Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink -

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

So much of the brownface tone depends on the color of the tolex, though. I say go blonde with a brown plate and the cream knobs. For those who know enough to look closely, perhaps they'll be thrilled to discover that the extra knob controls the amount of NFB (I'm going to call it "tempering" on mine) and the slider "boost" switch kicks in that extra half of the 12AX7. Or maybe since you're using it for bass, it's just a regular deep switch? Or better yet, one channel has deep and one has boost.

Then again, the tuxedo look is quite sharp too. I say just stay away from blackface knobs. Real men put their numbers on the faceplate. And those knobs are total tone suckers.

For a power cut, I was assuming it would disable two power tubes. I do plan on using a tapped transformer so the switch would control both, I guess. My Carvin has this feature and I have the schematic so even though I can't really read it, the design precedent is there and available. I guess. Although it doesn't look like the power switch actually does anything to the impedance section. Maybe it's just not that important..

All this power cut talk actually reminds me of an important question I meant to ask: is the Bassman's easy breakup even due to the fact that it uses just two power tubes? Or is there something else in the circuit that contributes? I mean do all those 2-tube brownfaces break up as easily as a Bassman? I was surprised how dirty it got at kinda low volume.

Also, I just ordered (10) 70k tap pots from Australia.

Last edited: Apr 03, 2018 14:49:43

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:53:28

I do expect you to take it seriously! I was being flippant but I do consider the aesthetic design serious business. I've been working on the same thing, actually. My first direction was to break completely from Fender and go with a color and material palette taken from both Hammond and Rhodes. That is, black, brushed aluminum, and wood.

Decidedly unsurfy but a handsome scheme nonetheless.

When you make some choices on that matter I can mock something up in Sketchup if you'd like a visualization. It's a great way to work out details.

The mini Bassman is a cool idea but I don't really have a need for it. I think if I were going to do a warm-up amp before the main event I'd just do a regular Bassman or even a single channel version. But big enough to be used as a regular performance amp.

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:49:10

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:49:16

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:49:21

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:49:26

Tqi wrote:

Use a 230V power transformer because America just has to be different from everyone else. Wink

American homes receive 240 volts at the panel but send 120v to the outlets. Some homes if not most have 220v for stoves, water heaters, for larger appliances, air conditioning, furnaces.

It was Edison's idea to keep the voltage low to be safe as back then it was DC not AC that was running through the transmission lines which were bare wires over insulators.

Also his light bulb worked on 110 volts so he went with that.

Japan's voltage is 100 volts.

Basically 110/120vac is safer, less lethal.

The argument of Tesla vs Edison ensued, but since someone wanted to make money selling transmission lines, wireless electricity was derailed.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018 08:49:06

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:49:31

dragonsurfer wrote:

Tqi wrote:

dragonsurfer wrote:

Tqi wrote:
Wink

From Emojipedia:

Winking Face. A classic winky emoji; winking and smiling. Used to imply humor in written form...

Just for the record...

Yes got it and understood before posting.

But just for the record, making things clear for others who will read this that are not part of the day-to-day camaraderie and may not get the tongue-in-cheek inference of the prevailing clique mind.

We (I for one) are writing for a larger group than just the locals.

If we want to be relevant for posterity.

Just saying. Smile

Dr. Emmett Brown: Is there a problem with Earth's gravitational pull in the future? Why is everything so heavy?

Those Fender Super Sonic amps have an adjustment on the back for "how the amp interacts with the speakers", which I'm thinking is probably the NFB circuit. How about your effects channel gets a deep or bright switch on the slider (or better yet, use a three position slider and do both) and the normal channel slider cuts or reduces your NFB? This seems like a nice way to further differentiate the character of the two channels.

Upon further reflection, the NFB cut would be a global thing, as it inserts downstream of the preamp sections.

Tqi, you want it, you need it, and you make it happen. that's inspiring to witness! I almost went that route, but was blessed to find a BF Showman that satisfies me to no end. Invested my time in restoring it, building a tone-ring cab and a couple of Surfy's and other pedals... Why won't you incorporate a Surfy-Bear Reverb circuit in there? got the space.
While the parts are hot and glorious, now's the time to ask you to please take it safe and slow... and congrats on the thread name change.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018 14:40:33

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:49:37

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:49:41

The transformer makes or breaks the amp tone.

The original iron in the trannys is what makes them sound good.

Many will get an old original and have it rewound.

You're going through all the other parts tolerance-ing this and that.

Guys like Clapton did not go through transformer swaps for nothing in his search for tone.

This one's sold though.

https://reverb.com/item/3554592-fender-twin-reverb-1964-output-transformer-needs-rewind

Here's one in your neck of the woods:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1969-Fender-Dual-Showman-Power-Transformer/201833330095?hash=item2efe3435af:g:yO4AAOSwXYtYseJd

Wink

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018 23:28:24

It's an interesting conundrum, this transformer issue. My thought is that Dario's amps sound awesome and they probably use modern transformers. I suppose it might be gauche to ask an owner to peek under the hood but the point is there's a legit solution out there and perhaps your optimistic assumption of wiggle room is in fact appropriate.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018 00:57:40

Redfeather wrote:

It's an interesting conundrum, this transformer issue. My thought is that Dario's amps sound awesome and they probably use modern transformers. I suppose it might be gauche to ask an owner to peek under the hood but the point is there's a legit solution out there and perhaps the wiggle room you optimistically assume is in fact appropriate.

I purchased an Ampeg B25b bass amp from a sound stage back-line supplier. I had heard the amp live at a show, being used for bass and thought it had a great sound. The strings had this nice tone sustain I had not heard from my old SVT. And then it (the B25b) went up for sale. The back line company owner wasn't a musician, more of a businessman. He did not want a tube amp to look after and it was just another widget to him.

When I got to eyeball it at his storage facility, I noticed the transformer had been replaced. BUT I had heard the amp and liked its tone. Point is whatever he had some tech put in there created this tone serendipitously. I have not investigated what xformer is in there. It just worked well with the rest of the circuit.

Telling the owner that it was not the original tranny got him to knock 50% off the price. So for $120 I get this B25b head complete with the 2x15 Ampeg B25b fridge sized cab.

So the wiggle room does exist.

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:49:45

-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024 15:50:31

Tqi wrote:

When it comes to the power transformer, the only way to be vintage correct is for me to move to the USA and go back in time to the period to get the correct voltages.

You could still use a step-down transformer to run a 120 volt amp on your power grid. It's what major tours do all the time when they go to 240 volt countries and bring USA gear.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next