Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink CDs not as dead as people thought.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6

As we are mixing our next album right now, I can’t help but wonder if people (not us musician weirdos or vinyl collectors, but the average consumer) even purchases media on any physical format anymore. I don’t think packaging the music on a flash drive or usb format would be that different. They don’t need to own the format to listen to it anymore, with the advent of universal streaming (Spotify, Google Play, Apple Music, etc. - but not Pandora because they limit the number of tunes the artist can have).

It is causing me to take a hard look at how people consume music these days, as I don’t want to be stuck with product (eg, CD’s) I can’t move. Quite perplexing.

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Tele295 wrote:

As we are mixing our next album right now, I can’t help but wonder if people (not us musician weirdos or vinyl collectors, but the average consumer) even purchases media on any physical format anymore. I don’t think packaging the music on a flash drive or usb format would be that different. They don’t need to own the format to listen to it anymore, with the advent of universal streaming (Spotify, Google Play, Apple Music, etc. - but not Pandora because they limit the number of tunes the artist can have).

It is causing me to take a hard look at how people consume music these days, as I don’t want to be stuck with product (eg, CD’s) I can’t move. Quite perplexing.

It is a difficult situation, and I am of the opinion that it might not even be worth mixing an album, as streaming services focus on single tracks only. If you play live, it might be worth having a CD as a collection of songs available for people to take home. There is likely to be some people interested in a CD - CD retailers and radio stations, but it seems to me that the general public listen to tracks rather than albums.

It's an odd situation we're in, and have been for a while. Previous format changes have had a viable replacement ready, but that doesn't seem to be the case as CDs fall out of favour - there isn't really a definite replacement to invest in

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

I say press 200/250 cds,
If they sell well, then do another run.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021 10:00:29

bigtikidude wrote:

I say press 200/250 cds,
If they sell well, then do another run.

We've done 300 then repressed when needed (no repress for the last couple of releases. Everyone of our releases has broken even or more.

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021 15:00:09

I use Discmakers, who have always been great, and their minimum is 300 CDs. They cost about $2 each, maybe a little more, to manufacture if you go with a paper sleeve package with shrinkwrap. It may be kinda harsh to say, but If you're a 4 piece band and can't pay $600-700 to press up some CDs, I'd say hold off until you can afford it. There is just so much music out there, and just releasing to digital - it's easy for your music to get lost in the ether. A CD or LP shows you're serious about your music, and you really only need to sell 60-70 of them to break even on the cost of manufacturing. After that it's profit!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

With our last album, we were able to get a run of 100 from Diskmakers

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

I agree with Sean, if you are digital only, it’s easily forgettable.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6