Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Monthly Atlanta surf show: Southern Surf Stomp!

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18 Next

Despite MC not being able to make it on Saturday we ended up having an incredible show! Genki Genki Panic, Biggie Rats, and Jeffrey Butzer (not to mention DJ Elliott Dangar) were all on fire and the crowd was digging it hard. Jeffrey wowed us with his looped guitar/bells/melodica/percussion playing some Spaghetti Western soundtrack type instrumentals. GGP continues to up the ante each performance and is definitely a band to watch. They've recently added an auxiliary percussionist/keyboard player and are loud and dangerous. After the show, Sticks, Trace, and I went to Waffle House which was a real treat.

What's coming up next you ask?

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

I've been WAY too far behind on videos, please accept my apologies. Thanks as always to my best good friend Jamie for all of his hard work putting these things together.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Getting back to it after a fantastic festival.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Saturday's Stomp sure was an unexpected kick in the head (in a good way of course). Forbidden Waves was even better than when I saw them in Athens just a few weeks ago. They were super energetic, dynamic, and seemed happy to be playing Atlanta for an enthusiastic crowd. I've seen the Wheel Knockers several times now and they were better than ever and even treated us to some newer material. Zarinah and the Zaratans, WOW! They seemed to come out of nowhere and proceeded to floor everyone. They played a little of everything from surf instrumentals, to 60's R'n'B classics (They did a KILLER version of "Be My Baby" that had me dancing behind the sound board), a 1930's Latin number, even ending their set with the psychedelic/progressive "Green Eyed Lady". By the end of the night the whole place was dancing, bouncing around, and smiling.

Up next...

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016 11:07:38

I'm REALLY looking forward to playing some loud surf music with my friends this weekend. The Mystery Men? are on first at 9pm sharp, followed by The Flying Faders at 10, and then Subatomics at 11.

In the meantime, here's video from the last couple of Stomps. We're playing around with the format a little bit so let us know what you think.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last night was amazing. Thanks for all who came out and made it a successful evening. Special thanks to The Flying Faders for coming all the way down from Baltimore to melt faces and show us how it's done. They're truly a special band. Also to Subatomics who put on one heck of a first show! Last but not least my brothers in The Mystery Men?, I'm so proud of everything we've accomplished together and last night was no exception. Like I've stated many times, there's nothing better than making music with your friends.

Up next...
It's the most wonderful time of the year! Speaking of making music with your friends this is the season where some of my best friends and family get together and work our rear ends off to bring you two of THE greatest holiday albums of all time in their entirety. But wait...there's more! We've added a whole other set featuring holiday classics from Buck Owens, Tchaikovsky, Ramones, and so much more.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

ChadShivers wrote:

We've added a whole other set featuring holiday classics from Buck Owens, Tchaikovsky, Ramones, and so much more.

This sounds awesome. Wish I didn't live like four states away!

Sean

Up next...
We're kicking off the new year with three new groups to the Stomp! Montgomery, Alabama's The Buckrabbits are an instrumental surf punk trio heavily influenced by the likes of Link Wray and the Ramones. You may have caught them at the Clarkston Surf Fest almost ten years ago(!) in 2008. Making their debut, Racket Squad features members of The Surge! and I'm told will perform instrumentals which predate the surf genre, where tape delay was used in lieu of spring reverb as it had not yet been invented. Maestro Eddie Katcher takes the helm so in my eyes the group can do no wrong and we're sure to be treated to another master class. Two Sisters will provide the 'turf' portion of the evening with female fronted pop music in the vein of Neko Case and Camera Obscura.

Here's the Facebook event page.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

ChadShivers wrote:

members of The Surge! ...instrumentals which predate the surf genre... tape delay ...Maestro Eddie Katcher takes the helm so in my eyes the group can do no wrong and we're sure to be treated to another master class.
Cheers

Pics & sound or it didn't happen! Seriously, this sounds like (yet another) be there or be square opportunity. What a wonderful thriving thing that has been created here.
Thumbs Up

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I might be in Atlanta the week of February 13th, will there be a show the weekend before or after?

I might be in Atlanta the week of February 13th, will there be a show the weekend before or after?

Excellent news! February's Stomp will be on the 11th with The Mermers (Gainesville, FL), The Wave Slaves (Savannah, GA), and Liz Brasher and if you can make it the night before I'll be playing bass with The Compartmentalizationalists at the Star Bar on the 10th.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

The first Southern Surf Stomp! of 2017 is just one day away!!!

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

The January 14 Southern Surf Stomp at Karvana has kept me smiling all day. I shared a table with Bill Raser, the host of the weekly The Long Boards Show on WREK the radio station at Georgia Tech. It's all surf and rockabilly. Bill is super cool and told some great stories. He grew up in LA in the early sixties and experienced the first wave of surf up close. Check out his show at www.wrek.org/longboards.

The Buckrabbits from Alabama provided some excellent punk-surf, very aggressive and as they described it themselves, “not for the faint of heart”, but I still found it very musical and enjoyable until my ears started to bleed (just kidding). The opening vocal act, 2 Sister, gave a good performance, and I applaud Chad for providing a variety of groups at the Stomp.

For me, the highlight of the night was The Racket Squad. This is SG101's own Eddie Katcher and The Surge! giving themselves the freedom to stretch out into early 60's non-surf, proto-surf, and some pure surf, instrumentals. I give Eddie and the band a lot of credit for how professional they are. To keep The Racket Squad distinct from The Surge!, a distinctly different look was adopted. Gone were the khaki pants with burgundy shirts and the blond amps, for this show the back line was all blackface amps with silver grillcloth, a uniform of white shirts and black pants, and, hold on to your hats, Eddie took the stage with a black '68 Gibson Custom Les Paul. The set list was all classics, and the band sounded great. Here's a video to prove it.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Sounds like a GREAT time. Go Surge! Racket Squad. Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

It really was a great show. I told Eddie K on the way out that I hope that The Racket Squad will continue. There is no other band in this part of the country that does what they do. Great, melodic songs that are rarely heard live anymore, expertly played by musicians that know their stuff.

A vintage Les Paul into an Eddie K tweaked blackface Bandmaster with JBL's is an epic combination, especially in the Master's hands. Some of the very best guitar tone I've ever heard, anywhere.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Here is some Buckrabbit action. Not for the faint of heart, but the more I've watched my clips of them, the more I appreciate them. It helps that I can control the volume.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

The Racket Squad!
I would have loved to see Ed bust out his old Les Paul and mix things up some.
I bet that was an awesome Surf Stomp

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

I was really bummed to miss this one, but had family commitments. Eddie had been dropping hints that this was in the works, and the video sounds like it didn't disappoint at all. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll get another gig I can actually make it to.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I sure hope Eddie and the Racket Squad get some more gigs. I wouldn't mind it if they did a whole set of straight-up surf covers. In fact, I think that would be great, whether it was as the Surge! or the Squad.

Here's Eddie and the gang performing a couple more tunes that scratch that surf set itch, "Secret Agent Man" and "Apache". I think they knock it out of the park. Eddie plays that black Gibson like a boss!

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

Thanks for the write-up and videos, Tim!

Here's what we got cooked up for y'all in February:
We're changing it up this go around with just one instro/surf group, The Fugitives (featuring Nicole of The Wave Slaves), and two surf-leaning turf groups. Liz Brasher is an artist which deserves your attention. Now normally singer-songwriter is a term that turns me right off but Liz is different, channeling 60's RnB fused with guitar awash in reverb and backed by a phenomenal combo. The Fugitives are back with guest drummer Nicole Edge of The Wave Slaves. The trio will be doing mostly standards in their aggressive style with David Northrip's looks-like-video-tape-sped-up guitar playing. Rounding out the bill are surfy, garage punkers Rad-isaurus Rex who did a show for us at the Star Bar a while back and are just a ton of fun.

Here's the Facebook event page.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: Feb 08, 2017 22:12:27

Goto Page: Previous 1 214 15 16 17 18 Next