Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink CDs not as dead as people thought.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Yes, the hardware matter for sound quality. And the hardware matters only if you let it for the experience.

I will occasionally buy a CD, if that's all that's available. Typically, I buy vinyl and the new stuff almost always has a digital download code which I'll load onto my computer and phone to play in the car. Mostly I listen to vinyl. I find it to make listening more of an event. My wife and I will crack a bottle of wine, or pour some whisk(e)y, and spend a couple of hours spinning records. Does it sound better than other formats? Not necessarily, but the sleeves are art. The large format almost encourages you to delve in and learn more about the music.

CDs will be playable forever. I recently came across a couple I bought back in 1992 or so, and they (obviously) still work perfectly.

In twenty, forty, two hundred years time will today's file formats still work?

MS Word was launched in 1983, so yes digital downloads will still probably be playing 30 years out. The question is will anyone care to listen.

Happy Sunsets!

IN my experience CD s have a life span just like everything else. I have CDs I bought in the mid 90s that are unplayable as rhey have gone transparent or discoloured. I had one that I pulled out of the rack other day that you could virtually see through....

Vinyl does not discoulour or go transparent..... Smile

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Pongo wrote:

CDs will be playable forever. I recently came across a couple I bought back in 1992 or so, and they (obviously) still work perfectly.

CDs will absolutely not work forever. Use and heat will cause them to go. Never using them and keeping them cool will last.

Your file formats will work in 40 years. But that won't matter. You will have uploaded to the cloud by then and stream exclusively and your copy will have been replaced.by a copy that, Google for example, has decided to play. Google does this.currently and that works out really well.

What about after a massive cyber attack erasing all files on the cloud?

I do not want to own anything (books, music, movies) that is not in digital form now. These days I want to be free of physical possessions as much as possible.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

I do not want to own anything (books, music, movies) that is not in digital form now. These days I want to be free of physical possessions as much as possible.

I agree wit' you on books. Books have been a huge problem for me and now I buy everything on Kindle. I can access hundreds of books from my smartphone for quick reference or from my iPad if I want a leisurely read.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Pongo wrote:

Well, I remember years ago they were guessing CD's wouldn't last more than 20-30 years. Air can get between the outer plastic layers and corrode the pits. But the biggest worry is probably no one will be making CD players. But that might not be for a while. It was only within what, the last 5 years, that the last commercial VCR rolled off the assembly line.

Yes, why wouldn't they? You only need software to read them as long as the songs get transferred to whatever the storage media of the day is.

I did some googling and it looks like estimates for modern commercial CD's are a lot longer now... some as high as 50-200 years. The re-recordable ones are a lot lower... like 20 years.

Last edited: Mar 01, 2018 10:16:25

So, not biodegradable? Landfill operation continued.

Happy Sunsets!

Brian wrote:

I did some googling and it looks like estimates for modern commercial CD's are a lot longer now... some as high as 50-200 years. The re-recordable ones are a lot lower... like 20 years.

That's consistent with what I've heard. I'll have to go have a look at some of my older CDs from the early '90s, but as little as 2-3 years ago, they were fine.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Most new cars no longer offer the option of a CD player.
I just bought a new car, 2018 Honda Civic EX-T and despite coming with a premium 450 watt, 10 speaker sound system......no CD player. This initially was very disconcerting to me, having a very large collection of CD's and being old, stubborn, techno challenged and not caring for the highly compressed digital sound people who do not know better accept from their phones and other digital devices. The answer to my problems was learning to rip my CD's to my home computer and then transferring the files to flash drives that can play through the ports on my new car sound system. Regarding the decrease in sound quality issue, I did some research and found that if a ripped the CD's onto my PC using a "lossless" format. In my case I chose WMA (Windows Media Audio) Lossless
which yields sound quality just about to the same level as the original CD. There are other "lossless" formats, I chose WMA Lossless because I knew that my Honda audio system would recognize it. So, in this case, a vacuum tube loving set in his ways old dog was actually able to learn a new trick. Cheers

There are also "variable bit rate" or VBR formats now that provide excellent sound quality for decent file size that you may want to play with if lossless formats are too big.

More discussion on this topic:

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/29007/

Brian wrote:

The re-recordable ones are a lot lower... like 20 years.

Five years under regular use, 10 years max if used ever. Proabably 15-20 if stores in a climate controlled use. I've had heavy used ones go faster. They separate easily.

Karol Katcher just brought home a new 2018 Toy-motor Camry Sport. It too did not include a CD player. Now, had she stepped up another $1200 for the "premium sound system," she would have been "rewarded" with a single disk player. Figure that one out. Needless to say she has concerns (and so do I) about having to load all her fave music into her iPhone and have it continuously steaming to her car's system and dealing with all the file handling/trying to drive the damn car at the same time challenges.............. Accident waiting to happen. Literally.

I dig both my vehicle's 6 disk players and I'm going to keep them going until, well..........you get the idea.

I gave myself a pro disk copier several years back so having a plan B for "maintaining" the disks themselves is no problem-o.

evil ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

It's a paradigm shift but you can get your music all downloaded onto your phone then stream it via bluetooth in your car. And as mentioned earlier, a lot of car stereos include a USB port so you can just plug in a flash drive full of tunes.

Last edited: Mar 01, 2018 12:40:18

Ed, Karol would have an alternate work around if the genius at Apple hadn't killed the iPod years ago. She could have burned her CD collection to iTunes, transfered them to the iPod an play the iPod in the Toyota Entune system through the USB port. BTW not only did Apple discontinue the iPod they no longer support the product or even offer parts and service. Appel is well known for superior customer service, so this is amazing.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Mar 01, 2018 12:42:54

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next