Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2103 104 105 106 107135 136 Next

Yes, I used knobs with set screws. The other issue is that the surfy bear kits come with split shaft pots (again, for use with push-on knobs) and when you tighten a set screw onto knob onto them, it pushes the shaft together creating a conical shape, rather than a cylindrical shape, and that causes an odd rotation as well. I've thought about changing them out with solid shaft pots, but it seems like a lot of work for what is essentially a cosmetic issue. Are there pots with a d shaft?

BasilK wrote:

split shaft pots (again, for use with push-on knobs) and when you tighten a set screw onto knob onto them, it pushes the shaft together creating a conical shape, rather than a cylindrical shape, and that causes an odd rotation as well.

I put something in the split, a small piece of wood, plastic or metal, to prevent the screw from pushing, bending and possible breaking one of the two pieces of the split shaft.

BasilK wrote:

Are there pots with a d shaft?

Yes, they are almost as common as solid or split.

And as you said: it's a cosmetic issue and one that you only notice while turning the knobs, at least with the chicken head knobs.

On my Surfy Trem I have the same 'problem' but since I used round Fender (cup cake) knobs instead of chickenheads, at some positions it might look like I didn't drill the holes for the pots on a nice straight line.
I guess that's mostly your issue?

Last edited: Aug 07, 2018 12:28:22

I normally use a piece of tiewrap to fill the gap of split shaft pots. Just cut it off at the desired length and squeeze it in. Works just fine.

If it's indeed pots and knobs - heat shrink wrap tubes, works for me.
If it's inaccurate drilling, maybe some big washers.

SpankyPants, great enclosure idea! Keep posting.

Last edited: Aug 07, 2018 14:43:26

Thanks for the suggestions! I really think is mainly a shaft issue...

__spanky pants wrote:
Most safety deposit boxes are ~21" long, with all kinds of variance in the other dimensions.

Here are the ones I ordered.

There should be plenty of room for all the components while still remaining somewhat stomp-friendly if I choose that format._

_I checked the measurements of my toolbox build and you should be aware that the box you bought claims to be 4 1/2" wide. The accutronics tank will fit, but you will probably need to use right angle/low profile rca cables to hook it up, otherwise, they won't fit. Or I guess you could hard wire it...

For putting set screw knobs on split shaft pots, you can get brass sleeves made just for that purpose. They're pretty cheap. Here's an example:

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/misc-hardware/brass-pot-adapter-sleeves-5-pack/

That's a good point! Both are good options. I've got the original 90° RCA's on it now, but I'll probably order some better shielded cables when I put her together.

BasilK wrote:

_I checked the measurements of my toolbox build and you should be aware that the box you bought claims to be 4 1/2" wide. The accutronics tank will fit, but you will probably need to use right angle/low profile rca cables to hook it up, otherwise, they won't fit. Or I guess you could hard wire it...

edwardsand wrote:

For putting set screw knobs on split shaft pots, you can get brass sleeves made just for that purpose. They're pretty cheap. Here's an example:

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/misc-hardware/brass-pot-adapter-sleeves-5-pack/

So I got a set of these from this website, and it helped quite a bit. I wish I'd known about these from the beginning, because all my pot shafts are kind of bend out of shape and wobbly, but these really helped straighten them up as much as possible an reinforce the split shaft. I think they'll add durability to the pot. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on this issue.

BasilK wrote:

So I got a set of these from this website, and it helped quite a bit. I wish I'd known about these from the beginning, because all my pot shafts are kind of bend out of shape and wobbly, but these really helped straighten them up as much as possible an reinforce the split shaft. I think they'll add durability to the pot. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on this issue.

I'm glad you found them helpful. I'm kind of surprised that they hadn't been mentioned before in this or other related threads. But come to think of it, it was quite a few years before I found out about them and how handy they are.

They're also available in a lot of other places - Allparts makes some, and you can get them from Darren Riley, Reverb, and ebay as well as the place I linked first.

SpaceTimC wrote:

DerJuicen wrote:

My buddy Bill aka remora1 picked this kit up for me last year at the so cal convention, and I finally got it built and Incorporated into my board!

I'm considering a similar configuration for a future build. I am curious - do you get a spring pan crash when you step on any of the other pedals?

So I finally got to pick up my guitar a bit the other day and test things a little more. With the Surfy Bear on and switching any of the analog pedals will cause a VERY slight spring pop, except for the tube screamer mini, it is a much more noticeable pop. But really, still not that bad. No noise issues when switching the digital pedals. And no physical crash happening from regular use.
If I really want a crash I can pick up the board with my toe and drop it, that gets a good crash!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 14:02:33

Very frustrated...several days building and double checking. All the wires shielded and properly connected. Power polarity correct. Ins and outs in the right jacks. All I get is HUM. Loud, obnoxious HUMMMMMMM....nothing but HUM. Tired...must drink more whiskey to diminish ever increasing desire to smash all to bits. When I was aboard my sailing vessel such things were simply thrown overboard into the infinite, endless depths of the sea. I know, I know...it must be me. Human error but I cannot see it.

Gravitational_wave_rider wrote:

Very frustrated...several days building and double checking. All the wires shielded and properly connected. Power polarity correct. Ins and outs in the right jacks. All I get is HUM. Loud, obnoxious HUMMMMMMM....nothing but HUM. Tired...must drink more whiskey to diminish ever increasing desire to smash all to bits. When I was aboard my sailing vessel such things were simply thrown overboard into the infinite, endless depths of the sea. I know, I know...it must be me. Human error but I cannot see it.

Try another power supply. It's often the power adapter. If you have any battery with 12V, try this. If the humm is gone it's the power adapter.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 00:36:57

All I get is HUM. Loud, obnoxious HUMMMMMMM....nothing but HUM.

No dry signal or any reverb at all? Because in that case another power supply isn't going to help and we need to check other things.

I had some bad problems with hum when first putting it all together, and it ended up being loose connections with line in/out or reverb in/out - more things worth double checking to make sure the wiring is right.

Elrondo wrote:

Try another power supply. It's often the power adapter. If you have any battery with 12V, try this. If the humm is gone it's the power adapter.

Thanks...My power supply was giving me 15.4 volts instead of 12v so I added a dc to dc buck converter and knocked it down to 12 still got the hum. I'll keep looking...I have to be missing something.

edwardsand wrote:

I had some bad problems with hum when first putting it all together, and it ended up being loose connections with line in/out or reverb in/out - more things worth double checking to make sure the wiring is right.

Thanks...I will go back through it and check everything, again. I must have missed something.

j_flanders wrote:

No dry signal or any reverb at all? Because in that case another power supply isn't going to help and we need to check other things.

Thanks...I'll go back through it and check everything. I must be missing something. There is definitely no reverb or signal at all.

Thanks...My power supply was giving me 15.4 volts instead of 12v so I added a dc to dc buck converter and knocked it down to 12 still got the hum. I'll keep looking...I have to be missing something.

If the power supply says 12V but you measure 15,4 volts with a digital multimeter that means it is an unregulated power supply.
That power supply was 'designed' for a specific device and should only be used with that device. That device will draw a certain amount of current which will make the supplied voltage drop to 12 volts.

Your multimeter does not draw enough current so it shows 15,4 volts.
Another device (Surfy Bear for example) might also not draw enough current and you'll supply too much volts or it might draw too much current and then you'll get less than 12 volts.

That converter is not going to help and might make it even worse.

Use a regulated power supply, one that always supplies 12 volts, regardless of the current drawn. Make sure it can withstand the current drawn by Surfy Bear, which is 1Ampere (probably less, but beter to be too high than too low)

So: buy/find a REGULATED 12V, 1A DC power supply.

https://www.apgsensors.com/about-us/blog/whats-the-difference-between-regulated-and-unregulated-power-supplies

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 03:19:14

j_flanders wrote:

Thanks...I'll go back through it and check everything. I must be missing something. There is definitely no reverb or signal at all.

If you take some pictures of the pcb and the connectors we can have a look to see if we can solve this.

j_flanders wrote:

If the power supply says 12V but you measure 15,4 volts with a digital multimeter that means it is an unregulated power supply.
That power supply was 'designed' for a specific device and should only be used with that device. That device will draw a certain amount of current which will make the supplied voltage drop to 12 volts.

Your multimeter does not draw enough current so it shows 15,4 volts.
Another device (Surfy Bear for example) might also not draw enough current and you'll supply too much volts or it might draw too much current and then you'll get less than 12 volts.

That converter is not going to help and might make it even worse.

Use a regulated power supply, one that always supplies 12 volts, regardless of the current drawn. Make sure it can withstand the current drawn by Surfy Bear, which is 1Ampere (probably less, but beter to be too high than too low)

So: buy/find a REGULATED 12V, 1A DC power supply.

https://www.apgsensors.com/about-us/blog/whats-the-difference-between-regulated-and-unregulated-power-supplies

Thanks.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2103 104 105 106 107135 136 Next