Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink mmmmm... burger.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next

no, this isn't a Treblemakers thread! Razz

I think we've done the burger thread before, but I think in contrast to the taco thread, we need a burger thread.

OK! Favorite burger joint:

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Jeff, break out the list!

We have buffalo burgers here. But I'd rather have a taco damnit!

I've always like to make my own. They aren't great, and they are rather plain, but not bad.

JakeDobner
I've always like to make my own. They aren't great, and they are rather plain, but not bad.

Me too, but we need gig food info (unless you want to invite us to your place! ;) )

we have a little greasy diner here at 8mile and vandyke, called whiteways.. been around since like '52 with the same family running it...

AMAZING cheeseburgers... best i have ever had.. little barburgers basically

Mustard and pickles for me.... ketcup is the devil's sauce

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

'tortugas' lie' in nags head, north carolina.....caribbean jerk burger with homemade fries.

www.surfintheeye.com

In'n'out - nuff said

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Tikitena

JakeDobner

Me too, but we need gig food info (unless you want to invite us to your place! ;) )

Please, come over.

the best burger i ever had was at a small original 50's hamburger stand in harrisburg PA . they were called bunny burgers ,they were amazing ,and to boot they had original 50's early 60's pinball machines there,and a cherry limeade that made you wanna slap yo momma.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008 20:32:25

My 3 fave burger joints, in order:

U.S.Cafe, Smyrna, GA

The Vortex, Little 5 Points, Atlanta

In-N-Out Burger... unfortunately none located anywhere near here Sad

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

In my neck of the woods, we have a little burger joint where you can get a burger called a "Big Mac". It's pretty good- two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions- all on a sesame seed bun. The name of the place is "McDonald's". You should try it if you ever get to my part of the country...

Actually, I go to a place called "Charlie's", which is a local haunt that has been family-owned and operated since the 1940's. It's a little bit of heaven on earth, but with pickles! If any of you ever get to the Delaware/Philadelphia area, "Charlie's" is on me!

In-N-Out and Tommy's run first and second when I want to feel like dying right after eating. Knollwood's is great for when I don't (and am in Orange County).

Honorable Mentions: Astro Burger in Tustin & any place that serves a good Teriyaki burger.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

kickthetank
the best burger i ever had was at a small original 50's hamburger stand in harrisburg PA . they were called bunny burgers ,they were amazing ,and to boot they had original 50's early 60's pinball machines there,and a cherry limeade that made you wanna slap yo momma.

Whoa! Charlie's has a bunny burger, but I was always afraid to order one, because I thought it was actually made from rabbit! I wonder if the two places are somehow related... Philly and Harrisburg are pretty close. Charlie's is closed on Tuesdays; what about Bunny's?

After a hard night of drinking in L.A. we would go to The Original Tommy's for an in your face chili cheeseburger, chili cheese fries, chili cheese dogs piled high with onions and thick slices of tomatoes and plenty of those hot little yellow peppers. The smell would linger in your car for days if you chose to eat in your car. They make doubles and even triple chili burgers if you ask and open 24 hours to boot! image

Tikitena

For HB and vicinity Jeff's list is in the SG101 Meeting thread, I think.

My own discovery, useful if you're willing to go up Beach Blvd. to Westminster is Norm's. It was on the south side a block or two before Interstate 5. I was staying in a place on the other side of I5. It was OK, but I'm not sure of the neighborhood. The desk was fortified like a gas station in DC.

And by the way, a survival technique or two for non-Californians driving in LA:

1) The sign with arrows indicating which direction will be N and which S when you get to the I5 is, like, miles before you get there. So, no, you aren't lost if it seems like you driven miles since you saw that sign.

2) There are several Airport Blvds. I think.

3) The signs that say whether you can pull a U-turn - and you have to pull them all the time - are hanging from the traffic light cross arm, not standing on the end of the median.

WoodyJ
U.S.Cafe, Smyrna, GA(

is this where we ate with you and mr. katcher last winter?

Tuck
1) The sign with arrows indicating which direction will be N and which S when you get to the I5 is, like, miles before you get there. So, no, you aren't lost if it seems like you driven miles since you saw that sign.

2) There are several Airport Blvds. I think.

#1 you noticed this too.
#2 i was thinking the same thing. : )

www.surfintheeye.com

Last edited: Dec 06, 2014 10:41:44

Now in Denver, Colorado, for after show food, and the shows generally end c. 1:30 AM, try:

• Breakfast King (24 hour) at Santa Fe and Mississippi. Haven't actually tried this yet, but I just found out about it. I have good reports. From people who seem to have survived it. There was a report of some kind of "melee" (in the bar, not the BK) after the last show in that vicinity that I woudl have gone to, but I don't think it was because the Breakfast King was reported closed, so good to go.

• If you get your self out there before 11:00 or so there's a barely tolerable pizza by the slice place about halfway between 3 Kings and the Skylark on Broadway. You know the kind of place: "Yeah we got pepperoni - I'll just throw a few bits of it on this dry yet greasy generic-pizza-slice-like object and give it a perfunctory warming up. Oh, hey, it's still warm anyways." Closed by the time the clubs close, but a lifesaver if you came straight from work without a chance to eat. You can hit it between sets.

• A few miles further south on Broadway there's an actual pizza parlor a few blocks south of Bushwackers, but again, it closes early, so hit it before the first set ends. If you miss it, there's a walk up window hamburger place - I forget the chain, but it's a decent one - a few blocks beyond that.

• If you're in the Skylark sometimes you get lucky and the roving burrito man comes through around 11:30 PM-midnight, with a hotbox full of burritos and a little twirling burrito sign. He hits other places, too, but you can't count on it. But he can't count on you either, so it's even.

• The Invaders sometimes play places like the Conor O'Neill's or the Lansdown Inn Pub that have fairly decent food available early, if you get there before the kitchen closes. At CON best get there before the show, which starts at 10:00.

• I'm not proud to know it, but the McDonald's in Broomfield about three fourths of the way from South Denver's Idyllic Clublands to the suburban wastes north of Denver where I live has a drive-through window that's open all night. One time I was "too late for ice tea." I think that meant that the machine had gotten so fetid they were soaking it in some kind of disinfectant.

• There's an actual music club in my area with "good food." For a small fortune they'll bring you a tiny plate with something decorative on it. They have big name professional local and touring musical entertainment. I'd go there more often, but the only act that ever interested me enough to go there before I stopped paying attention to their brochures was the high school jazz band. They let the middle school band open, which was a mistake, because it was just as good and played better songs. The two kids playing sax were very promising, particularly a short, heavy set kid playing alto. He looked like he was having a good time, too, so there's hope for the world after all.

tommyalvarado

kickthetank

Whoa! Charlie's has a bunny burger, but I was always afraid to order one, because I thought it was actually made from rabbit! I wonder if the two places are somehow related... Philly and Harrisburg are pretty close. Charlie's is closed on Tuesdays; what about Bunny's?

i wanna say the name of that place is called charlie's and it's off the side of an old freeway. i gotta check with my friend in HBG. i'm in pittsburgh where i haven't really had a descent burger yet,but i've had a gyro that would make yer head do 360's,and believe it or not better pizza than NY.

Tuck

Tikitena

For HB and vicinity Jeff's list is in the SG101 Meeting thread, I think.

My own discovery, useful if you're willing to go up Beach Blvd. to Westminster is Norm's. It was on the south side a block or two before Interstate 5. I was staying in a place on the other side of I5. It was OK, but I'm not sure of the neighborhood. The desk was fortified like a gas station in DC.

Norms Beach & I5? Thats Buena Park WAAAAAY north of Surf City. We have a norms on beach in Surf City but few of us even consider that food. If you want a good burger in Surf City there are numerous choices. Even the IHOP is better... Glad you didnt get food poisoning.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 517 18 Next