Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink The future of SG101 3.0

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Brian,

If your time permits, please do continue SG101 to 3.0.

This site is a tremendous information resource with insights from the world's best instrumental surf guitar players. I have learned a ton from the discussions here and met some really great people. The various surf guitar conventions certainly take their inspiration from this place. Even the surf band I'm now in came about from answering an ad on SG101.

I will never sign up for Facebook. They collect personal information and sell it, in one form or another.

SG101 has no such angle. This place is pure and honest.

Whatever you decide, thank you for all your years of hard work and effort.

Paul

ColtsSurf wrote:

I will never sign up for Facebook. They collect personal information and sell it, in one form or another.

Which isn't even the #1 reason not to join!

I will repeat that I too would be very sad to see SG101 go because I've been around since the mailing list days and am pretty attached, but that's not necessarily a reason for you to keep busting your ass on the site. I spend more time on this site than I do Facebook, which isn't to say it's a lot (just busy times) but this is my default surf-to destination when I take a minute. I don't participate as much as I would like, but to me this site is the most worthwhile place on the web and I would definitely be on more if a mobile version of the site made it more phone-friendly.

I hope we have many more years of SG101 ahead of us.

Richard

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I learned a whole lot from this site, and like others don't like FB, so would hate to see SG101 go. I ONLY use FB for the band stuff... i got in there when you could still use a fake name. FB creeps me out.

THREE POINT OOOOOH!

"We spent the last 50 years mired in the 1960s, let's spend the next 50 years mired in NOW!" - Principle Skinner

FB is the devil... 3.0 this chestnut for the next gen!!

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nocturne-Brain-Preamp-Zombies/240721872969

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015 17:26:21

Most of what I have to say has been posted already. I don't feel facebook could replace SG101 in anyway. A forum is both a community and a database. I've digged up post from 10 years ago that have had very useful information to me. I don't think facebook could have that kind of knowledge bank. Not only that, I don't think full on multi-page conversations would happen on facebook. Discovering this site has been one of the most important events in my musical life. I've learned so much about the music, the technique and the gear of the style of music that has taken complete control of my life.

What facebook is good out it seems is media sharing and event calendars. I think we'd lose more than we'd gain.

When I go on facebook I'm bombarded with so much stuff that I usually just ignore it and move on.

That being said I'm not the one writing all the code and completely understand how much work that would be. If SG101 continues I will continue going on it.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

I am an FB user but have very simple needs. Really, I am not needing anything feature-laden and spiffy. I love SG101 for what it is.

Unless there is a very compelling reason (monetization of ads revenue, operating costs, security gaps with the current design) I suggest SG101 stay as-is and set another review date to assess this in the future.

A big thank you to Brian and to everyone that actively provides content to this site.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015 17:58:48

I'm glad we're getting so much input and positive vibes from this thread. I'd like to gently nudge the bulk of this discussion towards suggestions that would increase activity here. Or criticisms that explain how activity has been dropping.

Perhaps we can form an outreach committee that actively seeks out pockets of surf bands and surf fans and solicits their membership here.

What would all of you think of completely separating the gear thread into it's own website? I don't think it drives traffic to the actual music discussions, and I can't explain it but it just feels like it actually detracts in some way. Perhaps if it existed as a sister website, SG101 would have more focus on the music and build some new momentum. Also, I would jettison the Shallow End, take it to Facebook I say, it's outgrown it's necessity for non-surf related posts.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I think we need some 'assignments'. A dedicated feature for Mondays-Friday(Meet a Band Monday, Important Record Tuesday, etc...) and people could volunteer/be asked to start a thread on a given day on a specific subject.

The gear section definitely shouldn't go, as it isn't a problem when there active participation elsewhere on the site. The gear section also gains some really great pointers about musicianship and most of us try to steer people away from specific gear solutions for the perfect tone, and more towards what works for you situation/aspirations as you can play music with most any gear.

I also feel the gear section is a big pull, as lots of people searching the web find us and discover surf music that way.

Merging the Surf Musician and Gear sections makes a lot of sense. And if people think there is too much gear talk, then I would suggest moderated daily/weekly topics where we talk about the musicianship of it all.

A lot of making SG101 better relies on us all. We can all take initiative and create topics we feel are important to us and to other surf musicians. We can call/e-mail our old friends and have them come back more. Ask them why they don't visit and work with them to make this place better. We are all better as a team! Review an album, reminisce about a favorite band, post some history, talk about your band, let us know what drives you

SG101 for as long as it's here. No FB in my future.

DannySnyder wrote:

What would all of you think of completely separating the gear thread into it's own website?

How about a Surf Guitar Europe forum!! English Speaking, Talk nut and bolts all day!

Shutting down SG101 would be like closing down your local library, club, and community center all at the same time. Very sad.

SG 101 does a lot right now. I'm always surprised how much content is here. Some re-org before 3.0 might be good.

Updating for 3.0 would be great. Making sharing easier. (Video and audio). Mobile and tablet upgrades would be awesome.

Facebook (and other social media) are great for "in the moment" which is great for promotion. You can blast everyone including non surf fans easily. It sucks as a true resource of information and knowledge. Ever try to look back and find years old posts on FB? Terrible for multiple topics too. Its promotion and chat only.

Slow down in activity. Things cycle. Maybe SG101 could use social media and mmore SEO to promote the website. I was on the long ago Cowabunga Yahoo Group and did know about SG101 website until just a few years ago by word of mouth.

Last I would encourage everyone who feels value in SG101 to support it. Donate, coordinate, promote, etc.

Thanks Brian and everyone out there. SG101 has been a get resource which I truly appreciate and hope can evolve and grow. Mahalo!

Robert

The GnarlyMen

Brian,

I really love this format for SG101, and most of what I like about it has already been said. I don't think FB would improve anything on this site. Combining headings, making some changes to this format, etc may make it more appealing to more, but, for me, this is great. My vote is for SG101 3.0, or to keep it as it is. Whatever you decide, I will continue to support SG101.

Thanks for all your work!
Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

One little thing that may be useful is to number the posts in the threads.
It could be useful for lengthy threads,
being able to reference a specific post by number.

I really like the latest posts on the main page.
It's the first thing I look at.
Also, the search feature is truly excellent. It works really well.

Bring on SG101 3.0!!! No Facebook!! I don't do or like FB. I did FB for a couple of months and got off. Will not go back. I really enjoy the gear section, learned a lot there. If SG101 goes all I'll have left is SquierTalk. I no longer own any Squiers---some are better than decent and some are less than decent. They do have a surf thread but no real surf players. And a lack of deep surf knowledge.
Brian you have done one helluva great job here!!! If you shut SG101 down, you will be sorely missed..imho.

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

Something that I think NEEDS to happen is for users to be able to integrate Bandcamp into their user profiles. And for those who have a bandcamp integration, they would have flair or a link (like the PM link) to visit their profile/bandcamp.

Just MORE and MORE music. There isn't enough music directly available on this site and I feel bandcamp is the best way to listen share, sample, and buy music for artists like ourselves.

I'm not very interested in checking out youtube samples/videos, I don't know why, but I am very likely to visit any band's bandcamp to see if it is something I want to buy.

Something I really liked about a local music site we had in Ottawa was a giant list of bands with simple description and links to their contacts and music (bandcamp). Feel like hearing some new music? Look through the list and click on something. Could perhaps be user-editable.

I like the "assignment idea". "Learn a surf song Wednesday". Another site I like does monthly recording challenges. I think this kind of stuff would create unique content and act as a... springboard... for discussion.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Being the nerd I am, I would have coded a new website even if only 5 people stayed and the rest left for Facebook. But it is very encouraging to see so many voice support. I'm glad so many enjoy the site. I of course agree with Jonpaul and feel this site beats FB for searching and long conversations and they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Please keep the great suggestions coming, I am making notes.

A few random comments on some posts in this thread.

WoodyJ, I understand about not liking some of the music touted as surf music here, but it makes me sad you feel mistreated here. I for one appreciate the perspective of the "old guy" who was there when he was a kid.

Spinning the gear forum into its own site would be a huge headache. Having two sites is not feasible when I can barely do one.

DaveF, each post in a thread has a perma-link. You can get it from the little link icon at the top of each post (e.g. right click and copy link address). You can refer to individual posts that way.

Also, see this thread on how to read the forums using the "show unread posts" feature.

Again, more ideas for 3.0 please.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

WoodyJ, I understand about not liking some of the music touted as surf music here, but it makes me sad you feel mistreated here.

Same, Woody has always been one of my favorites here. I think I am guilty of some "guys in bowling shirts" comments, but I hope I didn't come off is vitriolic when I said them. I think, over 10 years, I have always maintained a "a great band is going to look awesome no matter what they wear" stance while being critical on "a sloppy looking and sounding band will make no fans, while a band who pays attention to their presentation and is not too great might actually make some fans". And presentation is a lot more than how people dress, as stage presence does not come from clothing.

Anyways... fancy that I kind of got us off topic. Love ya guys!

I really hope you keep going, Brian! Doing something without enough return is not fun, so I understand your dilemma. I try to engage the best I can, when I can, with subjects that I dig but people do seem to come here for mostly for the gear talk. Several contributors that I enjoyed aren’t around anymore, especially enthusiastic ones into 60’s stuff, like Klas. How to bring that back is anyone's guess!

But a dedicated forum like this and Facebook are two different animals. They can’t be compared. Nor do I feel just because you’re on one you should drop the other. They both serve their purpose!

FB is for the everyday person. It’s necessary so you can connect with everyday people who aren’t aficionados. A forum like this is for hardcore aficionados. The casual listener is not likely to join a forum like this. But it’s great for bands and hardcore fans to connect. I’ve made a lot of friends by simply joining here! I know others can say the same. That's pretty priceless.

Perhaps revamping the site with something that’s more interactive with FB and other social network places is a good idea. Truly hope you figure it out somehow and keep up the great work!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next