Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Catalinbread Topanga Spring Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 813 14 Next

Mine should be coming in today. I don't have any practices coming up unfortunately but I'll put my two cents when I get the chance. I plan on putting it through everything I can that's loud and not as loud.

Get wet and loud wit... Abomionable Showmen FB Showmen Twitter

Does anyone have a Hardwire Supernatural they can compare this with?

crmartin wrote:

Does anyone have a Hardwire Supernatural they can compare this with?

I had a Supernatural not too long ago. I returned it. I was actually doing a personal shootout between reverb pedals. This was before the Topanga was released. Ultimately, my thoughts on the Supernatural Spring mode was that it sounded pretty good, but the tail/decay was much too long. And there was really no way to dial it back. The Decay knob barely sounded any different on 0 than it did at 10. Since the tail is usually the place where digital reverbs reveal their "digital-ness", this was a definite weak point. During my shootout, I liked the Hardwire RV-7 better than Suoernatural, because the tail length and overall nature of the spring was more realistic. The RV-7 ended up winning my shootout, which also included the Boss FRV-1, Subdecay Spring Theory, & Hall of Fame.

When Topanga was released I order one out of curiosity, though I was relatively content with my RV-7. The Topanga was just better all around. And fortunately the RV-7 was still in the return window, so that too went back.

Essentially, I felt the Supernatural was an exaggerated version of the RV-7. Topanga is just superior to both to my ears. I'm blown away at what a good job they did with this pedal.

Skiltrip, Thanks for the tip on modulation mode, really cool. But it's a shame you have to disconnect power to turn it on and off. Got to play it at full volume Friday. Wife at work, Kids at school. FRV-1 held it's own a little better cranked, but the Topanga sounds much fuller. It also didn't make my ears bleed playing Miserlou on the high E Big Grin

Oh yeah, What does it do at 18v? And has anyone tried it yet?

Just got it! It's awesome.
Further tests are being prepared: Buffered, 18V, with OD, ABY with FRV-1...
Generally it's soft, warm, and versatile. No crazy Astronauts\Dick Dale drip, more like Fathoms, which is good. It does feel organic enough, to make those "lion screams", which the FRV-1 failed at. Very responsive to playing dynamics. More reporting later, I'm having fun. Big Grin

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014 10:26:59

Oh God. Just when I put the matter to rest on the FRV-1 thread I had to read this one. I combed every CL ad within 150 miles and no tanks so.....

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

stratdancer wrote:

Oh God. Just when I put the matter to rest on the FRV-1 thread I had to read this one. I combed every CL ad within 150 miles and no tanks so.....

I can tell you straight up: If you have the cash for a real tank, then keep looking. This pedal is very nice, but is no replacement.

Surf_Skater wrote:

I've been running it at 18v. I wasn't sure what I was hearing, as it's pretty subtle. Catalinbread told me it should create a little more separation between wet and dry, and a little more headroom when using the Volume knob. Again, I think it's pretty subtle, and more or less a taste thing. In short, if you only have a 9v power supply, don't think you need to run out immediately and grab an 18 volter. But if you like to experiment, you might find you like it better at 18v. By the way, I'm using the Dunlop 18v power supply they sell at Pro Guitar Shop for about $17.

DreadInBabylon wrote:

stratdancer wrote:

I can tell you straight up: If you have the cash for a real tank, then keep looking. This pedal is very nice, but is no replacement.

Thanks! False hope.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Skiltrip wrote:

Surf_Skater wrote:

I've been running it at 18v. I wasn't sure what I was hearing, as it's pretty subtle. Catalinbread told me it should create a little more separation between wet and dry, and a little more headroom when using the Volume knob. Again, I think it's pretty subtle, and more or less a taste thing. In short, if you only have a 9v power supply, don't think you need to run out immediately and grab an 18 volter. But if you like to experiment, you might find you like it better at 18v. By the way, I'm using the Dunlop 18v power supply they sell at Pro Guitar Shop for about $17.

Thanks, A friend of mine says he has a bag full of wall warts and is going to see if he has an 18v one to try it out.

Surf_Skater wrote:

Skiltrip wrote:

Surf_Skater wrote:

Thanks, A friend of mine says he has a bag full of wall warts and is going to see if he has an 18v one to try it out.

Cool. When I first tried it I thought I heard more boldness or clarity. Vague words, but appropriate, because I really wasn't positive what I heard. It's hard to A/B without a direct switchover. Meaning, the time to stop unplug the unit, replugging it, and play again, your ears might have a hard time contrasting the differences.

That's when I asked Catalinbread what I should be expecting to hear. What I wrote in the last post is what they said. I'm continuing to run at 18v just for the hell of it. I THINK it sounds a little "better" but I can't articulate why exactly. In any case it's never a bad idea to have a power hungry digital pedal on its own power line anyway, so why not?

This thread treats of the same topic I asked of on another, ie what does overpowering do to delay circuits and when is it safe to use it? My Maxon AD900 didn't like the 20% over voltage I gave it with a crummy wallwart but the Dunlop might be the ticket. Anyone explain this to me?

Squink Out!

DreadInBabylon wrote:

stratdancer wrote:

Is there anyone who believes that a pedal can replace a tank?
How can a small circuit stompbox replace a tube driven tank with real springs?
Personally I search for a pedal that is as close as it gets to the tank. Cause the tank costs a lot of money, it is difficult to carry and it needs care. Obviously as time passes by there will be better and better simulations of that tank sound. However this may happen slow cause I do not think most of the ppl are looking for a tank sound, they look for other reverb sounds.

Surf Rock from the Northern Greece seas
http://meanwhileinmexico.gr/

Melvin_Udall wrote:

Personally I search for a pedal that is as close as it gets to the tank. Cause the tank costs a lot of money, it is difficult to carry and it needs care. Obviously as time passes by there will be better and better simulations of that tank sound. However this may happen slow cause I do not think most of the ppl are looking for a tank sound, they look for other reverb sounds.

We could have this same conversation over will solid state replace tube amps. I think that the pedals are getting closer than in the past. But I think they'll never replace a tank. I think they are great for hobbyists and part time surf guitarists. But if you are recording or gigging it comes up short. On the other hand though, in another thread someone stated that the majority of your audience will never know the difference.

Melvin_Udall wrote:

DreadInBabylon wrote:

stratdancer wrote:

True that, as close as we can get. That's why I bought one, and also keep my FRV-1. Gonna play them parallel. Until I build a tank...

Now with the Topanga out, which really is a GREAT pedal, we might have to wait a lot longer for a better simulation. I use VST's, but that's another dragon...

I just think it's easy to lose sight of what's "real" reverb and what is a simulation/emulation. Spring reverb was created to simulate an actual live space or reverb chamber. Spring reverb just fortunately happened to introduce a lot of artifacts and sonic quirks that people liked instead of rejected.

I believe it started with the Hammond Organ company. People were buying organs for their homes, but discovered a big part of the sound missing when there was no natural reverberation. So the first springs were added to simulate it. It was fake reverb in all actuality. It just happened to end up sounding really cool.

It's easy to dismiss anything after what's thought of as a current standard as being "less than". Yes, they are different (digital algorithm vs spring tanks vs real reverb chamber or hall), but I think it's totally feasible to embrace what a digital pedal can do and celebrate it's tone for what it is, and the unique things it brings to the table. Perhaps someday in the faraway future, people will be trying to recreate the mojo that early digital reverb pioneers captured in their chips/algorithms. Who knows?

Just a note, this is coming from someone who adores vintage gear, vintage sound, vintage instruments. I turn my nose up at a lot of new things, but I recognize that time marches on, and sometimes new technology really can hold it's own.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014 10:36:52

i got to A/B the topanga and FRV-1 at practice yesterday and im still on the fence

the topanga doesn't have the ice pick high ringing problem but the drips don't cut through the mix all that great

http://dinosaurghost.bandcamp.com/
http://sixtycyclehum.podbean.com

Okay, after having a good couple of days with Topanga in a low volume setting and just getting done with a rather loud practice, my assessment is this.

The Topanga is worth having as a backup to your outboard unit.

It's a decent reverb in a low volume setting. It made my Jet City 20H amp surf convincingly. It may not have had a lot of the drip, but it's there and it does work as a great boost with the decay/Mix knobs turned down.

In the loud band situation? The pedal likes to be loud. Where I can see someone who likes it very loud and drippy would think the pedal fails. But if you like a decent amount of grit to your tone (And I do.) This pedal can convincingly surf.

My Weber outboard unit is fairly noisey but sounds fantastic. Topanga can do about 90% of what my Weber Kit can do without the noise. Which honestly is pretty damn good.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that reverb pedals are kind of like the sex doll and the old 6g15's are a "real woman."

Consider this the pocket pussy. It's small, discreet, gets the same job done and to me.....less noise than the real thing. (You married guys know what I mean.

Will it replace the real thing? No. But convincing none the less.

9/10

Get wet and loud wit... Abomionable Showmen FB Showmen Twitter

gave the Topanga some love with this getup (all single coils, hot hi-los)blonde bassman,etc
and while I really think this as a pedal does a better job than most, it seems more blackface-ish, in a combo sounding than an outboard. The predelay is nice and lets you get a sense of pick attack response...but it kept clipping when hit with my preamp and/or my TIM pedal that I use as a dirty boost. This was when it was at the end of my signal chain, I just moved it up to the front of the pedal board so I will test that and try giving it 12v of power to maybe improve the headroom.

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nocturne-Brain-Preamp-Zombies/240721872969

Last edited: Apr 07, 2014 23:45:16

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 813 14 Next