Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
253 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
253 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
173 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink CDs not as dead as people thought.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

https://www.fastcompany.com/40532455/the-cd-business-isnt-dying-its-just-evolving

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

https://www.fastcompany.com/40532455/the-cd-business-isnt-dying-its-just-evolving

Interesting. I prefer some atoms to go with my bits and have CDs on the shelf for virtually everything in my collection, with the exception of material which is only available digitally.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I agree

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Maybe less convenient than off-the-shelf digital downloads (or streaming services), but my understanding is CD quality is better than lossy formats, like .mp3 (perhaps streamed content too), so if possible I like getting the CD and then ripping from it. A CD(or CD Cover) is also good to have signed at a show.
Performing artists I go see make some loot off CD sales, and sign them, so hope CD's stick around a while longer.

http://tunefan.com
http://www.youtube.com/tunefan

bigtikidude wrote:

I agree

If the songs I had ripped to iTunes we’re all purchased from iTunes, the cost would be $15,000 to $20,000. I’m not worried about Apple going out of business, but if that collection were ever lost I’d hate to not have any physical backup. Most of the CDs in my collection have never been played on a player, just ripped.

There are losses in going to MP3, but there is some debate as to how much is perceptible.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

CDs are dead. Vinyl is a novelty that people don't use.

I don't own a CD player because they haven't put them in anything in five years. My car doesn't, my computers don't.

Live sales of albums will always be a physical thing. Never will people buy MP3s at merch stands. CDs still sell. Vinyl sells. People who buy vinyl, 60% will never listen to it. CD, probably 95% will listen to it. People who buy vinyl just want the physicality. People who buy CDs listen to music that way.

And on the MP3 vs. Lossless thing...

MP3s are fine. We aren't getting 128kbps MP3s anymore. We are getting much tidier compression and lower file sizes thanks to variable bit rate encoding.

It is pretty clear that higher quality streaming won't happen anytime soon. The telecoms are to thank for their draconian data limits. 1GB of data has been the same price for a decade. Data speeds and file sizes of images and videos have gone up quite a bit in that time. Fuck em all.

Tell Amoeba records in LA and The SF area that cds are dead.
A football field sized store, 2/3rds cds. I think they'd laugh.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm an old geezer who wants physical media. I prefer CD's to vinyl. Yes, vinyl is warmer, but the clicks and pops drive me crazy. And I hate having to get up, and flip the album over, every 15 to 20 minutes. I do pay for downloads, but only if the album is not available on CD, and it is an album that I REALLY want.I prefer downloads in lossless formats to MP3's. If CD's went away, I would buy considerably less music. Like Jeff said, Amoeba is very successful, as are Bay Area independent record stores, Rasputin's Music, and Streetlight Records. These are pretty big places. Most Rasputin's stores are huge, with CD's, vinyl, and cassette tapes, but I would guess that more than half of the floor space is DVD's, VHS tapes, books, T-shirts, etc. Although there are die-hards like me still buying physical media, it is very clear to me that physical media sells way less than it used to. Top selling albums used to be well over 500,000 units sold. I may be wrong, but I think I heard that top selling albums now are in the tens of thousands. In interviews, mid-level artists often state that they can't make a living selling physical media. Most say that CD's and vinyl are promotional tools for their tours. Touring is where they now make a living. Granted, tour merchandise is a significant part of that. As Jake said, people often will buy physical media (T-shirts, posters, etc.) at concerts. I'd hate to see CD's go away, but more and more albums are not being released in CD format. I can see the writing on the wall.

Bob

I play CDs in my DVD players. There are still plenty of those around. For the moment anyway.

However, most of my music listening is on my iPhone through its own speaker. I realize it's bassless and has no spatiality, but I grew up with AM radio. I have several stereo and 5.1 sound systems, and I used to care about frequency response and spatiality, but what makes me happy is the music, and the iPhone works for that. I also don't have the time to just sit and listen to music, music is the pulse to my activities and my work.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018 01:01:10

Music starts and ends my day and there is nothing better than having a physical copy in hand. Yes, quality is important, but for me, the connection with an artist through the liner notes, art, etc. is essential. Though we are guilty of digital only releases up to this point we are going to do everything in our power to produce CDs for our next release. Why? Because people have asked for em. We are also contemplating vinyl for a holiday release. Why? Because people have asked! So, the demand is there and I am glad these formats are thriving.

The Me Gustas
https://themegustas.com

CD sales in 2011 were 224 million.
CD sales in 2016 were 104 million.
CD is a dead media.

Happy Sunsets!

Vinyl w/code for mp3 > Vinyl > CD > mp3

Jake: Do you have data to support your assertion that people who buy vinyl don't listen to it? Or is that just a hunch? I listen to vinyl almost every day, and I suspect other vinyl enthusiasts (aka, weirdos!) like me actually enjoy the experience of interacting with the media and the equipment. And, of course, vinyl contains all the information (well, all the good information, anyway). Wink

I think there is a place for most current mediums. Vinyl has that warmth and artwork size advantage, CDs are great for recordings with lots of dynamics (especially quiet recordings-no clicks and pops), and mp3s for music on the go. For me, none of these medias are dead.

As far as USK sales well do sell an equal amount of records and CDs at shows. Though vinyl had that cool factor, the manufacturing costs, dhipping costs, and turn around time are making it less desirable as arelease in comparison to CDs (I never thought I'd say that)

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Too many seek convenience over quality. Probably why the largest US CD retailer is dumping them. It's sad but it evolutionary. I loved vinyl but moved to cassette for convenience and to make custom tapes. When CDs came I really liked the clarity especially for acoustic music. And I could still make custom CDs. Now that my collection is on my laptop the CDs are gone and I'm buying new music via digital download.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018 15:53:36

LordWellfleet wrote:

Vinyl w/code for mp3 > Vinyl > CD > mp3

Jake: Do you have data to support your assertion that people who buy vinyl don't listen to it? Or is that just a hunch? I listen to vinyl almost every day, and I suspect other vinyl enthusiasts (aka, weirdos!) like me actually enjoy the experience of interacting with the media and the equipment. And, of course, vinyl contains all the information (well, all the good information, anyway). Wink

Just based off of friends, and I ask people when they buy it. If they have a turn able, a lot don't, they might give it a spin or two. I listen to vinyl most everyday myself, but I am obsessive!

What's the point of Vinyl if the master is digital? Sound-fidelity wise?
Realistic "Vinyl making" filters can easily be applied to any music file, yet there's a reason nobody does that intentionally for listening pleasure.
I love miss and cherish the medium too, mostly for the amazing lost art of album covers.
But even sadder is CD's. Nothing worse than early digital tech. It's round and spinning, yet no physical info, and sustainability of coffee coasters. Makes me sick. I have no words of comfort. None

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018 18:27:47

Vinyl is purely size of the sleeve for me. Sometimes I think it sounds great (LPs rarely elicit that reaction).

Early CDs are the worst.

Yeah I remember the early days of CDs. The sound quality was so hit and miss, more often miss. It was the era where tinny meant clearer!? I'm glad that issue has been pretty much resolved for most CDs. On the flip side I find that some of the newer vinyl releases can sound pretty bad too. I guess it comes down to a lot of factors beyond the final format used.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Does some of the listing experience depend on what hardware? Carefully put together high end audio gear or pieces acquired at garage sales and flea market where cost is the key factor.

Happy Sunsets!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next