Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Ivan Pongracic Sr. and Jr. playing some Shadows chestnuts for Christmas

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

That’s beautiful, Ivan. Lovely treatment of a great song. The two of you play well as a duo. It’s not always easy to find someone that “gets” rhythm guitar and can deliver the goods.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Ivan,

I have some of your CDs, but I listened to some of the solo versions you have posted on YouTube. Dawn in Cadiz is truly stunning. It has the intricacy of Jazz, even Classical music. Beautifully played. I love the sound of the Vox and the Strat together. It’s a perfect match.

My favored rig is a Gretsch plugged into a Winfield Cyclone amp. The Cyclone has a lot of commonality with the earliest AC-15s, EF-86 and all. The other amp I use is a Fender ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, which has greater midrange than the DRRI when you play the first channel. I think it’s a bit closer to the Brownface sound, less of a scooped midrange. It surfs well, in its own right.

If I might ask, what are you using for reverb?

Thanks very much again, synchro! My dad is a true disciple of Bruce Welch's, and has studied his style very closely since the '60s (he used to play in a Shadows cover band back in the mid-'60s!). And the two of us have been playing the Shadows' songs together since the early '90s, or even a bit earlier, a long time.

Thanks also for the compliments on Dawn in Cadiz. Credit where credit is due, most of that lead guitar part was composed by Alex Anthony Faide of Los Twang! Marvels. We are friends and mutual admirers - I think he's an amazing talent! We decided to finally collaborate on a song (since I did a few other collaborations on the Madeira's Ancient Winds album, with Jim Skiathitis of the Atlantics, Danny Snyder of the TomorrowMen and Jeremy DeHard of Aqualads), so I sent him a song for which I wrote the chord progressions for all the different parts as well as the opening and closing open-harmonics figure. He wrote the rest of the melodies. I was just floored when he first sent it to me! It took a LOT of work to be able to learn to play it as well as he did on the demo. The video of me playing it by myself you're asking about has me playing straight through my '65-reissue Deluxe Reverb, with the reverb from the amp, nothing else. I had just purchased that Foam Green Strat and was test-driving it. It sounded so good I thought I'd just record myself playing that.

The rest of the YouTube videos of me playing various songs have me playing a variety of amps. Usually the reverb you're hearing is my '09 Gomez G-Spring reverb unit, though I think my '90s Fender reissue unit makes an appearance, too, and sometimes it's just the amp reverb, like on Dawn in Cadiz. The amps can be my reissue AC30 (with Celestion Blues), DRRI, early '90s Vibroverb reissue, a '62 brownface Bandmaster, Gomez Surfer - or sometimes just my little Vox DA-5 digital modeling practice amp! I've used them all in those videos. There you go!

I've seen some mention of Winfield amps in the past, and if yours is modeled after an AC15 AND it has an EF86 tube, that's gonna be one KILLER amp! I've heard a lot of good stuff about the '68 Custom series of amps, too, many from people on this forum! Sounds like you've got a nice rig there! Enjoy, and thank you again!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017 15:02:58

He has Welch down to a fine art. The Shadows were fantastic; truly a unique approach and an unbeatable sound. The two of you do it proud.

Dawn in Cadiz is no walk in the park to play. It has to be planned out and executed carefully. It doesn’t fall back on any cliches, it has a structure all its own. Songs like that take a while to internalize and you have to internalize them in order to play them. It’s essentially plectrum classical guitar. The ‘65 works well on that cut.

The Gomez reverb has to be awesome. I wish we could keep him busy full-time building amps, etc. He’s a true asset. I’d love to have a Surfer but don’t play enough large venues to justify it.

Those early Vibroverb RIs can be sweet. Century Bob, formerly of Two Lane Blacktop, has one. Apparently there are a couple of simple mods that really work wonders. I’ve heard his live and it is quite rich sounding.

My big amp is a TRRI with a perfectly balanced set of 6L6s which are as close as you can get to the old RCA black plate. It’s heavier than I care to schlep, so I had a piggyback cabinet made and have a 1x15” Eminence Commonwealth pushing the air molecules. I had to use a 9” reverb because of the low clearance of the cabinet, but it sounds quite good. Mel Waldorf put me onto the idea of the small onboard pan. I wasn’t expecting much, but it actually drips.

Winfield Thomas lives 30-40 miles east of me, so I’ve seen the hallowed ground up close. He builds quite a variety of models, including the 5 watt Typhoon which has essentially the same EF-86 front end. When I’m mic’d and know that the soundman has me covered, I just use the little Typhoon with a Topanga reverb. It sounds as big as a Dual Showman and weighs a fraction as much as just a Showman head.

The Winfield Cyclone is a 15 watt with the same preamp and I believe that he makes a 30 watt version as well. Besides that, he makes something quite akin to a blackface DR and a tweed Deluxe.

Ivan, as I'm sure many feel, these videos with your Dad evoke something way beyond the music. I feel blessed that you can share these with us. Literally, a gift that keeps on giving. Especially, as you say, now that the hectic pace (nee' chaos) of often juggling 2-family Christmas visits & celebrations has passed and the snow falls, yielding a quieter time for reflection.

Keep us posted please on The Troubadours' schedule for the coming year as I would still love to get the chance to meet Mr. Pongracic.

I wish you both many more Christmases together.
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Ivan, as I'm sure many feel, these videos with your Dad evoke something way beyond the music. I feel blessed that you can share these with us. Literally, a gift that keeps on giving.

That’s exactly how it struck me. When I meet, and play music with someone and the music clicks, that’s a special moment. It bridges generations, cultures and background. Family is something very special. When there is another bond, such as music, it becomes even more special.

So wonderful. Must be an amazing feeling, playing like that with your dad (= really really well). Blissful, I'd say.
Hope to one day have that experience with my kids, playing Madeira covers!

Ivan, I think you haven't alerted the forum yet to the "Hail Poseidon" clip. Love it. It's my 2nd favorite song from the album, 1st being the one following... hint hint.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017 10:41:54

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for all your wonderful compliments, gentlemen! I'm very glad you're enjoying the videos, and of course, they're pretty special to my dad and me! Lots and lots of fun to be able to do this together.

(Ariel, sorry, I must have forgotten to post the Hail, Poseidon clip! I intended to, but I guess it just slipped my mind. Glad to hear you like the song that much - it's actually my favorite on the album, but not that many people bring it up, so it's nice to have it get some love! Big Grin )

Happy new year, all!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 14:26:32

Thank you very much, Mr. Delrin96mm! I'm a huge fan of the Shadows and have been since the age of 10 (I'm now 48). I couldn't agree more with your observation about the whole band being masterful musicians, too! My dad (who specializes in Bruce-Welch-style rhythm guitar) and I have had a Shadows tribute band since 2000, the Troubadours, based in Indiana. We got to play (and hang out) with Bruce Welch and Licorice Locking back in 2003 in Toronto, Canada for the Shadowmania North America, and that was a truly wonderful experience - Bruce proved to be a truly down-to-earth and interesting man. (I spent about 3-4 hrs sitting next to him in the hotel bar after the show, chatting away, and it's one of my dearest memories.) My dad and I also attended the 'real' Shadowmania in Surrey in May of 2000, and got to catch Hank playing live (solo) in Norwich on that same trip. Oh, I also got to play THEE STRAT (the '59 Strat Hank used on all their big hits in '60-'61, now owned by Bruce, who's standing to my left, keeping a watchful eye over it - he had it insured for half - or 3/4? I forget now - million pounds, after all!) in Toronto in 2003!!! Here's photographic evidence:

Thanks again for the nice words, and once again, welcome to SG101! We're happy to have you here!

Here is the YouTube playlist with all 12 (!) videos of my dad and me performing the Shadows over the past three Christmases. Hope it's a nice way to start your new years! Big Grin
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCrNIMaZJAOpeQ4Al9dSoImkGguE03rZv

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Jan 04, 2018 13:12:14

Ivan, you will probably find that you are able to heal lepers after playing that. Smile

A couple of years ago, I got to spend some time playing one of Hank Garland's old Byrdlands. What an experience! The same collector also had Johnny Smith's old Epiphone Triumph, which was yet another playing experience I won't soon forget. It's possible that I got to play the guitar Jingle Bell Rock was composed on and the guitar that Walk Don't run was composed on, both. I haven't had much luck with healing leprosy, but I gave a guy some aspirin and his headache went away. Smile

synchro, LMAO ! VERY cool with all the different guitars you got to play!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

synchro, LMAO ! VERY cool with all the different guitars you got to play!

Next time you meet a leper give it a try. It's gotta work. Smile

I've been blessed with a lack of inhibition, in some things, so I've gotten to play some nice axes over the years. I played the Hagstrom that Green-Eyed Lady was recorded on back in the seventies. I got to play Joe Pass' guitar in his presence. I lived in Denver, so Johnny Smith was never more than an hour away. I don't remember that I ever played his guitar, but I know for a fact that he played my Johnny Smith Model, 'cause he did a setup for me, free of charge. There's actually going to be a short piece about it in Pipeline Magazine.

BTW, the same friend/collector that had the Hank Garland Byrdland and the Johnny Smith Epi also has the last Country Gent Chet ever played in public. I didn't get to play that one. IIRC, it was locked in a plexiglass display case.

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 14:26:57

Thank you so much for sharing, so sweet) you’re a cool pair with your dad!
These melodies remind me of my childhood, guess you know that in USSR in the beginning of eighties almost no western music was avalable, but my parents had a disc of Soviet band Поющие гитары (Singing guitars) who made some instrumental covers for the Shadows( Apache, Man of Mystery, Peace pipe and some more) renaming and rearranging them. Peace pipe(that they named Blue bird) was one of my favourites, I was around 6 or 7. Many years ago when I started diggin surf music in my thirties I recalled that I was a surf fan in my childhood without knowing it))) Thanks for calling back these memories)

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Thanks for a very interesting post, Samurai. I always wonder about different places and what they listen to in various cultures. I remember that things were pretty isolated in the USSR, but wasn’t sure how that affected music. The universal appeal of various arts always finds a way, however. I remember reading an article in Guitar Player about Guitars sold in the Soviet Union. As I recall, they had an ES-335 clone available. Showing up with a Gibson or Fender would have been all but impossible, I imagine, and would probably have placed one under scrutiny.

synchro wrote:

Thanks for a very interesting post, Samurai. I always wonder about different places and what they listen to in various cultures. I remember that things were pretty isolated in the USSR, but wasn’t sure how that affected music. The universal appeal of various arts always finds a way, however. I remember reading an article in Guitar Player about Guitars sold in the Soviet Union. As I recall, they had an ES-335 clone available. Showing up with a Gibson or Fender would have been all but impossible, I imagine, and would probably have placed one under scrutiny.

Sure it was a miracle to see Gibson or Fender, we mostly had some clones like Yamaha SGV-300 named Ural, or some Eastern Europian Musimas or alike. The same about music, we had access only to some limeted number of atists somehow favored by communist government (I remember Adriano Celentano or Joe Dassen) and sometimes suddenly we may have a Beatles vinyl in a music shop)) Sure the people listened to a lot of music “underground” (the band I wrote about surely had some Shadows records and decided to open it to us in this illegal but delicate way), but I was too young then and when I was 15 we suddenly got access to everything when USSR broke up. And in 1993 I saw real Fender Stratocaster for the first time)

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Samurai wrote:

synchro wrote:

Sure it was a miracle to see Gibson or Fender, we mostly had some clones like Yamaha SGV-300 named Ural, or some Eastern Europian Musimas or alike. The same about music, we had access only to some limeted number of atists somehow favored by communist government (I remember Adriano Celentano or Joe Dassen) and sometimes suddenly we may have a Beatles vinyl in a music shop)) Sure the people listened to a lot of music “underground” (the band I wrote about surely had some Shadows records and decided to open it to us in this illegal but delicate way), but I was too young then and when I was 15 we suddenly got access to everything when USSR broke up. And in 1993 I saw real Fender Stratocaster for the first time)

I think that SGV-300 was what I recall seeing in Guitar Player. All in all, a very decent instrument. One thing I find interesting is the instruments made in China. They have a heritage of instrument making which goes back a very long time and, as I understand it, have made fine orchestral instruments for a very long time. While some of the inexpensive instruments from there are not so good, I've seen some that were truly exceptional. A friend of mine specs and sells guitars made in China under the brand name of Harvest. His top of the line instrument is an acoustic archtop with a suspended pickup which rivals a Gibson Johnny Smith Model. They can build great instruments there.

Samurai wrote:

These melodies remind me of my childhood... who made some instrumental covers for the Shadows( Apache, Man of Mystery, Peace pipe and some more) renaming and rearranging them.

My wife (Polish) is always telling me that she recognizes tunes that have different names, but often insists they are Polish originals. She was trying to tell me that the "reggae" song "Kingston Town" by UB40 was a Polish folk song. Then I heard the song's melody in the middle of surf tune "Twilight City" by The Vulcanes and figured someone was influenced by it from somewhere.

Anyway, back to Ivan and his father...I'm surprised neither of you have a Burns Marvin (or at least a Marquee) in your ownership.

I guess I'm not too surprised to hear that. I'm no expert on how various music actually developed, but it obviously has some common roots. Music from all around the Mediterranean basin seems to share certain characteristics.

A while back, I was reading about the "Andalusian Cadence", basically the changes to Walk, Don't Run. The origins were Spanish, make that Greek, make that Israeli. From there, the possible roots could have come from some of the nations east of there, or possibly they come from Israeli culture, no one knows for certain. The point here is that once you unravel the thread it never ends. It all goes back to some guy beating on a hollow log and noticing that it brought him attention. Smile

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next