Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Ethnocentric Bashing of European Surf Bands

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

This was posted on a Surf group on Facebook today.

"Now. Moving on to another point Mr. [ ] addressed, the issue of the idolization of surf bands emanating from Europe. What the hell is going on? Surf bands from Europe touring the United Sates. Why the hell do we need to hear an imitation brought from a foreign country that emulates American music!!!!! Why the interest? Southern California musicians crated [sic] the genre. Why the interest in emulators? Yeah, put an exotic babe on stage with her bass playing along with a couple guys playing loud, obnoxious noise. That is not what surf music is!!!! Why do we need to import copycats when we have original musicians right here in the USA? There is a plethora of talented musicians right here in the United States of America, some that go back to the birth of surf like the Tornadoes or individuals like Bob Spickard, Third Wave bands like the Eliminators and Blue Hawaiians, playing music made right here in the USA, seeking gigs, but are not considered because someone came up with the insipid idea that European bands know what the hell surf music should sound like. That is akin to going to a Pizzeria to get the ethnic taste of soul food. I've been around a while, so I know music tastes change, but when there are very talented musicians who play in the surf genre, born and raised right here in the USA, it is time to show respect to them and let the Europeans stay in Europe."

Thoughts?

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I think I know who said that without even seeing it on FB.

Total tool.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Feb 09, 2018 18:48:19

This is why I don't read FB surf music groups.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Which group was this in, so I can see who to revise my opinion on?

The Astronauts were from Colorado. They were flown in to be a surf band. They had no idea what surf was yet they became world renowned for being a top surf band.
Really, it comes down to this: What is an authentic surf group? And does it matter?
And I am positive that there must be a genuine Californian surf group out there that is less entertaining than maybe a group from, say, New York, Croatia, or Vancouver. When I play surf gigs it is pretty clear to the audience my reverence of the first wave and where exactly it all originated from. Isn't it utterly fantastic that a music form from Huntington Beach spread out to the far reaches of the globe?

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Feb 09, 2018 19:20:52

I think the guy is bitter that he hasn't been asked to play at modern surf shows. But that's just my opinion,
I think some of the best surf now is coming from Europe and other parts of the world.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I do not follow that line of thinking. My likes/dislikes within the genre run pretty narrow, until I see a band live. Some of my favorite live moments in the last few years have been “those European” bands. Pushing the envelope, doing things differently, while still staying uniquely in the surf realm. Messer Chups is the perfect example. It’s not “Noise with a exotic bass player”. It’s a new take on an old idea. Many of those bands hold the traditional ideals higher than the US bands.

I know the dude that said this.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

The music started by a guy whose dad was Lebanese and mother Polish, and who grew up in Massachusetts. Really California to the bone!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ha! Exactly
Great point!

And the Trashmen were not Ca. Either.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

That opinion is indefensible. Just boneheaded nationalism. The fact that it is now a worldwide music has been crucial to keeping it fresh and vital. Wrong on so many levels, and an ugly statement.

Can this (ahem) brainiac tell by listening to a band, actually know where they are from? By their choice of notes, or reverb setting, he can detect a German, Italian or Finnish accent? Wow...

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Yeah, that guy speaks for himself. I was relistening to The Bradipos IV's "Surf Sessions" today and remembering how great those guys are. For my money I don't think many bands are doing it better than Les Aggamemnonz.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Bingo again on both of those.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Feb 09, 2018 20:35:19

This guy is pretty special. And flexible. He has his foot in his mouth and his head up his arse simultaneously!!

Seriously. This guy has achieved new levels of douchiness.

Also... Never forget

That could be a good song title,

"New level of Douchiness"

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The pathetic rantings of a marginalized and puerile person. Who thinks like that? It's music, not manufacturing. My guess is this person's idea of surf music is very narrow minded. And as such has alienated himself from our gloriously international surf music community.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I've seen inklings of this thought here on this board(not so recently). Never as arrogantly misinformed, but if our country has these sorts of thoughts then there are inevitably going to be surf bands/fans who share the same thoughts.

The way to combat these things it to remain positive and point out what is good about the music, point out glaring mistakes in their thinking (Dick Dale is Lebanese, Astronauts, we are all imigrants, surf music was popular in Southern California for a few years until it was reborn across the world.

European surf is as good as American which is as good as Mexican, which is as good as Southern American. And we know the Japanese bands are stellar!

I don't like all surf bands. I love some surf bands. I think most surf bands are pretty okay! To me, it comes down to if you are a melodic surf band or more of a riff surf band. European bands introduce different melodies, which are amazing. That is where most of the early surf melodies come from anyways!

Non-American surf bands aren't coming for you jobs. They are coming to entertain us. So, lets be entertained!

If a Euro band beats your band out for a gig. What can you do to become better? Slacktone isn't losing a gig to a Euro band, just sayin'.

josheboy wrote:

This guy is pretty special. And flexible. He has his foot in his mouth and his head up his arse simultaneously!!

Seriously. This guy has achieved new levels of douchiness.

Also... Never forget

Oh my god... And was it him who posted that on Facebook? That was my first guess and I'm not remotely near facebook.

Having lived in the first wave era I am partial to its sounds. I love figuring out simi-obscure original surf songs.
However, my iTunes play list is full of surf music from bands world wide.
Anyone who thinks it should be confined to SOCAL, and it's bands must have a very narrow idea of what surf music is.

He graduated from douche bag to colostomy bag.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018 00:14:00

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next