SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Shoutbox

Brian: Thank you Linda, all the best to you.
122 days ago

Brian: Hello Johnny!
122 days ago

Tqi: Is it morally acceptable to use a Radial capacitor in a 1960 amp design?
121 days ago

synchro: TQI, morality is a huge question and capacitors a deep subject. I say do it and don't tell anyone. Smile
110 days ago

bigtikidude: 2018 SG101 convention,
82 days ago

bigtikidude: Who's coming ?
82 days ago

bigtikidude: https://surf...
82 days ago

Clint: I started a YouTube channel: “Surf Music Videos”. https://www.... Hit me up with your favorite “surf” videos and I add them to the list. Thanks!
82 days ago

Tqi: Synchro, I managed to squeeze the Axial's in. Still working on how to lay them out next to the pots though.
70 days ago

dragonfly: Being homebound I just downloaded SG101 2014 music and loving it. Hooray for downloads. Thanks to everyone responsible. HBISM retired coordinator 2014 Cool
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Build Log: Slightly-modified European version of a 6G14 Showman, for bass use.

New Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5

About time for an update, don't you think?

First up, most important bit: Working with PTFE coated Aerospace wire, a brief review for the guy from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.

It's honestly fine, but only once you've stripped your ends. That part is horrific. But it takes heat like a champ, it's very strong and it does actually do what it tells you, at least much better than I expected:

image

So, work on wiring has clearly started to progress. With some encouragement from someone on MEF, I managed to flatten out all my 'standing' axials, so this is the current state of my circuit board. I haven't got the transformers, and I haven't mounted the boards in the chassis yet, so there's still work to do; but it's about 80% complete!

image

I also put a test load of the 6N2P-EV tubes, and a used set of 6P3S tubes that cost $10. The specs are way too low for the amp, but they should last long enough as a test; and if I've made a heinous screw-up, I don't want to fry a decent set.

image

Tqi wrote:

First up, most important bit: Working with PTFE coated Aerospace wire, a brief review for the guy from a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.

I bought PTFE because I'm a novice and couldn't understand the US/EU wire standards, With PTFE one size does everything. I wasn't being critical just interested how you'd work it because it's different to anything I've used before - I genuinely like the stuff. It does have a reluctance to form sharp angled shapes often causing attractive arcs from point to point and all my plier cutters were ineffective. Betelgeuse over and out:)

My story isn't too far off: There were two choices on AmpMaker and 'one size does everything' was basically my thinking. I definitely like it as well, though it's annoying that buying big reels seems a challenge for consistency.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Top