Reggae'....I'm making a surf tune out of it!!
Aloha Surf Dogs......
R-R

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

Ruhar

Stormtiger
Turquoise is one of the toughest I've tried in while, keeps you on your toes but I think I've nailed it.

That's funny you mention that one Doug. We've just started covering that.

That is without a doubt my favorite by them, the guitar just keeps coming at you. I'd love to hear your rendition.

"e-five" by the eliminators

www.surfintheeye.com

Interesting that this should come up right at a time when I've decided I don't learn enough songs through and through. I'm trying to take the initiative now.

A couple weeks ago I figured out "Runaway From Zardoz" by Los Twang Marvels, which might just be my single favorite song to play. Such a great tune, and with lots to do on the fretboard which keeps it fun. That guy Alex really knows how to compose a song. And just today I started working on "Tokyo Drifter" by the Born Losers (or is it just "Born Losers"?). Abraham has got me hooked listening to these guys. Really great stuff.

Working on Lynxtail. Rhythm and Lead. And trying to master barre chords for the first time.

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

Cool "Tokyo Drifter" by the Born Losers is da shiznit. I really dig their tune "Cycle Guitars" I just finished learning that one. And I'm also learning some songs on the drums. I'm trying to play "Boot-Leg" by Booker T & the MG's. Also some Sonics tunes. I'm learning "The Hustler", "Shot Down", and I'm trying "Cinderella"(this one is a little difficult for me because of the bass drum patterns). That Bob Bennette is pretty damn' crazy. I love his drumming, probably one of my favorites! Also a little early 90's gangsta ass HipHop(also on the drums).

The Deadbeats

Theme for slaying beauty...

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

Not exactly surf, though it may be before I'm done with it...Invention in F by everybody's friend J.S. Bach

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

Ewa on the Beach, by Frankie & the Poolboys.

CUTBACK

See this youtube vid at 0:35 for the perfect Luther Perkins drip. That's what I'm working on. Thumbs Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_HL0WA_bas

Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll - I eat reverb for breakfast!

Fenderus Collecticus
Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

badash
I've never played much Ventures, just the obvious stuff. Walk don't run, diamond head... You know. So I've just decided to go from A to Z on the Ventures albums I have. Learn them in order as they appear on the records. Not worrying about retaining them after I learn them. Learn them correctly, and move on. It's a good exercise.

I have done this and agree it is a good exercise. Besides they have done some pretty cool stuff outside of WDR. Dont know if you have got to Last Date yet, but that one kick my buns for awhile....finally got it though.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009 09:27:18

An hour and two Mai Tais later.....this stuff is hard!!!!! Glad I have my trainer. Can't imagine trying to do this stuff at speed. Did manage to hit a riff that I have always loved. Groovy

(One of my favorite air guitar riffs!!!!!! )

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Yesterday I started working on the Ventures' "Rap City" (Brahms's Hungarian Dance No. 5), probably my favorite track on their live album. Damn, it's tough! But tons of fun to play. This has been a good exercise in a) using my pinky finger more and b) focusing on more precise, snappy playing. Great arrangement, and a nice challenge.

I got frustrated with Setzer's version of Caravan this weekend, and knocked out a couple I was meaning to learn, Our Favorite Martian (LSJ) and Squad Car (SP). Trad stuff is usually so quick to learn but gratifying!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

wooza
Yesterday I started working on the Ventures' "Rap City" (Brahms's Hungarian Dance No. 5), probably my favorite track on their live album. Damn, it's tough! But tons of fun to play. This has been a good exercise in a) using my pinky finger more and b) focusing on more precise, snappy playing. Great arrangement, and a nice challenge.

Ben, nice choice! We've been covering that one for about a year or so.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 553 54 Next