Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink CDs not as dead as people thought.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Many different portable CD players under $20 including shipping are on Ebay. Demand must be low for such prices.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021 16:29:21

I spent 66, I wanted something that lasted a few years, not a couple months,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff, I got a nice cable, wrapped in woven cloth maybe, with a pattern, I forget the brand. anyway, much nicer in my truck than a plain black plastic covered cable I think. old walkman has been doing fine since 2015. a few battery changes a year and that's it.

Yes I have one of those already from when I could hook up my phone to aux input to listen to NSSR

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

I spent 66, I wanted something that lasted a few years, not a couple months,

Sure, a product with established durability is worth plenty extra.

I've been using an Audiophase portable CD player since year 2000. It still works well. I see their portable CD players priced from $10 to $79. Mine has only basic features. I'm just mentioning, not selling.

Disclaimer: I did not read all five pages of this thread.

The CD is not a viable mass-market product for the music industry. That said, there are advantages for a non-label band to actually make a physical, glass-mastered product with a genuine barcode, and sold via some major channel. Strangely, these advantages have to do with SEO and not people actually listening to music on the thing.

Surf music people are strange and they will always want CDs. The overwhelming majority of music consumers do not, to the point where it is a useful generalization to assert that practically nobody wants them. That is pretty much the situation in a nutshell. I, personally, listen to Tidal and Apple Music. Or YouTube. Or podcasts. I would not dream of popping an audio CD into my Blu-Ray player these days, even though I am lucky enough to have fantastic, high-end monitoring capability both in my home theater and mixing desk. Well, unless it was a surround mix (which I sincerely wish there were more of.)

I am not sure what the debate is, honestly. It is a pretty dead format.

SSIV

LHR wrote:

Disclaimer: I did not read all five pages of this thread.

The CD is not a viable mass-market product for the music industry. That said, there are advantages for a non-label band to actually make a physical, glass-mastered product with a genuine barcode, and sold via some major channel. Strangely, these advantages have to do with SEO and not people actually listening to music on the thing.

Surf music people are strange and they will always want CDs. The overwhelming majority of music consumers do not, to the point where it is a useful generalization to assert that practically nobody wants them. That is pretty much the situation in a nutshell. I, personally, listen to Tidal and Apple Music. Or YouTube. Or podcasts. I would not dream of popping an audio CD into my Blu-Ray player these days, even though I am lucky enough to have fantastic, high-end monitoring capability both in my home theater and mixing desk. Well, unless it was a surround mix (which I sincerely wish there were more of.)

I am not sure what the debate is, honestly. It is a pretty dead format.

What he said!

Yawn

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Well I can say that while sales of CDs have steadily dropped over the years, at Double Crown we're still selling enough to be doing pretty well. It's largely due to the fact that CDs cost much less to manufacture than vinyl - we can still release a CD and if it sells 100 copies it breaks even. With vinyl - you have to sell many more than that to hit the break even point. Also, with a CD you have a physical disc that you can rip to your computer and stream indefinitely, not tied to a subscription. I could go on and on with the advantages, but for Double Crown as long as we can break even, and ideally make a little with each release, we'll keep focusing on CD releases. A big thanks go out to our dedicated customers who support the label by buying our releases, as well as the discs we stock from other labels. I also have to say the Continental Magazine is more popular than ever, thanks largely to the CD that comes inside every issue.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Thank you for still making cds Sean!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Surf music people are strange and they will always want CDs. The overwhelming majority of music consumers do not, to the point where it is a useful generalization to assert that practically nobody wants them.

Trying not to be too dismissive, but these days, I think the majority of music consumers don't really listen to music. It's just blah blah background junk.

The whole issue is scale. If you [editorial 'you'] insist that the only thing worth anything is the mass mainstream dreck market, then physical media are not viable. But if the market is the smaller (but still significant, number-wise) market of people who actually care about music enough to actively listen to it, go to shows, care about bands, and so on, then I think physical media are pretty important.

It is not necessary to sell millions of records to make enough money to justify the cost. If you're a corporate suit trying to figure out how to maximize profitability with as little investment as possible and with zero interest in the music itself, well that's another paradigm. And part of this is generational. But even among college-age millenials, I see a commercially viable component of them who give a damn enough about music to support specialty music and buy CDs and records. I taught at a major university most of my career and still live in a university town, and college students are still a significant chunk of my audience.

My opinions, of course.

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

I've never been a big fan of CDs, but one thing they are useful for is for buying as gifts. The gift of music drives a lot of sales, and without CDs, or some form of physical media, it's just not possible.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

One of the remaining reasons for buying cds are at concerts with merchandise stand. For smaller events artists often appear at the end of a performance to sell and autograph a cd and take a picture. Can't sell downloads easily at a show. Always nice to head home with music you just enjoyed live.

Happy Sunsets!

tahitijack wrote:

One of the remaining reasons for buying cds are at concerts with merchandise stand. For smaller events artists often appear at the end of a performance to sell and autograph a cd and take a picture. Can't sell downloads easily at a show. Always nice to head home with music you just enjoyed live.

This is very true, but I wonder how long it will last? CD players are not so common these days.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Oddly cd players are still in production by the usual brands like Sony, Marantz and Denon. For some of us with really big bucks Yamaha makes a very nice player for $6,000 player. And the old boom box is still sitting on the shelf of a retail shop somewhere. Aloha.

Happy Sunsets!

"Offical" CD sales in 2020 were 31.6 million, or around 4% of the total music sales. This may only include major labels - this is apparently from RIAA - here's the article I got this from - https://www.statista.com/chart/12950/cd-sales-in-the-us/ - I really think the rumors of the CD's death are considerably exaggerated. But yes - it's a specialty market.

DVD players will also play CDs. There's no shortage of CD players. But not so much in new cars anymore.

The death knell was sounded for vinyl records 30+ years ago. Sure, it'll never again be the mainstream source for audio. But record pressers are deluged with orders, the lead time to get records pressed is long.

This is one of the advantages of being off the mainstream. The main (really only) beneficiary of the large economies of scale in the mainstream product are the big guys. The rest of us can deal with the smaller scales.

What has been really frustrating is the "forced obsolescence" of the format - stuff like laptops being made without CD/DVD drives (or many desktop computers for that matter), car stereos, etc. They take up little-to-no space, cost very little to include and make playing CDs and DVDs an option. I'm a Mac guy, and had to buy an external drive when I got my most recent computer. Other formats I understand why they've been phased out - cassettes and 8-tracks take up so much more space, but with my latest iMac, it's thinner I guess because it doesn't have a DVD drive on the side of the screen, but who really cares about a few millimeters of extra thickness - I never look at my computer from the side. And I have to have a clunky external drive connected to the computer... Okay, I'll go back to shooing the pesky kids off my lawn!

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

What has been really frustrating is the "forced obsolescence" of the format - stuff like laptops being made without CD/DVD drives (or many desktop computers for that matter), car stereos, etc. ...

Yeah, that pisses me off too. And this is the same corporate clowns that are barking the loudest about re-use, green this and green that, and at the same time build rapid obsolescence into everything they make. I buy used and use/re-use everything until it's dead because 1) it's the right thing to do, and 2) I refuse to be harassed into conforming with the latest and greatest 'flavor of the month' which frequently turns out to be 'the emperor's new clothes'. The computer thing is the most aggravating. I am, among other things, a computer scientist, and aside from increased memory and a bit more bus spead, commodity computers haven't really progressed all that much in the last 5-10 years 'cause speeding up single processors is problematic at this point. Argh

CDs are the most affordable physical format to release music nowadays. Getting a vinyl album mailed from the US or Europe to Canada is really expensive. Often the same price of the album, or more. CDs are generally cheaper to mail out. Most of my “ foreign” music purchases are either CD or download.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

A year ago I gifted a colleague with a CD. Later she admitted she had not listened because she had no way of listening. No DVD player, no CD player, no car CD, no computer with optical drive. She uses only streaming media. This was the first time I'd heard this. She lives in a costly city where space is at a high premium.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next