Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 1976-1978 Silver Face Reverb Unit

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

da-ron wrote:

It's hard to see how CBS could mess up a reverb tank circuit, there's hardly anything in it.

As impossible as it may seem, CBS did a great job screwing up the circuit.

I don't believe CBS did so intentionally, but were marketing the reverb to a different musician, not a surf player.

Brian wrote:

Well they did put an extra tube in it.

Surfbeat, you post this question every couple of years. A silver face reverb unit is a pretty rare thing and I'm guessing not too many people have experience with them. Still, it's a fairly simple device and a good amp tech should be able to tell you what's wrong with it. Good luck!

Yep, been posting the same question for ten years, maybe longer, but noooo more thanks to thee geek techie I found.

WoodyJ wrote:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
What Brian said.

Any good amp tech can fix fix the electronics. Buy a new MOD reverb pan (around $20) and have the tech install it. Problem solved.

And as JObeast said, don't believe everything you read you read on the internet about silverface Fender amps. My unmodified '75 Twin is one of the best-sounding amps I've ever played through in the past half century of playing guitar. The secret is to leave the master volume on 10 and use a pedal for distortion.

Wrong Woody! If it was that EZ, the problem would have been remedied ten years ago.

I have no qualms about SF amps. In fact, IMO they sound bitchin. It 95% about the player, and the amp about 3% and the rest to the guitar.

eddiekatcher wrote:

According to Sprung and Teagle, the main differences between the original (and reissued) reverb units and the 76-78 silver faced ones are:

No choke in the power supply, relying on bigger filter caps to smooth out the DC.
Hum balance circuit for the tube heaters

S&T did not do their homework before they wrote their opinion.

The 76 reverb was targeted to a different player than the pre CBS, just like most of the CBS amps.

Vocals became primary, guitar leads took second place.

We play the surf genre, so, the tone we look for is different than those who playing the English invasion stuff.

Single diode in the power supply replaced the three in series from before

A 6V6 driver tube rather than the original 6K6

An additional 12AX7 at the output stage of the unit to act as a buffer.

The input jack and output jacks have a connecting wire to short the output when no guitar was plugged into the input.

Seems like Spanky Twangler had one of the SF units at one point. I did too in the 80's and it worked fine. Better than any pedal by a long shot.

ed

da-ron wrote:

I would swap the tank and tubes from the 63 and see how it sounds. Then, if it still sounds bad, start thinking about the circuit.

Doo Ronnie, you got what my dad often said is "horse sense."

You hit the nail on the head.

OzReverb wrote:

I nearly bidded on a '76 tank on FleaBay two days ago but decided against it after reading this thread and other posts on the lack of drip and the reason for this. Saved me $$$$

That was a wise move.

Stay away from the 75-78 SF reverb unit unless you have a good comprehension of electronics. If you do, and you can find a 75-78 for no more than $300, then, and only then but it.

By doing so, you can get the 75-78 to sound mo better than the 61, but pay a fraction of the cost.

If you don't know electronics, then get as re-issue for about $400. IMO, (and I have been playing since 61, so I know what surf music is suppsoed to sound like) they are about 98% right on to a 61.

98% of us won't know the difference.

mikey3 wrote:

I have a 76 also, I am quite curious as to what may happen if I just replace the pots. According to the schematic on the '76 the dwell pot is 10k, where on the 6g15 it is 250k. Tone is both 50k and the mixer is 100k on the '76 and 250 on the original 6g15. Any thoughts on just changing those values?

Mikey, in a nutshell, "not a damn thing." To make a 75-78 work like Leo intended, it requires major surgery.

I know that first hand, after spending the $$ to get it to work right.

eddiekatcher wrote:

According to Sprung and Teagle, the main differences between the original (and reissued) reverb units and the 76-78 silver faced ones are:

No choke in the power supply, relying on bigger filter caps to smooth out the DC.
Hum balance circuit for the tube heaters

Single diode in the power supply replaced the three in series from before

Very little difference here. Probably doesn't change tone at all but lowers the hum level.

A 6V6 driver tube rather than the original 6K6

Reasonably big change and the substitution of the 6V6 (much more common tube) is under biased in this circuit. So the breakup characteristics of the driver tube are different.

An additional 12AX7 at the output stage of the unit to act as a buffer.

This is probably a good thing in most cases. It corrects a deficiency in the original design. 6G15's are very touchy to the combination of mix level and the characteristics of the cable you use to plug the output into an amp. The 4th tube fixes that but really only changes tone if it would have otherwise been screwed up.

The input jack and output jacks have a connecting wire to short the output when no guitar was plugged into the input.

**No effect. Besides, who cares what happens if it's not plugged in.

** Now I do see a bunch of other subtile tonal changes in the cap values. Those will make big changes ... maybe good, maybe bad. But all in all I still believe that "drip" is a function of the spring tank. Here's where older 2 spring designs will out perform the modern 3 spring, smoothed over units. I think that's why the Surfy Bear unit is getting such a great reception.

I can't believe this is a $400 mod though. Looks like about $15 in parts plus a new driver tube to me.**

Last edited: Jul 03, 2015 10:05:42

Warning Will Robinson.... Scotch Tape and thumb tacks will not help those later reverb units.... major revamp would be the only hope... and, yes, the spring unit is from where the magic emanates after the electronics are redone. Screen door springs are ok for keeping the flies out.... but, get a real pan for happy life.
~d

SlacktoneDave wrote:

Screen door springs are ok for keeping the flies out.... but, get a real pan for happy life.
~d

Quite possibly the best sage-like advice on the entire internet!

Worship Thanks Dave!

dboomer wrote:

eddiekatcher wrote:

I can't believe this is a $400 mod though. Looks like about $15 in parts plus a new driver tube to me.**

Fast Eddie: You should have seen my face when the techie gave me the invoice. Since you gave me the Pepsi challenge, I took the time to retrieve the invoice reflecting the cost (and hours) to turn my POS SF 76 RU into, IMO, the best sounding RU I ever heard.

From what I learned from this experience, at least ten years, probably longer, after having three techs try to make the 76 RU work in a wurf environment, unless it goes through the exact surgery as mine has gone through, all 75-78's won't work in a surf environment.

The invoice reflects $298.33, and I can assure anyone who owns a 75-78 SF RU, they can replace all the "driver tubes" and pans that they want and what then will end up with is wated money and no change in sound. I guarantee it. I learned the hard way that those two items are not the problem with a 75-78 SF RU.

I've been plucking the surf genre since early 1961, releasing the second surf record after the Marketts Surfers Stomp in 1962, so, although I sure as heck am not even close to being one of the best surf guitar players out there, I do, however, know what the First Wave "surf" tone is supposed to sound like.

Dave W. prefers his Second Wave sound and when Joe K. came out during the Third Wave emulating the tone which is closer to what I grew up with, so, when considering the foregoing, you and I may have a different idea of tone.

Moreover, because I have only owned a 61 Strat, Showman and RU since 61, you can probably understand the reason I exchanged the black Tolex and silver face plate for white Tolex and a brown face plate?

Check out the photos and compare them to my 61 RU.

On that note, you may prefer the tone that comes out of a 75-78 SF RU.

Last edited: Jul 01, 2015 19:42:35

Actually that was my post, not Eddie's. You skipped over the part where I said the biggest changes would happen when you changed all the eq turnover points from the cap values.

Oops, I apologize for the screw-up Boom There may lie the reason it took me over ten years to get the darn 76 RU working like it should. Dumb!!!!!

I skipped over the "cap" values because they did not fit into the equation.

Like you, I initially thought they did, so I changed several, getting rid of the black Illinois caps.

I recall Gerald Weber related in one of his books that one of the reasons SF amps sound like crap was based upon Fender using Chinese made Illinois caps.

So, with about $20 in hand, I followed hi advice to get rid of the Illinois caps and replace them with German made caps, the manufacture I can't recall.

That was a total waste of money.

One good thing that has come out of my Threads about the 75-70 SF RU's is that someone wrote that after reading the Thread he avoided one that he was going to purchase on "FleaBay." I think he meant E-bay?

Last edited: Jul 01, 2015 19:52:03

SlacktoneDave wrote:

Warning ... Scotch Tape and thumb tacks will not help those later reverb units.... major revamp would be the only hope... and, yes, the spring unit is from where the magic emanates after the electronics are redone. Screen door springs are ok for keeping the flies out.... but, get a real pan for happy life.
~d

Very good advice Dave. If you come to Tony's welcome home party, you bring your Super and 64 RU, I will bring my 76 RU and Showman and you will see your advice was right on.

On a side note, I received a call from a promoter who is trying to put together a surf show at the Armory and wants First-Third Wave bands to perform.

Since my Majestics were First Wavers it looks like we are in. I passed on your PN to him, so if you receive a call, that is how he got your number.

I was up in Moreno Valley a few days ago and Sam was telling me you are keeping him as buy a I have been. We did some shows at the River and my Showman began acting up from the 120 degree heat. But it was fun.

SurfBeat wrote:

Oops, I apologize for the screw-up Boom There may lie the reason it took me over ten years to get the darn 76 RU working like it should. Dumb!!!!!

I skipped over the "cap" values because they did not fit into the equation.

Like you, I initially thought they did, so I changed several, getting rid of the black Illinois caps.

I recall Gerald Weber related in one of his books that one of the reasons SF amps sound like crap was based upon Fender using Chinese made Illinois caps.

So, with about $20 in hand, I followed hi advice to get rid of the Illinois caps and replace them with German made caps, the manufacture I can't recall.

That was a total waste of money.

You are still missing the point. Changing the brand of capacitors makes about as much difference as changing the color of the wire. You need to understand what the components actually do in the circuit before you just switch stuff out. Otherwise, as you found out, it just wastes your money.

It's the values of the caps that will make the difference. That is the only significant difference between the models. The newer SF units, as others have stated were designed to be smoother to work well with vocals. So the original cap values (and maybe a resistor value, depending) cut much of the sparkle associated with the 6G15 units. Once you restore that, then other things, like switching the power tube, will make more difference. I'm sure if your invoice was very detailed you would see that was done.

Last edited: Jul 02, 2015 08:42:25

But the silverface reverb unit is not a 6G15 so its not ever going to sound like one. It's a completely different circuit.

By the time the Silverface units came out, surf was a distant memory and the drip was an outdated sound. I imagine it was more of a pain than a pleasure - musicians must have been begging Fender to get rid of it. Which they did, by the sound of it. For CBS to make a circuit more expensive to make, they must have been pretty determined.

If I were you, I would sell this unit to someone who will enjoy it for what it is, because it's bringing no joy to your life at all. Sell it and buy a 6G15 which you will enjoy using. It seems a no brainer to me.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Jul 02, 2015 02:10:18

da-ron wrote:

But the silverface reverb unit is not a 6G15 so its not ever going to sound like one. It's a completely different circuit.

While they do certainly sound different, The change from a blackface to a silver face is about the biggest difference

No, there's more than just a faceplate change. Look at the circuit, there is an extra buffer stage linking the tone and output stages.
http://acruhl.freeshell.org/mga/schematics/amps/70srev.jpg

Plus the reverb tank is driven a different way.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Jul 02, 2015 09:03:48

Please re read my post. I didn't say the faceplate change was the only change. I said it was a bigger change then the changes to the operation of the circuit.

It's true that when you look at the differences in the schematics you will see a number of changes, but when you understand how the circuit performs there is almost no difference from a practical sense.

Let me explain further ... Think about it like a two of the same guitar amps. One amp has the tone controls all set on 7 and the same one with the tone controls all set to 4. While that would make a big change to the sound, you wouldn't call that a change to the circuit. Well these two units have fixed tone controls built-in. Once you set those internal tone controls to be the same you essentially have the same thing.

Adding a buffer makes almost zero difference when you consider simply changing your guitar cable from the output to the amp makes a bigger change without the buffer. If you don't want it it is easily disconnected by moving one wire.

Holy moly: Based upon the comments on this Thread I sure opened a 55 gallon barrel of worms on this subject.

My intent was simply to find someone to give me practical advice that I could use to get my 76 RU to sound like my 61 6G15.

After spending about $500 over ten-twelve years to get the 76 RU to do what I wanted, sound like my 61, the task was finally accomplished.

In fact, the 76 now sounds way better than my 61.

As for caps effect on tone, caps do have a significant impact on tone; not the value, but the manufacturer. That said, like replacing the pan or tubes, neither of the three mentioned, or combining all three will change the tone to the point that the 75-78 will make anyone playing the surf genre appreciate it. As designed, CBS did not market the 75-78 for the surf genre.

The only reason I did not get rid of mine was based on the presumption that the extra tube, as well as change of the design, would give me a better sound. That thought was based upon pure hope which never materialized until modifications were made.

The bottom line is, if anyone reading this Thread is contemplating with the idea of buying a 75-78 Silver face reverb unit to use in a surf genre environment, then unless you can get it for $200 or less, and you have the skill to do some surgery on the unit, go purchase a re-issue for no more than $350. If you don't follow this advise, I guarantee you that you will be sorry. (Just read other Threads here on this subject and you will find, everyone stating that their 75-78 RU do no sound like a 6G15 or RI.

According to Guitar Players 2015 Price Guide, hand-wired 75-78's sell in the range of $500-$600 in excellent condition.

If you pay that much, then you will need about another $100 plus about 6-7 hours of work to make it work in the surf genre.

At that rate, you would be better off buying at 66 for about $750, maybe a tad less, or more.

I have talked to 6-7 musicians who own/owned the 75-78, listened to at least two units and the consensus was that everyone was dissatisfied with the tone.

If anyone out there has a 75-78 silver face reverb unit, and does not want to throw away the investment, but wants to make it work in the surf genre, then contact me.

I think I am now the resident expert on this unit.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next