Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What's On Your Workbench?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 531 32 Next

Calling all luthiers! I wasn't sure where to post this. I guess "Gear" is as close as it comes to shop talk, or should this have gone to General Discussion? Anyway show pics or tell us what is brewing in your shop.

East Coast Executive Director Of The Society Of Incompleted Projects

I'm no Luthier but I have been working on this thing for a while

Nice Mr. C,
I think that's pretty fine handiwork. You fashioned the body and neck? It's no kit right?
Slick

on the bench at this time
VI that will cost more than a new squier (but i have beguin to source all the part before they sell them )
a jazzmaster (i like jazzmaster a lot)
and there is a bass for my father that i have to finish
and a Flying V need another coat of varnish
since one year it rotten Big Grin

Great Stuff Ludobag,
I'll post my bench pics later. Keep up the good work.
Slick

Slick wrote:

Nice Mr. C,
I think that's pretty fine handiwork. You fashioned the body and neck? It's no kit right?
Slick
Nope. Made the Templates myself. Thanks for complement. Its my first build. I also built the pickups by hand.

Those other guitars look awesome.

Last edited: Sep 05, 2014 18:12:00

Mr. C,
May I ask where you buy your materials to make your pickups?
Slick

Last edited: Sep 06, 2014 09:15:27

Here's what's currently in my shop......

An old amp out of a Magnavox console stereo/record player. The rectifier tube burned down!....

Here's a Tele body blank I've glued up & thicknessed. It's alder & will be a double bound 60's style build......

Here's a couple of necks in progress. The bound & inlayed neck will be going on a body of my own design. The maple neck is a "second" as I stuffed up a couple fret slots. I am able to save it though & Matt Tha Kat has claimed it!......

And finally, here's an antique leather-top side table that I am re-gluing & sprucing up. I repair & restore antique & fine furniture as my main income source. My wife deals in antiques & we will be selling this when it's done......

Otto & The Ottomans
Kennedy Custom Guitars

Bob,
I am interested to see your progress in the Tele build. Any "surf" guitar builds, past or future?
Slick

This lap steel is ready for a Les Paul Junior bridge, and a Golden Age Vintage Vibe single coil pup.

I can't decide if I should leave the headstock square or round the corners to mimic a surfboard. Any input?

Next in line is to restring and set up this student-model violin/fiddle.

No pics, but current workbench residents are a frame for a vacuum former and a hovercraft.

You DO NOT want to put that bridge on your lapsteel.

1.) Lap steels do not require compensated bridges as you don't fret the instrument.

2.) It has a radius, you will be really unhappy with a radius when you play lapsteel.

Slick wrote:

Bob,
I am interested to see your progress in the Tele build. Any "surf" guitar builds, past or future?
Slick

I may post progress pics from time to time. The last guitar I built that could be considered surf style was a fiesta red strat, which can be seen on my Facebook page. My guitar building has really slowed down as of late due to many other commitments, but I still get out to the shop occasionally. After I take care of some things, I hope to ramp it up again.

Otto & The Ottomans
Kennedy Custom Guitars

JakeDobner wrote:

You DO NOT want to put that bridge on your lapsteel.

1.) Lap steels do not require compensated bridges as you don't fret the instrument.

2.) It has a radius, you will be really unhappy with a radius when you play lapsteel.

No Worries Jake,
I file down the bridge slots so that all of the strings are on the same plane, and I can adjust any intonation problems by slightly tilting the slide to be parallel to the bridge and not the fret, Intonation is not that critical on a lap steel.

Last edited: Sep 07, 2014 20:28:03

a little more on the jazz

a new Schnitzel mallet

my cat
then i try

This looks great!
Would you share your sparkle recipe?

ludobag wrote:

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 531 32 Next