Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Ivan Pongracic Sr. and Jr. playing some Shadows chestnuts for Christmas

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

IvanP wrote:

Here's one more interview where Hank mentions how they simply chose the most expensive model in the Fender catalog. Imagine if they knew about the Jazzmaster at that point, which WAS the most expensive guitar sold by Fender in the early '59, and Hank ended up with that! Possibly the music world would have been a much different place....

They caught a break, IMO. As much appeal as the offsets have, they were not the same as a Strat. I have a sentimental attachment to Jaguars; they were the top of the Fender line when I first started playing. Nonetheless, the Strat is hard to beat and Hank has gotten one heck of a sound from one. Likewise for present company.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

My dad and I were back at it this Christmas, for the fourth year in a row! Here are three new videos for your holiday listening pleasure: Some Are Lonely, Maria Elena, and Bossa Roo. We hope you enjoy them, and we wish you all a happy new year!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

These warm my heart so much. All the best in the new year to your entire family, Ivan.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

YAY! One of my most very favorite threads on SG101. Thank you Ivan (and Pops!) for sharing your tradition with us all again this year! Beautiful on many levels.

To a happy and healthy 2019 for the Pongracic's! Cheers

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Cool! Nice to hear some deeper tracks.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

As always, Ivan, it is a delight to see these videos of you and your father. That is truly a blessing, to be able to make music with your dad.

Thank you for sharing. Tell Sr. that I'm impressed. Smile

Thank you all very much, we both greatly appreciate the nice comments! And we're very happy to be able to spread a bit more holiday cheer! Smile

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I love this yearly tradition! So cool! Happy Holidays to you and your Dad, Ivan!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Hey, it's been a year already!! So, here are three new videos of my dad and me playing the Shadows again!! Hope you enjoy!

I'm using a '97 '62 US reissue Strat with an '84 '62 US reissue neck and Pure Vintage '65 pickups, through a Catalinbread Echorec pedal and a Vox AC15C1-TV amp. My dad's playing an early-2000s Epiphone EJ-300S.

Video #1: "It's Been a Blue Day" - the B-side of the Shadows '63 single "Shindig"

Video #2 - "Theme From Shane". "Shane" is an iconic 1953 western, the Shadows adapting its orchestral theme music for their first EP, released in January 1961, following up on the huge success of "Apache" just a few months before with four more western-themed songs.

Video #3 - "Wonderful Land", their biggest hit, eight weeks at No. 1 in the winter and spring of 1962 in the UK, and 19 weeks on the charts in total - one of the biggest UK hits of the '60s in general, outdone only by the Beatles and Elvis.

We wish you all a very happy new year and see you next Christmas!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Always the sweetest treat of the holidays. Thank you once again Jr. & Sr!

Merry Christmas andHappy New Year to the Pongracic’s. May y’all’s 2020 be in good health, filled with love, happiness and Shads!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Thank you and Happy Holidays to your family!

This is one of my favorite threads.

Merry Christmas!

Sean

"Here's to the man who drinks dark ale and goes to bed quite mellow. He lives as he ought to live and dies a jolly good fellow"

Thanks to both of you. I really enjoy these Shadows tunes. What can I say, there’s just something magic about these arrangements and Wonderful Land always has a positive impact.

Great work!

I know I'm late on this.
Ivan, you are so blessed to have these videos of you and your father.
I noticed that your father has a liking for Epiphone Masterbilt acoustic guitars.
So do I. I have a DR500 mce. It sound great, but it's like holding a row boat.
I hope your Christmas was wonderful!

Not my dad and I, just me this time, but here's me playing the Shadows' "National Provincial Samba" from their 1965 album (their fourth) "Sound of the Shadows". A pretty obscure track, but one I've loved since I was a kid. Hank recorded two guitar tracks on this one, doing a call-and-response kinda thing, and playing both parts at once is pretty finger-twisting!

No echo on this one, just a touch of amp reverb. The amp is my Vox AC15C1-TV. Hank used his Burns, I'm using my SG101-awarded 2012 Dakota Red '65 reissue Strat (with Eddie Bertrand's 1986 '62 reissue neck), on the middle-neck pickup position.

Hope you like!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan, your take on the Shadows is always spot on. You have absolutely captured it.

Thanks very much, synchro!! Thumbs Up

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Here's one more I shot last night, another very quirky and highly obscure Shadows track: "Alice in Sunderland"! I'd been playing around with this track for a while, but finally fully figured it out in just the last couple of days. A bit tricky, but SO MUCH FUN to play!

This was the b-side of the "Stingray" single, released in May of '65, as the Shadows' commercial fortunes were on the wane. But their creativity certainly wasn't! And even though this isn't a groundbreaking piece of music, I always thought there was something pretty cool about it. It's another early example of Hank experimenting with the in-between pickup selection, combining the middle and neck pickups on his Burns (as on "National Provincial Samba").

Once again I used no echo, just a touch of amp reverb, and the amp is my Vox AC15C1-TV. I'm also again using my SG101-awarded 2012 Dakota Red '65 reissue Strat (with Eddie Bertrand's 1986 '62 reissue neck). Enjoy!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next