Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Surf Guitar 101 Convention?

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 27 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next

I think this will have to be a thing that starts out small and let it grow over time, I was speaking to my wife Marie and she had an excellent suggestion
she said start ourt small and have HBISM host it in the parking lot with a big tent with merch booths from the band or representative of the group, Dario's instrument booth, surf related crafts, open jam, work shops etc. have a grill, food drinks all in one place why drive around just keep it all in one location.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV BUMP VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

dubtrub

eddiekatcher
Somehow, when I saw this post originally, I envisioned a long weekend somewhere hanging out, jamming with new and old friends, some somewhat organized bands' performances, beer drinking......what have you. A far less formal affair. A great time for we.....who love this music, to build a stronger organization and network.........ed

I agree.

That's the way I thought an SG 101 Convention would be conducted. If I wanted to go see a show, I would go. Meeting, jamming, socializing, BS'ing, drinking, partying, sharing ideas, licks and equipment, and enhance the camaraderie of SG101 members was my idea of an SG101 Convention.

It doesn't have to be a big production with mega star bands. That is unless they want to 'donate' their time and energy. All proceeds garnered should go to paying expenses and anything left over would go to promoting the next SG101 Convention to make it even bigger and better.

If it's just going to be a get together to go see some bands play and pay a cover charge, hell, we can do that anytime.

Colorado sounds fine to me. I've been to conventions and seminars of various sorts all over the continental US and there are always exciting new places to go. For example the best "blues fest' I've attended was in Council Bluff Iowa. Went to one on Beale Street in Memphis (the home of the blues) and learned that we have better blues fest here in (country western capital of the west) Bakersfield California. I don't buy into all that 'stuff' about having to have a surf convention on the beach. It's where the interest is and where we can get the biggest turn out of SG101 members that matters.

Danny

OK, after all the smoke clears, when everyone gets a chance, RE-read these posts.....It makes a lot of sense.........seriously!
Well put Danny and Ed. Thumbs Up

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008 17:31:15

bigtikidude
F F F***
read what is being done.!!!!!!!

the tiki is just a place to have the Meetings that everybody wants to have.
we could do it in a blank white room woooohhoooooo
or we could get togehter and talk in a cool tiki place.
wtf???

I think my plan is good.
Jeff(Bigtikidude)

It's just sounds like to much hopn' around and with LA/OC traffic, and parking, we would have to all car pool if we're all going to hop-scotch from one place to another and you also have to keep in mind the folks that are flying in they might not have wheels to get around and that's more money out of pocket I think we should just keep it simple in one place.

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008 17:31:18

Look, the "convention" would be at Sams seafood, or somewhere else.
from 10 am to 6pm
1 day.
talk, mingle, legends questions, seminars, vendors, just in a cool place.
and there would be food and drinks, which some people said they would wanted anyways.

BUT.....
there would be a show on
Sat night and the Sun pier show too.

its simple
one day convention,
around the same time that shows are happening,
to intice peopel to come, stay for the weekend, and see bands they migt not be able to see.

capice?
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm with Jeff, keep it simple, no fuss no muss

Agree

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/rockinrio.delrosa

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/TheHighTides

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pages/The-Blue-Demons

Maui
1 2 & 3 August 2008 in Huntington Beach. The easy choice. The Huntington beach international surf museum will have the "Surfin' Sunday" on the beach with 6 great bands starting at 11:00AM until dark. That would leave Friday night for a show, Saturday for studio jams and workshops with the legends, Saturday night for another show and all day Sunday on the beach watching Surf Bands.
I have a tenitive line up for Sufin' Sunday but I'm not sure if it is confirmed yet. Some really good bands, I know that for sure and in the process you will be supporting the museum...................

Like I said way back on page 6..................Lets do it Jeff!
By the way , The Purple Orcid is one of the coolest bars I've ever been in.

thanks Maui,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008 18:16:26

bigtikidude
Look, the "convention" would be at Sams seafood, or somewhere else.
from 10 am to 6pm
1 day.
talk, mingle, legends questions, seminars, vendors, just in a cool place.
and there would be food and drinks, which some people said they would wanted anyways.

BUT.....
there would be a show on
Sat night and the Sun pier show too.

its simple
one day convention,
around the same time that shows are happening,
to intice peopel to come, stay for the weekend, and see bands they migt not be able to see.

capice?
Jeff(bigtikidude)

OK in the simple format you posted above I dig! what your wrote in a couple posts back was not sounding simple. sheesh... that was all I was tryin to say and get at so no bad blood homie.

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Kyle
what you just quoted, is the same thing I said before, just more Brief.
if people dont want to go to the surf shows, Sat nite, or sunday at the pier , fine,.
but I say we have the convention at a place that has food and drinks,
not in the parking lot of the Museum, thats not classy.
if people wanna see the Museum they can do that on Sun before or after the Pier gig.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm pretty confident with this Idea,
so im Gonna bump it.
weather it happens this year or in 09.
Jeff(btd)

bigtikidude
OK idea here.
if its a convention, and not a big weekend show, like for LV Grind or etc.
I say we mix the convention with shows all ready happening.

there will be 3 big HB pier shows on Sundays this year.
schedule should be posted soon.

what if we do the Convention thing on a Sat. afternoon, the day before.
so.
a. Fri. people show up meet at a tiki bar( or any bar) and drink and talk, meet up.
b. Sat. Surf convention 10 am to 6 pm at a BigRestaurant in a banquet room., vendors welcome( Dario, Double Crown, etc...)
which entails eating drinking, meeting, a small stage for jams. seminars.
c. Sat. nite. go to a surf show of local surf bands.( they usually happen)
d. Sun. go to HB Pier surf show from 11 am to 5 pm. talking and such is allowed its outside so your not going to annoy anybody.
e. Sun. Evening hang out after either at the beach. or go to the restaurant from the day before.

• Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach about 5 miles North of HB pier would be ideal. Good food, tiki drinks and beer, and great atmosphere, and
    back banquet room that holds about 200 and has stage for the jams.

whaddya think?
I think this may be it.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sounds killers man I just hope I can at least make it out if you guys do plan it this August but with being in SoCal the month before will be hard on the pockets to cruz to SoCal again I want to be apart of this big time and to help in anyway shape or form!

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Kyle,
if we do it this year, we will plan it when you guys are in town.
Ok?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

You guys don't have to but it sure would be boss Groovy

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I like it Jeff!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

With the Vegas festival idea, I wasn't really thinking it'd be that big - somewhere that holds like 200-300 people. The problem with the LV Grind fests was it was in a ballroom that holds 2000-3000 people. Ideally it would feature bands big enough to draw a big percentage of the SG101 crowd.

The SoCal idea does make sense too though - I just worry that what's being mentioned today really won't bring in that many people. After all, how many people flew into California to see any of the HBISM shows last year? Keeping it small and safe is a reasonable idea, especially since no one (so far) has stepped up and said they are ready to coordinate this whole thing. However, I think small and safe is gonna translate to a SoCal SG101 convention, not really something that a many people are gonna fly in for. Due to it's very nature, SG101 is a place where we can have discussions about surf music and gear - not face to face with drinks in hand, admittedly, but it really does seem like if we're gonna have a big gathering, there really has to be something special going on. And it needs to be easy to get to.

I guess at this point I'm willing to continue discussing this and maybe at some point someone will step forward to coordinate this. At that point we can see what direction this will go.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

I think Jeff has a great start. The logistical needs are met by someplace like Sam's. There's food, booze, atmosphere, space, parking, restrooms and nearby lodging that won't break the bank. I've been there at a Torquays concert and it was awesome. You drive down PCH ten minutes or so and you're at HB pier. Not bad.

I don't think anyone made a mention for this to be an "all-star" thing. It involves as many surf bands and folks that can show up. If successful can grow but you still need some organization because of the number of folks that will be there. Having a venue that can accomodate the numbers, is somewhat centrally located and close to the action (aka the Pier) is a wise move. Again, hail to Jeff.

I don't think it's out of the question to be looking at
twenty bands in two days. It can be done. Two ten hour days of playing. MySpace, OC and LA Weekly can be used to help advertise it and help pay for it all. It could be hewwwwge with the public turnout depending on how you promote it.

Figure 3-5 members per band and we're already at 60-100 people. Figure they all bring a friend, significant other/wife and you are looking 120-200 people. Invite the general public to it (~30-60 people-a super low turnout) and that's still ~300 people level chaos without organization.

This is nowhere needing/intending to be a big event but to try to bill various surf bands and not exclude anyone, when you put pen to paper and start adding things up it's going to need some wise planning, organization and leadership (aka promoter) for it not be a fiasco.

Since people mentioned that it be a convention, Not a big LV type 3 day show,
I thought doing a convention 10 am to 6 pm durring a period of time when
bands would be playing on a Sat. night and Sun. day would be an added bonus.
seems either way people dont like what im suggesting.

this is why I was hesitant to say anything in the beginning.

ugh,
I give up.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Maybe we could get the Ghastly Ones and Volcanics and a garage band to do a show on a Fri. or Sat. nite. to get the non Hawiian shirt fans here, and then a mix of others too do the other night.

the jamming, and seminars with Legends would be at the convention durring the day.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sams would work for this also unless it conflicts with the polynesian review nights.

Add the reforming New Sounds with maybe a special guest to close the night for a few tunes on that bill...

you guys cover alot of ground here in just a matter of hours.

bigtikidude
Maybe we could get the Ghastly Ones and Volcanics and a garage band to do a show on a Fri. or Sat. nite. to get the non Hawiian shirt fans here, and then a mix of others too do the other night.

the jamming, and seminars with Legends would be at the convention durring the day.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff Utterback

Hey BW Jeff,
they dont do the Polynesian review at Sam's anymore.
it closed and reopened all remodeled better food,
more mediteranian style in the main restaurant,
the bar is similar, and the back room is similar.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 27 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next