Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Ethnocentric Bashing of European Surf Bands

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Mind over matter.

I don't mind and he doesn't matter! Big Grin

IvanP wrote:

The music started by a guy whose dad was Lebanese and mother Polish, and who grew up in Massachusetts. Really California to the bone!

I thought Mr. Mansour’s mom was Belorussian.
I guess the nativist sentiment has its appeal among some surf fans. But doesn’t the visa regime also already reflect the same ideal, ‘protecting’ American musicians from competition from abroad? I heard Messer Chups had to pretty much pretend they were tourists when they came here a couple years ago for their debut tour.

To my ears, American bands have a different take on surf/instro, proffering less traditionalist, darker and heavier sounds while European bands (Messer C. the notable exception) generally go for lighter, more tunefully ‘holiday’ sounds. I really don’t see any competition in terms of market saturation yet - rather the confluence of native and foreign bands might stimulate a broader market appeal among fans stateside.
The sex appeal of a band like Messer C. certainly does bring younger more gender mixed crowds. Female fans deserve to see attractive role models among surf musicians, if we want to encourage them.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018 22:02:20

Very few surf bands are going to get visas to tour the US. Mostly, they wouldn't be granted them. But they aren't taking work from American bands. Because it isn't work. Nobody is making money that could remotely be considered livable. If anything, American bands are getting gigs because shows are being organized around International bands. We've had the fortune of gigging with foreign bands on several occasions and I can tell you 100% that those shows absolutely never would have existed if it weren't around those bands visiting. If we gigged, we would have been offered something with a non-surf act.

American Bands = Surf Beat 90% of the time
European Bands = Not Surf Beat 90% of the time.
(All numbers completely made up solely to demonstrate the perceived difference)

Messer Chups got work visas for both tours boys.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

Messer Chups got work visas for both tours boys.

And created gigs for many surf bands!

The first tour, I asked many bands to book shows, and to host messer chups
And provide drums and Amps for them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The views expressed in that quote in the OP ave no place in society nor across any genre of music. It’s disgusting.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018 06:11:55

The thing I love most about Surf and instrumental music is that there are no no language barriers. No matter who you are or where you come from we can come together through music.
I've been a huge music fan all my life and I've been able to discover great music of all genres from around the world. This was not an easy task before the internet.
So I invite all surf bands from the US and around the world to come play Atlanta. We'd love to see you play!

What a bizarre thing for the OP to say.

I agree with Surf Skater. Only last night I was explaining the no language barrier thing to friends.

Clarry wrote:

I agree with Surf Skater. Only last night I was explaining the no language barrier thing to friends.

Ah, but could they understand what you were saying, Clarry? Big Razz

Los Fantasticos

djangodeadman wrote:

Clarry wrote:

Ah, but could they understand what you were saying, Clarry? Big Razz

I think so. Although we started watching Boney M live in Poland...

One of the great things about The Surfer Joe festival is the people from all over the world all meeting to play or just watch amazing bands. Luckily English is an international language and I was able to talk to many people. But if you happen to be standing next to somebody that didn't speak English while you were watching a particular great performance you can turn and give a drink cheers or a high five, and a smile and all is understood.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Chippertheripper wrote:

The views expressed in that quote in the OP ave no place in society nor across any genre of music. It’s disgusting.

An appalling excrudescence of bigoted nativism, you say? But it’s all the rage these days in flyoverland, doncha know. And where might you live? Let me guess - on the coast?

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

An appalling excrudescence of bigoted nativism, you say? But it’s all the rage these days in flyoverland, doncha know.

We should have a military parade scheduled for SG101 Convention weekend, just to remind the foreign surf bands who surfs best. (We shouldn't)

Huzzah and OO-AH!
Rally ‘round the flag,boys!

Squink Out!

I rally around the Jag.

JObeast wrote:

Chippertheripper wrote:

An appalling excrudescence of bigoted nativism, you say? But it’s all the rage these days in flyoverland, doncha know. And where might you live? Let me guess - on the coast?

I’m a friendly neighbor to squinkistan.

Jeff, this is really nicely stated!

bigtikidude wrote:

One of the great things about The Surfer Joe festival is the people from all over the world all meeting to play or just watch amazing bands. Luckily English is an international language and I was able to talk to many people. But if you happen to be standing next to somebody that didn't speak English while you were watching a particular great performance you can turn and give a drink cheers or a high five, and a smile and all is understood.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Chippertheripper wrote:

JObeast wrote:

Chippertheripper wrote:

I’m a friendly neighbor to squinkistan.

Good. Us Squinks need all the friends we can get.

Squink Out!

It's just racism/nationalism with a thin veneer placed over it to try to make it sound more acceptable. Aka a load of crap.

Four String Fender for The Delstroyers & The Woodhavens

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next