Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Surf Guitar 101 Convention?

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 28 9 10 11 12 13 Next

I'm good with whatever the majority would like to see happen. Vegas or So-Cal. I'm just glad to be playing again.

I played the Double Down with the Cads and the place was going off.

I also did the Hard Rock in Newport with the Surfaris and that place went off.

(Vegas Rockabilly vs. Hawaiian Shirt crowd)

I've seen pics of the Shadow fests' in England in steril white rooms and they go off!

It's going to be about the passion of the promoters and participants to make it work, regardless of the venue.

sounds fun so far. keep the discussion alive.

Double-Crown-Records
With the Vegas festival idea, I wasn't really thinking it'd be that big - somewhere that holds like 200-300 people. The problem with the LV Grind fests was it was in a ballroom that holds 2000-3000 people. Ideally it would feature bands big enough to draw a big percentage of the SG101 crowd.

The SoCal idea does make sense too though - I just worry that what's being mentioned today really won't bring in that many people. After all, how many people flew into California to see any of the HBISM shows last year? Keeping it small and safe is a reasonable idea, especially since no one (so far) has stepped up and said they are ready to coordinate this whole thing. However, I think small and safe is gonna translate to a SoCal SG101 convention, not really something that a many people are gonna fly in for. Due to it's very nature, SG101 is a place where we can have discussions about surf music and gear - not face to face with drinks in hand, admittedly, but it really does seem like if we're gonna have a big gathering, there really has to be something special going on. And it needs to be easy to get to.

I guess at this point I'm willing to continue discussing this and maybe at some point someone will step forward to coordinate this. At that point we can see what direction this will go.

Jeff Utterback

Next you'll tell me they took 'Get Smart' off the air!

Man, where did I put my AARP card?

bigtikidude
Hey BW Jeff,
they dont do the Polynesian review at Sam's anymore.
it closed and reopened all remodeled better food,
more mediteranian style in the main restaurant,
the bar is similar, and the back room is similar.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff Utterback

Let's have a poll!

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Yes, it's the SG101 way after all.

SG101! Thread Hijack Off Topic Agree Sorry Stuff Hits the Fan Stir the Pot Suicide

I got a ...pole...... Rolling Eyes Wink Shocked

what? im a pool guy, I use a metal Pole for work.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Alright Jeff.
You've been sniffin' too much chlorine.
Find yourself a girlfriend and put your other pole to use..............
"Man cannot live on Surf Shows alone".
Billy

Be careful following the masses. Sometimes the "M" is silent...........................

Maui
1 2 & 3 August 2008 in Huntington Beach. The easy choice. The Huntington beach international surf museum will have the "Surfin' Sunday" on the beach with 6 great bands starting at 11:00AM until dark. That would leave Friday night for a show, Saturday for studio jams and workshops with the legends, Saturday night for another show and all day Sunday on the beach watching Surf Bands.
I have a tenitive line up for Sufin' Sunday but I'm not sure if it is confirmed yet. Some really good bands, I know that for sure and in the process you will be supporting the museum...................

This is still a good idea I think..............

I've been following the poll on the front page and it's amazing that so many people are logged on but have NOT voted. It's anonymous.

C'mon y'all.

Sad .... Crying
and Lame OMG

I'm really ready for.. Cheers Groovy Guitar and SG101!

but its more like... Duh Whack Fight and Sleeping

I hate to be one to Blah Blah and Stir the Pot

but the response here makes me want to Puke and Suicide

Sorry

but the Dead Thread response is just Thumbs Down

well the Stuff Hits the Fan now after this post but oh well RTFM

I had to say what I've been Hmmm

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow, for crying out loud...what did you expect, the poll on the front page has been up for less than 24 hours! Not everyone checks SG101 daily, let alone hourly!!!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian,
I understand your point, however this is why I suggested having the poll vote being taken upon a log-in. I see the front page and all the folks logged in and go "what? ...why haven't they voted?"

Just tryin' to help.

I see 22 votes so far so that's real cool...

I'm not going to totally recode the login process just for this. A story on the front page may help however. Smile It needs to run for at least a week.

But really, screw the poll. A hardcore group of us wants this to happen. So someone just organize a SMALL get together around when say The Madeira come to town. If people come and have fun, then we succeeded.

Brian,
one small problem,
Kyle was the one who came up with the idea,
I told him If I was to do something, I would try to do it when they were here in July,
Maderia is gonna be here in Aug.

now what do I do.

I know that Kyle probably can't afford to fly back down,
in Aug. for the convention, meeting if we did it then.

see always dilemmas.
ugh,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Brian
A hardcore group of us wants this to happen. So someone just organize a SMALL get together around when say The Madeira come to town. If people come and have fun, then we succeeded.

So beautifully put. I just had to see it repeated.

We can't please everyone. Sorry. The Madeira coming to So Cal seems like a "big thing" that would perhaps normally attract out-of-towners anyway. That's why I keep harping on that. Perhaps there are other "big things" in 2008 that I don't know about that would work too.

But c'mon guys. There will be no convention with booths and laminated passes. Nokie Edwards will not be there. It's gonna have to be a party/dinner/get together. Maybe a jam session if we have the right room. But what do I know, I'm 1000 miles away. Hell I don't even know if I can come. I'll be quiet now.

A small group is just as good as a big group if everyone has a good time.

I can't say much, but guaranteed I'll be there, and several of my best Colorado friends will too. we can put on a great jam, and put together some other fun SG101 related events too.

I hope Kyle can make it - even if he has to sell some gear!
Wink

If people really want to show up, they can make it happen - excuses are easier than actions.

Let's just do it!

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008 13:51:00

listen, it was never going to be big, not in a million years. just look at hwo's regular here and where they come from. that's actually a good thing, you could organize something small without having to put up money upfront, just to see if it works. do the small afternoon-show-beachwalk in the morning for who's still there thing around the verbtones. does it really mattter if it's 20 or 50 people? as long as it's fun! Now if it's a succes (in terms of fun, not in terms of attendance), there's no reason to not do it again when the Madiera comes.

I would see if there's a small bar or whatever that will let you have a jamsession in the afternoon, for little money or none at all, say 12-4pm... promise no one will bring his own drinks and they'll sell a little, there's uaually someone around to sweep and prepare around that time anyway, and little to no customers. Go have a few drinks and dinner togetehr after that, and no one is going to have to put money up upfront, and what you'd need is a rough estimate of who's coming, that's all.

you know, I think some of the expectations and suggestions in the first thread were completly absurd and clueless, but it would be really great if something came from this, and I for one would regret not being able to be there. it's possible, and the gettogether will be awesome, Im quite sure of that. It's a shame this is going down the drain fast. And read back the thread Jeff, you are the main person radiating negativty here, and Kyle seems to have dissapeared. what a great organizing committtee. Confused

(unless of course Kyle is actually off organizing something, because in all honesty, I think it would be best to not talk about it on the forums untill an actual plans has been made)

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

WR
listen, it was never going to be big, not in a million years. just look at hwo's regular here and where they come from. that's actually a good thing, you could organize something small without having to put up money upfront, just to see if it works. do the small afternoon-show-beachwalk in the morning for who's still there thing around the verbtones. does it really mattter if it's 20 or 50 people? as long as it's fun! Now if it's a succes (in terms of fun, not in terms of attendance), there's no reason to not do it again when the Madiera comes.

I would see if there's a small bar or whatever that will let you have a jamsession in the afternoon, for little money or none at all, say 12-4pm... promise no one will bring his own drinks and they'll sell a little, there's uaually someone around to sweep and prepare around that time anyway, and little to no customers. Go have a few drinks and dinner togetehr after that, and no one is going to have to put money up upfront, and what you'd need is a rough estimate of who's coming, that's all.

you know, I think some of the expectations and suggestions in the first thread were completly absurd and clueless, but it would be really great if something came from this, and I for one would regret not being able to be there. it's possible, and the gettogether will be awesome, Im quite sure of that. It's a shame this is going down the drain fast. And read back the thread Jeff, you are the main person radiating negativty here, and Kyle seems to have dissapeared. what a great organizing committtee. Confused

(unless of course Kyle is actually off organizing something, because in all honesty, I think it would be best to not talk about it on the forums untill an actual plans has been made)

WR I'm still here I have only been watching, not much else I can say that I haven't said before, round and round it goes I'm in the same boat.

I'm still in a 101%

Good call to have it planned behind the scenes I like that idea Wink

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Im glad Kyle. It's been really frustrating watching all this, I think that if you and Jeff would have taken it off-forum right form the start, kept your feet on the ground, and maybe ask advice form a few people directly, something would have been organized by now. Im still hoping that it works out.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Goto Page: Previous 1 28 9 10 11 12 13 Next