Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Monthly Atlanta surf show: Southern Surf Stomp!

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18 Next

I will be there, looking forward to it!

Even with a last minute substitution (The Fugitives) and cancellation (Rad-isaurus Rex) we managed to have one fantastic show. Nicole of The Wave Slaves sat in on drums with The Fugitives, which were the best I've ever seen them. They seemed relaxed and to be having the greatest time on stage together. Then Liz Brasher and her band took the stage and I don't think there was a member in the crowd that wasn't absolutely captivated. As soon as she started I ran up to Dave (Fugitives) and Nicole (Wave Slaves) to show them my goosebumps.

I also can't thank Terry (NeedsMoreReverb) enough for not only coming to the Stomp, but the Star Bar the night before to see the Compartmentalizationalists.

For March's show we have Forbidden Waves returning by way of Athens, Georgia with a brand new album. They'll be joined by regulars Gemini 13 and newcomers The 19 Hands, with their brand of snotty garage-punk.

Here's the Facebook event page.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

10-4 Chad, I second all that. It was indeed a great night at Kavarna. I almost flipped when I walked in and there was Terry! He ought to get some kind of "fan most traveled" award.

He is one great guy and such a dedicated fan.

Dave of the Fugitives sure makes it look easy and I for one, sure know that it isn't.

You are right about Liz and crew. They may well be the tightest group I've heard in a long time. She can sure sing, plays a mean guitar, and apparently writes all their material, even the three really exceptional instrumentals they played.

The March show is going to rock for sure.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Here's video from the last THREE Stomps, hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Thanks to Jamie for documenting these events, helping to further preserve the memories of our little sliver of Atlanta's rich musical history.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017 18:00:47

Great to see everyone, quite flattered by the comments, just fortunate that I get to travel from time to time. It was a great show, The Fugutives sounded great and Liz Brasher and her band were simply amazing.

I mentioned to people there that I heard the Mermen on a local radio station, thought it a fluke but they followed with The Penetrators. Cool.

It is with deep regrets that I inform you I will no longer be hosting monthly Southern Surf Stomps. It has been an incredible three years(!) and an honor and privilege to work with so many wonderful and talented people. I've made some lifelong friends in the process from all over the country and found a new home at Kavarna. I'm incredibly proud of all the things we've accomplished; hosting 50 surf and instrumental groups in 4 cities across 3 states, with two acts whose members have been nominated for Grammys!

With all of that said, we are far from done. We will still be doing shows such as April 21st's with Jeffrey Butzer's The Compartmentalizationalists, Genki Genki Panic, In Snow, and Nikki Speake. If your group would like to perform, please don't hesitate to contact me as we will still be holding shows at Kavarna and elsewhere.

Here's the Facebook event page.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Chad, It is with deepest gratitude (and a tear in my eye) that I want to thank you for the monthly surf stomps and all you have done to promote the instrumental surf scene in the Southeast in general and Atlanta in particular.

I will miss the monthly shows, but I will keep an eye out for all the new shows that you will be bringing our way. Best of luck in all your new endeavors and you can count on me to come out and support you as often as I can.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Florida's kings of the high sleaze, The Delusionaires, will be once again be taking over Kavarna for a night of drunken debauchery and tomfoolery. They'll be joined by the raucous El Capitan & the Reluctant Sadists and newcomer Kitty Rose, performing some classic style rockabilly.

Find the Facebook event page here.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Very excited to hold down the low notes at Kavarna once again with El Cap! This is gonna be a fun one! The Delusionaires are always an.... adventure! haha.

Chad...that is a newer style and wilder poster than many of the previous. Noir?

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Thanks Don, this years theme has been courtesy of the Soviet film posters by the Stenberg Brothers. I was looking for something a little different and am crazy about their designs.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

We didn't want to compete with the Woggles show upstairs so we went with the old adage, if you can't beat them, join them. So we're trying something a little different, an early show in the Little Vinyl Lounge (located beneath the Star Bar) where we'll be grilling some dogs and stuff on the patio.

Facebook event page

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017 18:01:27

Our last show of the year! We've got Atlanta rockers The Indicators (featuring one of my favorite guitarists in town, Michael Goldman) reuniting for one night only, San Antonio's psych surfers Nuclear Juarez, Spaghetti Western inspired solo guitar from my main man Jeffrey Bützer, and special guest DJ Brian Parrish, host of "The Casbah" radio show on KSYM and drummer for Nuclear Juarez.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: Oct 04, 2017 08:09:15

Sounds like another fantastic show.

Chad - you and your efforts are a gift to music lovers everywhere but specifically here in the south.
Respect!

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

...and we're back with a most fabulous first show of the year featuring Eddie Angel (Los Straitjackets, Neanderthals, Eddie Angel's Guitar Party, and countless others) backed by members of The Penetrators and The Mystery Men?, along with Atlanta surf mainstays The Surge!, and roots/rockabilly act Caroline & the Ramblers.

Get your tickets HERE.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Awesome!
So glad the Stomp is back.
A true gift and labor of love to all of us in the south.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Excellent News! Eddie Angel, a super line up, and a super cool Stomp poster to kick the year off!

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

Needless to say, The Surge! is pretty stoked about opening for Eddie Angel and as always, Caroline and the Ramblers.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

A month has past since the April 14 show and somebody needs to say it, that was a great show! Thank you, Chad, for all you do to bring great surf music to Atlanta and the Southeast! And the Kavarna coffeehouse for hosting the stomp.

Here are some videos to document the event. I always enjoy The Surge! and they were in great form, as usual. I was really looking forward to seeing Eddie Angel and he did not disappoint. It was especially a kick to see Eddie backed by SG101 regular Richard, playing his Jeff Senn Model One, and Sticks and Trace from the The Penetrators. That is one solid rhythm section.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

Thanks Tim, it really was a fabulous show and I have to say that Richard, Sticks, and Trace knocked it right out of the park!

Speaking of fabulous, we're still ironing out details for June but check out what we got going on in July -
The Crimson Ghosts (MA) offer up instrumental surf covers of Misfits tunes, ELZIG is "the demon Elvis" straight from the strip of HellVegas, just south of Memphis, and across the Georgia state line, and performing aggressive spaghetti-surf is Atlanta's own El Capitan & the Reluctant Sadists.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: May 16, 2018 12:51:01

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18 Next