Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What's On Your Workbench?

Goto Page: Previous 1 215 16 17 18 1931 32 Next

wfoguy wrote:

Wes, great comparison. Smile

One other thing if you go smaller on the speaker. The one WGS offering I can say I've personally heard is that 8" they offer that was purpose-built to be a replacement in a Champ. Pretty nice.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

wfoguy wrote:

This is my plan: a do it all surf amp for home quiet use. I'm going to build an enclosure for a speaker, the surfy bear fet-verb, the surfy bear trem, a PAM8610 amplifier...

Interesting idea, Wfoguy! Smile

I have been experimenting with similar things. I bought several PAM boards from AliExpress. One of these I tried with a 12" speaker it sounds very good. These class-D amps are high frequency devices that sometimes generate interference of all kind. Some class-D ICs require low-pass filter on the output. Check the datasheet!

Another thing you can try is to connect your a 8 ohm speaker to the Rev-output of your SurfyBear board. Its of course just 2-3 Watts but it sounds quite good.

Personally I prefer speakers that are at least 12". Even at bedroom volume it sounds better, more 'push' when playing bass tones. Its of course a matter of taste Smile

bjoish wrote:

wfoguy wrote:

This is my plan: a do it all surf amp for home quiet use. I'm going to build an enclosure for a speaker, the surfy bear fet-verb, the surfy bear trem, a PAM8610 amplifier...

Interesting idea, Wfoguy! Smile

I have been experimenting with similar things. I bought several PAM boards from AliExpress. One of these I tried with a 12" speaker it sounds very good. These class-D amps are high frequency devices that sometimes generate interference of all kind. Some class-D ICs require low-pass filter on the output. Check the datasheet!

Another thing you can try is to connect your a 8 ohm speaker to the Rev-output of your SurfyBear board. Its of course just 2-3 Watts but it sounds quite good.

Personally I prefer speakers that are at least 12". Even at bedroom volume it sounds better, more 'push' when playing bass tones. Its of course a matter of taste Smile

I've just ordered a used discontinued SMSL SA-S3 Tripath TA2021 amp (£20) which might be of interest to Wfoguy. SMSL are getting fantastic reviews for these little desktop amps and they come with a power supply
included. Very cheap and reliable too. Here's a photo of mine with the lid removed.

CrazyAces wrote:

A few prototypes including this Ozark tribute/re-hash

Cheers,
Jeff

Prototype whats????????
Inquiring minds and whatnot.

BTW, Jeff, to the right of the baby "Showman" - really dig that period radio.
I hope to find one of those at a yard-sale sometime. Besides being cool, I bet that baby amp circuit & speaker would fit right into it.
Wink

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 12:46:16

In keeping with the small and light theme, I ordered the WGS 8" speaker. I'm debating about the 8AB3C1B tank. It's 5" shorter than the standard tank used with the fet-verb. I'm drawing out the placement of components to see if the purchase is justified. I'm using dimensions from my Surfy trem to estimate it's placement in relation to the other controls. There's 3 different pam boards listed on ebay so I ordered the other 2 for a comparison on the amount of hum they have. They cost less than $3 with shipping. How can they be so inexpensive??? I found 12v laptop power supplies that have more than 5 amp capacity so I should have plenty of power for the pam board and the 2 Surfy boards. Is there any reason to use any wood thicker than 1/2" for the front and sides of the cab? Just in case anyone was wondering about the size of the pam, I put up a pic.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017 16:11:30

Tqi wrote:

Badger wrote:

BTW, Jeff, to the right of the baby "Showman"

Actually it's a 2x2" Tone Master 'Mini'. I looked it up. ;)

I know; it's just what I call it. Cool

Wes

90's Firebird in the Neck Jig for a fret level and dress. It'll get a new bridge as well. Just in time for my clients set on Mountain Stage this weekend!

(Lefty) #1 grand-daughter gave back the righty to her classmate & picked up this. After cursory eval it was quarantined for 24 hours for a badly needed setup. Just one of the perks. Big Grin

Wes

Last edited: Feb 01, 2017 21:56:25

This project has gone on for too long-from pearl white to Turquoise.

I thought the color was too darn feminine, so, into the garage it went for a while. Then when I wanted to try it out, the nut had to be redone. Then one of the frets had to be replaced. (It is, after all 57 years old)

With the new strings it is way to bright for me, so, maybe it goes back in the garage and won't be making the trip up to Sacramento for a gig next week.

That's a nice chunk of ash! Is it heavy? Who made it?

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Upgrading bridge and pickups on my Jazzmaster 64 CS, Mastery and Lollar's Cool

heepeejeep wrote:

Upgrading bridge and pickups on my Jazzmaster 64 CS, Mastery and Lollar's Cool

Hope it came out sounding at least 1/2 as good as it looks; gorgeous!
Smile

Wes

Badger wrote:

Hope it came out sounding at least 1/2 as good as it looks; gorgeous!
Smile

Thank's! Sounds at least twice as good as it looks Yes . The Lollar's are simply amazing, got them in both my JM's (CS) now. To my ears the difference in tone over the AVRI 62, AV 65 and the custom wounded pickups from CS that came stock on my JM's is huge, I've never owned vintage so I could not compare. They add that extra hi end dimension to an already great sounding instrument. They are up there with the Gomez gear to me, one of the few gears I will never part with, no need, tonequest ended. (Back to practice) Big Grin

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017 17:47:26

Airline baritone, in for a complete electronic overhaul.

Toneschaser wrote:

Eric, I have a Map guitar from Airline, not a baritone and after changing out the electronics it's been a very reliable road guitar for the last ten years.I know RevMike from Urban Surf Kings puts one to good use as well.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

It seems very sturdy and plays really well. New guts and it's ready to wail! Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of your Eastwood models.

Toneschaser wrote:

It seems very sturdy and plays really well. New guts and it's ready to wail! Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of your Eastwood models.

Eric, well if you do or have any questions please feel free to PM me or email for any information you need or suggestions.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Mine has been very reliable as well. I did replace the electronics, put in Lollar p-ups, and replaced the plastic nut with a bone one. It has been my go to for the last couple of months.

Rev

CrazyAces wrote:

Toneschaser wrote:

Eric, I have a Map guitar from Airline, not a baritone and after changing out the electronics it's been a very reliable road guitar for the last ten years.I know RevMike from Urban Surf Kings puts one to good use as well.

Cheers,
Jeff

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Goto Page: Previous 1 215 16 17 18 1931 32 Next