Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
118 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 275 76 77 78 79135 136 Next

@SpaceTimeC
Great!
Looks good Smile

SpaceTimC wrote:

Gilette wrote:

There's no other scenario I can imagine that can explain your problem, apart from reversed polarity of the power supply.

WELL. What I learned is... ya gotta set your multimeter to the proper setting in order to correctly determine polarity. And, yes, once I swapped the wires on the DC jack, I got glorious wet drippy reverb from my fully-functioning Surfy Bear FET Reverb!!!

Picard Face Palm

Easy mistake to make. Could have happened to anyone. (in fact it did, to me. Multiple times) Great build by the way.

Gilette wrote:

SpaceTimC wrote:

Gilette wrote:

There's no other scenario I can imagine that can explain your problem, apart from reversed polarity of the power supply.

WELL. What I learned is... ya gotta set your multimeter to the proper setting in order to correctly determine polarity. And, yes, once I swapped the wires on the DC jack, I got glorious wet drippy reverb from my fully-functioning Surfy Bear FET Reverb!!!

Picard Face Palm

Easy mistake to make. Could have happened to anyone. (in fact it did, to me. Multiple times) Great build by the way.

It's always the little things!

Good looking unit SpaceTimC

When I built the duel reverb quilty bear I had a reversed wire on both circuits. It's an easy mistake to make and easy to remedy!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

If somebody could answer a couple questions I'd be forever grateful. I've got a Surfy Bear Reverb kit on the way and I'm trying to get all the parts together. In my cart, I've got the following....

Accutronics 4AB3C1B
RCA right angle cables 3'
Carling SPST (on/off switch)
Fender style lamp Jewel
Fender style Pilot assembly

I'm getting the 12v bulb from Grainger.

I've never ordered any kind of amp parts before, so I just want to make sure I'm getting the right things the first time. Do I seem to be missing anything?

I'm most likely going to house everything in the metal tool box. Are these reverb tank mounting grommets necessary? Would I need those?

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/grommet-rubber-reverb-tanks

Also, are you guys using rubber feet on the bottom of your tool boxes or do you find it not necessary?

dripdripFL wrote:

If somebody could answer a couple questions I'd be forever grateful. I've got a Surfy Bear Reverb kit on the way and I'm trying to get all the parts together.

For what it's worth, you don't absolutely need the switch and the pilot light. You plug in the 12v adaptor and you (should) have power. The switch and light are cool, though.

As for the reverb pan grommets, I don't use them on mine; it just rests in the toolbox top tray. I don't have rubber feet on the bottom of my toolbox, either. YMMV.

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

SpaceTimC wrote:

dripdripFL wrote:

If somebody could answer a couple questions I'd be forever grateful. I've got a Surfy Bear Reverb kit on the way and I'm trying to get all the parts together.

For what it's worth, you don't absolutely need the switch and the pilot light. You plug in the 12v adaptor and you (should) have power. The switch and light are cool, though.

As for the reverb pan grommets, I don't use them on mine; it just rests in the toolbox top tray. I don't have rubber feet on the bottom of my toolbox, either. YMMV.

Thanks! I'm just doing the light because it looks cool. As for the rubber feet, I just wondered if the tool box would be better off not potentially sliding around. What benefit would the grommets serve?

Last edited: Apr 05, 2017 17:50:56

dripdripFL wrote:

SpaceTimC wrote:

dripdripFL wrote:

Thanks! I'm just doing the light because it looks cool. As for the rubber feet, I just wondered if the tool box would be better off not potentially sliding around. What benefit would the grommets serve?

They can reduce potential coupling of the pan to the box that could cause ringing or other resonances on a loud stage (or if close to speakers). The foam rubber strips you see on top of vintage Fender amps' tanks were used for that reason - it really can help clean up the sound to deaden the pan a bit.

I'm currently assembling my Surfy Bear and Trem parts to construct a two-in-one box and I want it to have a footswitch. Probably the old Fender VIB REV two button type.

I'm just wondering if incorporating relays inside the Surfy unit is worth the effort, rather than sending the guitar single out to the switch and back twice. I might be overly concerned with noise interference but relays are quite appealing to me, in theory. Anyone tried this?

Redfeather wrote:

I'm currently assembling my Surfy Bear and Trem parts to construct a two-in-one box and I want it to have a footswitch. Probably the old Fender VIB REV two button type.

I'm just wondering if incorporating relays inside the Surfy unit is worth the effort, rather than sending the guitar single out to the switch and back twice. I might be overly concerned with noise interference but relays are quite appealing to me, in theory. Anyone tried this?

It isn't worth the trouble. If you use a quality cord it'll be silent as a mouse.

Here is mine.

Last edited: Apr 06, 2017 00:58:41

Okay, the issue is put to bed. Thanks for simplifying my task list! And damn that is a wicked build you have there. Well done. What's the switch under tone?

That switch can bypass the Trem. I figured it would eliminate another source of noise or compression when I didn't need it. The fact is: I keep the trem on all the time. You know when the 'brown' trem is selected, even when you haven't activated it, it colors the tone in a very pleasant way. Not so much on the 'black' setting, I might add. The circuit adds very little if any noise. It is important to keep the leads to the 'brown/black' selector switch as short as possible.

I just bought this to house my Surfy Bear Reverb

$14 on eBay

mike_fried wrote:

dripdripFL wrote:

SpaceTimC wrote:

dripdripFL wrote:

They can reduce potential coupling of the pan to the box that could cause ringing or other resonances on a loud stage (or if close to speakers). The foam rubber strips you see on top of vintage Fender amps' tanks were used for that reason - it really can help clean up the sound to deaden the pan a bit.

Thank you for the explanation.

I have a Surfy Bear Reverb kit on the way and I've tried researching here but I still have a problem wrapping my head around the polarity of the Surfy Bear. My experience with diy has been with negative center pin guitar pedals and positive ground fuzz(which I've only ever wired with batteries-never a DC jack).

If someone could set me straight on the Surfy Bear I'd appreciate it. I see in the manual it says to check the polarity of the power supply with a meter before wiring it up.

So what I've gathered so far and please correct me if I'm wrong...

Most 12v power supplies appear to have a positive center, so if that's the case of your power supply, you wire the DC jack of the SB for positive center tip.

If you found a 12v power supply that was center negative, could you wire the DC jack on the SB center negative then? Or does the SB have to use a center positive tip only by design?

Is the actual Surfy Bear circuit a negative ground or positive ground like a Fuzz Face? I think that's what's confusing me the most.

Last edited: Apr 07, 2017 09:02:47

dripdripFL wrote:

I have a Surfy Bear Reverb kit on the way and I've tried researching here but I still have a problem wrapping my head around the polarity of the Surfy Bear. My experience with diy has been with negative center pin guitar pedals and positive ground fuzz(which I've only ever wired with batteries-never a DC jack).

If someone could set me straight on the Surfy Bear I'd appreciate it. I see in the manual it says to check the polarity of the power supply with a meter before wiring it up.

Most 12v power supplies appear to have a positive center, so if that's the case of your power supply, you wire the DC jack of the SB for positive center tip.

If you found a 12v power supply that was center negative, could you wire the DC jack on the SB center negative then? Or does the SB have to use a center positive tip only by design?

Is the actual Surfy Bear circuit a negative ground or positive ground like a Fuzz Face? I think that's what's confusing me the most.

You did not check on our web site... for SurfyBear the polarity is + in the center. Most 12V power supplies are + center. Make sure if you want by checking the power adapter we resell in the ACCESSORIES page. The Deltaco power supply.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

dripdripFL wrote:

The Surfy reverb has negative ground. Don't bother with the polarity of your power supply because "there is no standard for polarity of the DC connector."

"The easiest way to get the polarity right is to connect the power supply connector to the DC jack and measure the pins on the jack with a volt meter, before connecting the wires to the board."

NB: Quotes are from http://surfybear.weebly.com/fet-reverb.html

warioblast wrote:

dripdripFL wrote:

The Surfy reverb has negative ground. Don't bother with the polarity of your power supply because "there is no standard for polarity of the DC connector."

"The easiest way to get the polarity right is to connect the power supply connector to the DC jack and measure the pins on the jack with a volt meter, before connecting the wires to the board."

NB: Quotes are from http://surfybear.weebly.com/fet-reverb.html

I agree with all you say. But I still suggest you to simply get a regular 12V power supply with positive center. Don't complicate easy things Smile There are no standards of course, but "in general" 12V power supplies are sold this way. While the 9V are negative center. The problem is that doing it wrong you will burn it. So better keep things easy:

• (positive) is in the center.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

I actually did check the website, but I think what was confusing me the most was circuit polarity vs DC jack wiring polarity. I have only wired 1 DC jack before and it was a pedal kit with a wiring diagram, so it didn't tell you WHY to wire the DC jack that way. Just a kind of "paint by numbers" thing. I didn't know what the parts of the DC jack were and why the wires got hooked up the way they did. I also didn't know what to look for when testing the polarity of the jack while hooked up to a power source.

I found a great video explaining how to test polarity with a meter (which I have). I have a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ and I found a Positive Center DC adapter in my house. Also, I found a DC jack in my pedal parts drawer.

So last night I watched the video and tested both power supplies while plugged into the DC jack and now it all makes sense. I think my brain was trying to complicate things more than necessary.

So looking at a DC jack, we have 3 tabs. In order from top to bottom, they are the Sleeve, Connect and the Pin, which is the largest tab and on a center negative pedal, normally your "ground". The Connect tab is not used here since we are not using a battery in the SB.

If one were wiring a guitar pedal for center negative, the black ground wire would get connected to the "Pin" and the red hot wire would get connected to the "Sleeve".

Since the Surfy Bear uses a Positive Center adapter, the ground wire from the board connects to the "Sleeve" of the DC jack in this case and the 12VDC from the board gets connected to the "Pin".

Plugging a Positive Center adapter into the wall and into a DC jack, you place your red probe on the "Pin" and black probe on the "Sleeve" and will see "12V" on your meter. If the meter was showing "-12V", that means you have your probes reversed and hooking up the wires that way is wrong. If you see "12V", you are good to go.

Have I got it crystal clear correct now? My parts from Amplified Nation showed up this morning and I can't wait to get this Surfy Bear up and running! So excited.

Yes, you got it right!
A voltmeter is a very good tool to get the polarity right.

Thanks for posting about this!
We have now improved the info on the FAQ to explain this more in detail.
http://www.surfyindustries.com/faq

Goto Page: Previous 1 275 76 77 78 79135 136 Next