Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 1976-1978 Silver Face Reverb Unit

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

SurfBeat wrote:

After spending about $500 over ten-twelve years to get the 76 RU to do what I wanted, sound like my 61, the task was finally accomplished.

In fact, the 76 now sounds way better than my 61.

As for caps effect on tone, caps do have a significant impact on tone; not the value, but the manufacturer.
I think I am now the resident expert on this unit.

Wait ... in your post above you said changing brands was a total waste go money. Now you say the brand and not the value makes a difference and you have crowned yourself as the resident expert on this unit.

Respectfully, you are not getting what's going on with this unit. Don't get me wrong, you're probably a great guy and you know what you want it to sound like. I'm really not trying to have a pissing match here but I need to correct your statement. But the reason it took you $500 and ten years through 3 techs is that you don't understand what in the circuit controls the tone of the unit. Changing the values probably makes a change on the order of a couple of magnitudes more than changing the brands. Not to say that different brands of caps might not have differences, but those differences are likely at frequencies about 10x higher than the top end of human hearing. So yes, they might make some differences in radio circuitry, but not in guitar audio

It's like the difference between a hamburger and a cheeseburger. You just take the cheese off and you end up with a hamburger. But you spent 10 years trying other brands of cheese instead of just removing the cheese. Changing brands of caps is like moving the pickle from 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock underneath the tomato.

So let's get together sometime and have a couple of beers and listen (or even better play) some surf tunes together.

I'm not a tech, but, I know his repair and redesign was necessary to make that thing sound good. I think he just threw away the original circuit board, and put in a proper one. I know the guy who fixed it. I think the short version of this thread is just understand, and accept this as a warning to not get involved with one of these if you want to sound like The Original Safaris. Besides, the older ones look cooler, too.

You, on the other hand, may have a different opinion.

~dave

mikey3 wrote:

I have a 76 also, I am quite curious as to what may happen if I just replace the pots. According to the schematic on the '76 the dwell pot is 10k, where on the 6g15 it is 250k.

There is a resistor that needs to be changed along with the pot value. The SF circuit limits how much you can turn up the dwell so in effect when you are are 10 on a SF be much lower on the 6g15.

I changed out just the pot to one of 250k, does it get more 'verb? Yes. Does it get too much and overdrive? Yes.
What do you suggest boomer? I do not want to do any major mods, just dial in a bit more verb. I was thinking of maybe trying a 50k instead of the 250k and leaving the rest. Or I could leave the 250k dwell pot, and remove the 100k resistor coming off the dwell before the .0022 cap.

UPDATE

I removed that resistor and connecting the now missing link with wire. It did help, but I can only run until about 4/5 on until I overdrive. Likely I will have to use a lower value pot. 250k is just too much, even with the 100k resistor that follows it removed.

dboomer wrote:

mikey3 wrote:

I have a 76 also, I am quite curious as to what may happen if I just replace the pots. According to the schematic on the '76 the dwell pot is 10k, where on the 6g15 it is 250k.

There is a resistor that needs to be changed along with the pot value. The SF circuit limits how much you can turn up the dwell so in effect when you are are 10 on a SF be much lower on the 6g15.

Last edited: Jul 03, 2015 14:00:57

I wish I had the time to explain when the "brand," i.e., manufacturer of a cap in a specific circuit matters, and when it does not, but I do not have the time today. I suggeest, if you want a lucid answer to that question to get a copy of Gerald Webers amp book and he will make it much clearer than I.

One thing I can make crystal clear, speaking from experience, is that if you own an 1975-1978 silver face reverb unit and want it to sound like a 6G15 of a RI, sell the 75-78 and replace it with a 6G15 or a RI, OR, get ready to do some major surgery on the 75-78.

When the engineer who designed the 75-78 RU did so, times had changed from the surf era, so CBS target customer was not Dick Dale, Jim Fuller, Ed Bertrand, or me, Joe Gieniec. Music trends had changed; the English invasion killed surf.

Don't waste your time changing out pots, pans, (pun intended) resistors, tubes, etc. None of that is gonna' work. I guarantee it.

The 75-78 RU works exactly as it was designed and when it comes to being applied to the surf genre, it sucks.

Anybody out there that has a 75-78, I will buy it for $175.00. That is all it is worth. I know the time it will take and the cost to make it work in the surf genre.

Rather than selling it to me, put the darn item on ebay or Craigslist, advertise it for $400 (Guitar Player's 2015 price guide has a range of $500-$600), state clearly that the unit was not designed for surf music, and and pray somebody will then buy it.

Enough about that silver face RU. I gotta go fix by Jet Skis. Like a dumb @$$, I forgot to screw in the drain plugs before I launched last night and this morning my engine compartment was 1/2 filled with water. Now I have an electrical problem I think? Where the hell is my multi meter now that I need it??

dboomer wrote:

So let's get together sometime and have a couple of beers and listen (or even better play) some surf tunes together.

Lets do it. My Showmen are down at the Elks lodge next month, on the 15th. Come on down and join us.

If you have the time, log onto Youtube and pull up 'The Showmen Live at Rhythm Collision II" so you will have an idea what we will be playing.

You and I are definitely beating heads together on a subject that I know a lot about, but am having a hard time explaining. I readily admit, I know very little about electronics. I can only experiment, and when I do, I often screw it up.

That said, when I looked in the mirror and asked, do you know what the hell you are doing and the answer was "hell no," I sought out experienced help.

That help was able to provide the answer to my elusive question, why won't this %$#&#%! reverb sound like it should. The answer was, "it does sound like it should, but the sound is not for surf. It was not intended to be a 6G15, but targeted for a different musician who wanted to eliminate the drip sound and instead provide a dark reverb sound.

So, all the changes in pots n pans, resistors, tubes, caps will not turn a 75-78 into a 6G15 without major surgery.

That is a fact, Jack.

Have a happy 4th Boom.

Joey G

SurfBeat wrote:

I wish I had the time to explain when the "brand," i.e., manufacturer of a cap in a specific circuit matters, and when it does not, but I do not have the time today.

Take all the time you need. I am an engineer by trade and I fully understand the differences. In this kind of an audio circuit the difference will be 100-1000 times less than the difference you will get by changing guitar cables. Still wanna spend your money?

Don't waste your time changing out pots, pans, (pun intended) resistors, tubes, etc. None of that is gonna' work. I guarantee it.

Then what's left to change except the faceplate?

The 75-78 RU works exactly as it was designed and when it comes to being applied to the surf genre, it sucks.

Agreed, but I thought the topic was how to make is sound good in a surf sense???

dboomer wrote:

SurfBeat wrote:

I wish I had the time to explain when the "brand," i.e., manufacturer of a cap in a specific circuit matters, and when it does not, but I do not have the time today.

Take all the time you need. I am an engineer by trade and I fully understand the differences. In this kind of an audio circuit the difference will be 100-1000 times less than the difference you will get by changing guitar cables. Still wanna spend your money?

I will explain my position below.

Then what's left to change except the faceplate?

No, the faceplate can be retained, however, the entire circuit has to be changed.

Agreed, but I thought the topic was how to make is sound good in a surf sense???

It can't be done unless a major part of the circuit is changed.

For the record, boomer, (and I respond only because you mentioned vocations), I was an excellent marksman when I was a cop, I am damn good with my law books and the art or persuasion when my client is facing a judge who wants to incarcerate him, but, when it comes to anything that requires using a multi meter or the field electronics, I am a 100% novice.

Boom, the only point I was trying to make about capacitor manufacturer, which was based upon what I have read, not from any formal training which I readily admit I have none, was that when it comes to caps in the power section, the manufacture does not matter.

Contrary to my statement regarding the caps for the power section, with respect to caps in the tone section, go with USA or German made caps. I make that statement from experience when I substituted USA made caps for Chinese. When I used Chinese made caps, tone was significantly effected. When I tossed the Chinese caps and replaced them with German made caps, I got my ideal tone back.

Moving along, and being redundant, the 1975-1978 Fender Reverb unit sounds the way it does because it was designed NOT to have the "drip" that was designed into the 6G15 or post 93 RI. The CBS engineers marketed the 75-78 for a different player, not one that wanted the "drip" sound.

Therefore, based upon facts, changing the pots n pans, tubes, caps, resistors or cables, (or all), as suggested by several musicians in this Thread will not make the 75-78 produce a "surf" sound.

I only referred to myself as being the "resident expert" on the 75-78 based upon what I have learned since I first got my hands on the POS unit in 1999, (I found the invoice yesterday, $375), having several techs work on it, talking to a handful of owners, and listening to a couple, and then finally, finding a tech who had a breadth of experience working on Fender amps.

So, based upon the foregoing, if someone were to come across this Thread, then, if that person was wise, I would be the best source to provide reliable information.

Now Boom, if you think I am wrong, that is the circuit must be completely modified to get the drip,, but instead some simple mods such a changing some pots n pans, tubes, cables, resistors, can transform the 75-78 from its designed dark sound to the surf sound that all surf players seek, get Mikey's up n running using your theory.

If I am wrong, dinner is on me.

Until I am proven wrong, which I know I won't, my advice to anyone contemplating purchasing a reverb unit to play the surf genre, don't purchase a 75-78, unless, you want a hand wired reverb and have the knowledge to change the circuit and ready to spend about $100 bucks in parts.

As I pointed out previously, according to the recent (2015) price guide published by Vintage Guitar, 75-78's sell for about %500-$600, so if a person has to add another $100 bucks to that cost, plus shipping costs, common sense would indicate the wiser choice would be to purchase a RI for about $375 or a 1966 for about $700. (66's are the lowest priced, but the same chassis as a 61)

Another consideration is resale value once the 75-78 is modified; it loses its "vintage" mode, being worth far less than the purchase price and parts to modify it.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I will be keenly watching this Thread to see if anyone is able to make the 75-78 sound like a 6G15, or fit for the surf genre, by simply changing pots, pans, tubes, rectifiers, transistors, capacitors, or whatever. Based upon my experience, it ain't gonna happen.

So Boom, I am done rambling about the POS 75-78 Fender Reverb unit, so are you coming down to sit in with my band next month? I will even buy ya lunch and some brew if you drink. We can then laugh about this exchange of ideas.

Last edited: Jul 04, 2015 14:11:52

It can't be done unless a major part of the circuit is changed.

Moreover, the 1975-1978 Fender Reverb unit sounds the way it does because it was designed not to have the "drip" that was designed into the 6G15 or post 93 RI. The CBS engineers marketed the 75-78 for a different player, not one that wanted the "drip."

Therefore, changing the pots n pans, tubes, caps and resistors as suggested by several musicians in this Thread will not make the 75-78 produce a "surf" sound.

Once the 75-78 is modified, it loses its "vintage" mode, then worth far less than the purchase price and parts to modify ot.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I will be keenly watching this Thread to see if anyone is able to make the 75-78 sound like a 6G15, or fit for the surf genre, by simply changing pots, pans, tubes, rectifiers, transistors, capacitors, or whatever. Based upon my experience, it ain't gonna happen.

I am hoping I can challenge this. I am not an expert in the 6g15, but I can tell you from my experience changing the pot and resistor in the reverb drive circuit that I think that this is something that can happen. Again I am not expert in electronics, or the circuitry of this unit, but based upon the design and only feeding 10k variable resistance followed by the extra 100k resistor before the first cap, there is not a lot driving the reverb pan. Using the 250k pot with the resistor behind it, I was getting a lot of that drip sound, at a very low setting, once cranking it up a bit I was overdriving the unit, so in theory, too much resistance. I am going to try a 25k or 50k pot with the 100k resistor before the first cap if I can find the pot at a local store, or I will make due to see what I can come up with. I do believe that there is a lot of verb to be had in this unit, and I do not think that it does require major surgery to get it working that way (although I could very much be wrong) I am hoping that the simplest solution is the right solution, and that is surrounded by the dwell pot/resistor, but I could be wrong, and tinkering will soon tell.

Last edited: Jul 04, 2015 14:03:36

Mikey, I praise your zeal to get that POS 75-78 RU to give you the sound you desire. I shared the same opinion and enthusiasm as you now reflect, only to be disappointed after spending money that did not get the desired results, tossing the POS in the garage for a couple of years and finding it when the boss lady told me it is time to clean out the garage, again trying to get it to give me the sound I wanted, i.e., like my 6G15. It took the fourth tech to finally get the task accomplished,

Please keep this Thread posted on your results, whether you find or do not find the solution. If the former, I am gonna raise hell with my tech who charged me $298.33 to get it to function the way I wanted, like a 6G15. Unlike you, (no disrespect intended) he is supposed to be an expert, formally trained.

I hope you get it done before the fireworks go on display tonight.

_mikey3 wrote:

I am hoping that the simplest solution is the right solution, and that is surrounded by the dwell pot/resistor, but I could be wrong, and tinkering will soon tell._

That's a big part of it. In the SF design the plate voltage is higher so you need to adjust the dwell pot and associated circuitry to correct it. You could also change the cathode bypass cap's value as it affects both the gain and the tone of the preamp stage.

Last edited: Jul 04, 2015 15:18:00

So, played around with the unit a bit tonight. I had a 12AT7 lying around so i put it in V1, I did not have any pots of lower value that I was able to get tonight, so what I did was wire a 100k resistor on lugs 1 and 3 of the 250k pot I used to replace the dwell in order to lower its value in hopes of not overdriving the unit. This allowed me to get to about 8/9 on the dial before starting to overdrive, meaning my max resistance is still too high, but this will be easy with a lower value pot when I finally get one. Another side note, i noticed not the schematic there was one .0022 cap from mixer to tone pot. Mine had two of them wired in parallel, so I removed it and left only one in its place like the schematic said (even though I did not notice much difference if any once it was gone)
Now on to the 'verb. I was able to dial in much, much more usable reverb than I was able to before any of these minor modifications were done. However, is this gonna sound like a 6G15. I can't say for certain as I have never owned or played through one, only familiar with sounds off albums,and demo's I have seen on youtube. I do think I can get a decent surf sound with this unit as it stands right now? Yes I do think so, I can try and get some sound samples up or something to give a general idea of what this sounds like through my amp, but that may not happen for a few days or any recording will likely have the sound of kids screaming and running around in the background...lol. One thing that I have noticed from the videos I have seen on 6g15's that the mixer seems to be different on the 70's units. If I turn the mixer to 10, the sound is overkill, almost too distant if that makes any sense. Not sure whats going on there, but great sounds when its set anywhere from 3-7, although I prefer it close to 5 depending on where I set the dwell.
I will keep posted on my progress. And SurfBeat, no offence taken, to me this is a hobby and not my job. That being said I am sure your tech is great and for your unit to sound like your 61, and even better then it is money well spent. I honestly can't make that comparison and it be credible as I do not own or have first hand experience playing through one of those units. All I know for sure is that the minor changes that I did make to mine, although not finalized yet, have made a very big difference in the sounds that the unit is now able to produce.

I attached a very quick and basic recording, so people can hear the basic sound I am getting. Please try and omit my crappy playing I was just trying to get something done quick, and I need to brush up on surf lines, as its not my background...I used my iPhone to record it just in front of my amp. Settings are Classic 50's strat bridge pickup to reverb unit, ( tone 9, mix 4, dwell 6) I say mix 4 as that's where it would likely be on a knob 1-10 but mine goes 5-0 then 0-5 (hope that makes sense) this feeds my pro junior turned to about 2 on the volume and tone at about 8. So thoughts on the verb, not my playing. Am I getting close to 6g15 territory?
https://soundcloud.com/user755211411/reverb-test

Last edited: Jul 05, 2015 15:11:31

mikey3 wrote:

SurfBeat, no offence taken, to me this is a hobby and not my job. That being said I am sure your tech is great and for your unit to sound like your 61, and even better then it is money well spent. I honestly can't make that comparison and it be credible as I do not own or have first hand experience playing through one of those units. All I know for sure is that the minor changes that I did make to mine, although not finalized yet, have made a very big difference in the sounds that the unit is now able to produce.

Mikey, no offense taken. Like you, I am a novice with a multi-meter.

Now that I found my invoice for my 76, I was able to recollect I bought it for $375 on ebay from a dealer in Texas who claimed it sounded bitchin.

Unfortunately for me, when it arrived on my door step I was very busy on a case, so, I forgot about it for over a month and when i finally plugged it in and heard that "dark sound," I figured the problem lied in the 6V6 or 7025. When I checked those tubes and saw they were fine, I replaced them with the ones from my 6G615. No change.

I then surmised the problem lied with the cables - nope, then the pan - nope. I interchanged them with my 6G15, no change. When I put those items in my 6G, my 6G worked fine.

It was too late to raise hell on ebay, so, I reluctantly sent it off to a local tech. He kept it for about 6 months, then said it was the tubes. I gave him $50-$75 bucks for his time and said, adios.

The damn POS went in the garage and I forgot about it until one day I was cleaning out the garage.

Because I was told the extra 7025 gave the 75-78 a better sound, I took it to another tech. he had it for a month and gave up.

Back in the garage for a couple years when a local music shop owner joined my band. He said he had a knowledgeable tech, so I gave it to him. Over a year on his bench and he recommended changing the power caps. Did that, no change.

Back into the garage for another couple of years.

I ran into a friend who I hadn't seen in many years and I remembered he was a electronic wizard.

Two weeks later he called, said the unit plays as designed, which was not for surf. Said it needed major surgery. I gave him the ok, but passed out when he gave me the $298 bill.

Bottom line, if anyone has a 75-78 and you want to use it for surf music, sell it and get a RI, or have the knowledge to do major surgery on it. Otherwise, it will never give you the "drip" which IMO, is essential for surf music.

Just listen to Mikey's sound track and you will see what I am talking about.

Mikey, I wish you the best of luck, really.

And please keep this Thread alive to advise of your progress. If you can get that POS to sound right, you deserve a major "thata boy."

Lots of positive thinking.... you wrenched that '75 Pinto into being a Shelby Cobra, and the reaction is... oh, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Isn't the 6v6 {6k6?} wired differently in that Pinto Reverb? Never heard anybody acknowledge that.

I listened to the sound sample and I think sounds ok. But, the important thing is will it inspire you. That's what any of this equipment needs to be able to do. imo.

Last edited: Jul 05, 2015 20:27:08

SlacktoneDave wrote:

Isn't the 6v6 {6k6?} wired differently in that Pinto Reverb? Never heard anybody acknowledge that.

Yes, it the circuit is a bit different. It is fixed biased in the SF unit and cathode biased in the 6g15. There are lots of differences in the circuits but they are very minor and easily swapped. But you have to understand what the contributions to the sound quality are. The big differences are in the drive levels, the tone shaping and the differences in breakup quality between the 6k6 and 6v6 tubes.

If you don't drive the pan hard you won't get the drip. That was purposely designed out of the SF model.

The cathode basing and bypass capacitor create pre-emphasis eq which is not in the SF. This is a simple one resistor and one cap addition.

The 6k6 is a true pentode and behaves quite differently than the 6v6 once you cross the breakup threshold. The way the SF is designed you will unlikely ever push the 6v6 into breakup. Pretty easy to go backward and drop a 6k6 in place of the 6v6 ( you can't easily go the other way though).

But none of these changes constitutes major surgery compared to changing a Pinto into a Shelby in which you have to swap out about everything except the body ( which you just modify). With the reverbs you simply change the voicings with some simple, cheap component swaps ( plus a tube swap). You don't add any additional stages which would be my definition of major redesign.

_SlacktoneDave wrote:

Lots of positive thinking.... you wrenched that '75 Pinto into being a Shelby Cobra, and the reaction is... oh, that shouldn't be too difficult.
_
I wouldn't say my reaction to SurfBeat's tech's feat of making his 70's unit sound like his 60's one is one that I would is not too difficult. I think its definitely a tough task. All I am saying is that often times, there is more than one way to get the solution to a problem. For me, playing around with the unit, and learning how it works, is all part of the fun. Can I just take out my circuit and build a 6G15 circuit in there and get the result. Yes, it is likely the easiest way to do this, All the most expensive stuff, can be reused and the circuit modified to that of a 6g15. The cost will be that of the caps, resistors and board. Likely and hour or two of work. However, I do not want to just do that at the moment, I may later, but I would like to see what I can do with this unit with some minor tweaks and see what happens. And I know my sound clip isn't the best, but It is a big difference to what the unit was able to produce before any type of change was made.

Last edited: Jul 06, 2015 08:38:12

I thought you said Dick Dale gave that 76 reverb unit to you?

"I think the reason I got the 76 was when Dick Dale was relocating from Riverside to Costa Mesa and he had the damn thing in his trailer. I recall he said it was a boat anchor and when I saw the extra tube I thought it would give more punch than the 60's tanks so he gave it to me."

SurfBeat wrote:

Now that I found my invoice for my 76, I was able to recollect I bought it for $375 on ebay from a dealer in Texas who claimed it sounded bitchin.

Yeah Mr. Stormtiger,, I initially thought I got that POS 75-78 out of DD's trailer in Riverside back in 72-75, but, now I realize that such would be impossible since it was not made then, so, what I got was probably a beat up black Tolex 6G15 or a 61 Tremolux head, that was also a POS.

It was jut too long to remember where it came from, however, after someone challenged me about the amount of bucks I spent to finally get my 76 working like "I" want, my 6G15, I went digging through a bunch of files and found an old invoice from ebay dated in 1999 for the 76.

The shop in Texas said it had great drip. Lesson learned - don't buy anything electrical on Ebay unless you can feel it. That statement needs some modification because I have bought a couple 6G15's that were being sold cheap and nobody bid higher than me. Sometimes, a great deal can be found there. (When I buy, it is only to swap at guitar shows for stuff I want, but don't want to pay the going price.

Talking about DD Mr. Stormtiger, I am heading out to his Ranch on Thursday and taking the 76 to compare with his 6G15. I will post some photos and try to record the sound bites.

IMO, the 76 now sounds way mo betta than my 61 6G15, and the same tech that got the 76 running just went through my 6G, so, it is running top hat.

Mikey, keep the Thread up-dated on your progress. As I told ya, I gave up going the route you are now taking because I uncovered the hared way, absent the major overhaul that I was not up to, the 76 did not give me the sound I wanted.

Take a listen on Youtube to "The Showmen Live at Rhythm Collision II" and you will hear what sound I prefer.

Good luck, Canook,

Did some more playing around, here is the latest sound on the Silverface Reverb Unit.

Setup is Classic 50's Strat into the Reverb Unit into a Tweed Pro Junior.

I am not a 6G15 expert, nor do I have any comparisons except for what I hear on albums and youtube, but here is my latest. Thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/user755211411/reverb-test-2

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015 22:05:27

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next