Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Ivan Pongracic Sr. and Jr. playing some Shadows chestnuts for Christmas

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

My dad and I enjoyed playing some of those pretty Shadows ballads for Christmas so much we thought we'd share them. Here are the first three: "Peace Pipe" (the b-side of the "The Savage" single from '61), "Back Home" (the b-side of "The Frightened City" single from '61), and "The Lute Number" (from the short film "Rhythm 'n' Greens" from '64). I've got two more I'll post in the next couple of days. Enjoy!! (If you're my friend on FB, you've probably seen them already as I have been posting them on there the last couple of days.)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

These videos are just WONDERFUL. What a great thing to do together on Christmas... and even better that it's documented for all time and shared with your friends!

Oh yeah, that is beautiful........

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Please tell Sr. that I thought that was cool. He surely is proud of you. Smile

Thanks for those beautiful performances. Nice musical bonding time with your dad. You are blessed to have that in common. He's a good rhythm player!

websurfer wrote:

Thanks for those beautiful performances. Nice musical bonding time with your dad. You are blessed to have that in common. He's a good rhythm player!

Agree

I know you guys have numerous public performances as The Trubadours, but these intimate home/duo moments are truly special moments. Thank you both for sharing that with us. Still sound as incredible as ever!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Lovely sounds indeed!

"Hello Girls!"

Ivan,
That "Lute Number" tune is great! I never heard it before. I have a private gig in a month or so. The tune doesn't look like brain surgery guitar-wise - most good music is simple. The tabs are available online.

I'm going to get this tune down and add some gypsy embellishments on a Maccaferri acoustic. I've been looking for a (different) mellow number.

Every so often, your guitar work gives me a little kick in the hind quarters.

A happy new year to you and your dad...

BTW - you have my kind of a man cave.... (somewhat) organized bric-a-brac all over the place.

J Mo'

This is very, very cool. Thanks for sharing Ivan!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Ivan, you are a guitar wizard. And have a cool father.

"Lute Number" left me speechless. . .

Thank you very much, all! I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. and yes, indeed, my dad is a very good rhythm guitar player - and very cool! Smile

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

That "Lute Number" tune is great! I never heard it before.

John, that was the song that started the Troubadours, my dad's and my Shadows tribute band. Back in '97, Art B. of MuSick Recordings really wanted somebody to play that song for the tribute CD to the Shadows he was putting together, "An Evening in Nivram". He couldn't find anybody to do it, so I mentioned to him that my dad and I play it, and he asked us to record it. Since it is a renaissance-themed song, at my dad's suggestion we called the band the Troubadours, thinking that would be it. But once I moved to Indiana and we started the band in '00, he insisted that we stick with that name. Anyway, if you don't have "An Evening in Nivram", I strongly recommend it, it's great! I ended up writing the liner notes, too.

I have a private gig in a month or so. The tune doesn't look like brain surgery guitar-wise - most good music is simple. The tabs are available online.

It's definitely very simple, it should be easy to pick up.

I'm going to get this tune down and add some gypsy embellishments on a Maccaferri acoustic. I've been looking for a (different) mellow number.

I think that should work very well, John! Good luck!

Every so often, your guitar work gives me a little kick in the hind quarters.

Happy to be of service! Wink

A happy new year to you and your dad...

the same to you!

BTW - you have my kind of a man cave.... (somewhat) organized bric-a-brac all over the place.

Well, it's my dad's man-cave! Smile But mine's not too dissimilar, just mostly packed with amps and guitars!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015 07:54:17

I didn't know this was your dad. That is just way cool Ivan!

The Vox you are playing, is that an alnico blue in it? You guys with your cool shit just drives me crazy. Now I'm shopping for a Vox!!!!!!!! Argh

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

stratdancer wrote:

The Vox you are playing, is that an alnico blue in it?

It's a '92, and it originally came with Celestion Greenbacks, which I really didn't like in that amp. Celestion Alnico Blue are unbelievably expensive, so I ended up getting Weber's versions of those speakers for this amp - I think they're called Blue Dogs. Still not cheap, but substantially cheaper than the Celestions! I bought them many years ago, probably about 15 or so, and they sound really great. I think those speakers are a BIG part of that Vox sound, the Hank sound.

You guys with your cool shit just drives me crazy. Now I'm shopping for a Vox!!!!!!!! Argh

Big Grin Yep, I know how that goes! How do you think those of us with 'cool shit' got to this point??

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I've looked into an AC15 and an AC10 in the last day or so but I really don't want to spend the money on that tone right now. I did find an original vox vt60 blu series for 200 bucks. Might pick that up for a simple practice amp that I don't have to go through all the pageantry and formality of powering up tube amps and pedal boards in the studio live room every time I want to play. It does the AC sounds fairly well and the onboard effects aren't that cheesy!

Had no desire for a vox until I watch the living room vid with your dad. Thanks Ivan lol!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Ivan,
Is Weber still around?.. I thought I read somewhere that it's founder had passed on.
Weber Blue Dogs? I have a Bedrock AC50 (it's a VOX AC30 on crack with 4 EL84s) that might sound better with these speakers.
Good sound... but maybe that's just your fingers Laughing
J Mo'

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

Ivan,
Is Weber still around?.. I thought I read somewhere that it's founder had passed on.

He did, but his son continues to run the company. (The son has been involved in the company for a long time, way before his father's passing, and seems to also know his stuff.)

Weber Blue Dogs? I have a Bedrock AC50 (it's a VOX AC30 on crack with 4 EL84s) that might sound better with these speakers.

I suspect any amp would! Just make sure they have the power-handling capabilities. The original Celestion Blue speakers were rated at 15W each. I seem to remember that the Webers may be 25W, but I'm not sure about that.

Good sound... but maybe that's just your fingers Laughing

Smile Both help!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan, thanks for the really great videos. You are very blessed to have the opportunity to play guitar with your Dad. (and he, with you). I didn't start playing in a band until late in life and my biggest regret is that neither my Mom or my Dad lived to see me play.

If I may ask, how are you getting the echo sound on Peace Pipe? What pedal are you using? I can get close to a Shadows sound with my current set up but I'm not quite there yet.

Rob_J wrote:

Ivan, thanks for the really great videos. You are very blessed to have the opportunity to play guitar with your Dad. (and he, with you).

Thank you, Rob, I agree.

If I may ask, how are you getting the echo sound on Peace Pipe? What pedal are you using?

I actually used my trusty old Korg Dynamic Echo dl-301 pedal. Love that thing! That's been my main echo pedal from '98 until just recently. I used it for the recording of the first three Madeira studio albums as well as all of our live gigs until I started using the Strymon El Capistan two or so years ago (though I again used the Korg in Europe last summer for the Blair/Pongracic Band shows). I've raved about the Korg pedal (which has been out of production for a long time now) many times in the past, but it seems that I'm about the only person that actually likes that pedal! It's programmable and initially a bit complex to figure out, so maybe people aren't willing/able to do that. But I really think it sounds amazing - as does the Strymon.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Always grateful for these Troubadours snippets; this set is super special. (Keep wishing for a Troubadour equivalent of Sonic Cataclysm.) Any dates on the calendar for '16 yet?

Happy New Year to you both!
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Ivan,
Regarding the Korg pedal.. So that you don't feel alone, I like it. I like it so much in fact that I scrounged up two... you know me and my penchant for "a few( Wink )" duplicates. I remember your sending me the instruction sheet to program the blasted thing. When it's set up, it's great for a "quick" session or practice. Pity it isn't made anymore.

The Roland Space Echo - both the new ones and the old ones are what I use when it's a full setup. Brian Setzer can't be entirely wrong. Have you every tried one?

Thanks for the info on the WEBER Speakers
J Mo'

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next