Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink LOST HEROES FROM THE DAWN OF SURF!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next

I think you are correct, Ivan.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Here's another version of HARLEM NOCTURNE. This time played on guitar very hauntingly by The Star-Tones. First heard this years ago on one of the SURFER'S MOODS comps, a great series of surf comps that everyone should own if you don't have them!

Oh yes! This a sooooo cool version!
Thanks for reminding this.
I have got the 4 Surfer`s moods compilations. Yes, they are fantastic.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

Oh yes! This a sooooo cool version!

+1 that was awesome, shivers thanks for putting that up.
Was there perhaps some tape echo on that also, or maybe just the recording method at the time?

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

You're welcome, fellas!

Here's a surf "studio group" LP that's a big fave. From 1964, The Good Guys/ Challengers doing Collision Course! Thee man himself PJ, Paul Johnson told me he played the Fuzz on this one! It blew my mind! Enjoy some fuzz from '64...

shivers13 wrote:

Here's a surf "studio group" LP that's a big fave. From 1964, The Good Guys/ Challengers doing Collision Course! Thee man himself PJ, Paul Johnson told me he played the Fuzz on this one! It blew my mind! Enjoy some fuzz from '64...

Gotta love some classic Fuzzy Surf.

Indeed! Here's a hot rod surf tune from '64 featuring a killer fuzz guitar lead at the 1 min mark. Another studio group featuring the wrecking crew headed by Steve "Shutdown" Douglas. Some like to dismiss these studio musician recordings but I dig 'em bigtime! Enjoy!

THE ORIGINAL SURFARIS! They might be in here already but what the heck!! Bombora! Surfari!! and Exotic!!! Some of my all-time favorite stuff.

Last edited: Oct 09, 2014 21:49:26

That Larry Weed sure could play. A real "lost" guitar player who doesn't get his rightful due.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Indeed! Here's a rare live track that shows how great they were live too..

Last edited: Oct 09, 2014 22:01:04

I love that live track! I can hear just how bad-ass the guitar really sounded live.

Even the sax is cool! Big Grin

I think this was recorded at the Disneyland hotel.

Original 60's live surf is so rare, this is a real treasure!

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Those tracks from the Original Surfaris are hands down some of my absolute favorites from the first wave, very much agreed on Larry Weed not getting enough props.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

AWESOME! Great live track! Listen to that crowd - holy cow! Those teens were primed and ready to go off!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Surfin' in the mid-west 1960? The Rhythmn Rockers from Michigan (not to be confused with the SoCal surf band with the same name) recorded this very surfy number in 1960. I first heard this on Vol 1 of the great Strummin' Mental LP comp from 1989. A great I-IV-V stomper!

Ran across these two recently. Anybody know anything about the Baymen?

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I think they were part of the South Bay scene and a few of them were later part of the Challengers, if my memory is correct. I'll try to remember where I read about them...

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

And here's the Lancers.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Killers from Space

Last edited: Jan 08, 2015 12:53:46

IvanP wrote:

I think they were part of the South Bay scene and a few of them were later part of the Challengers, if my memory is correct. I'll try to remember where I read about them...

OK, it came back to me - a few members of the Baymen went on to join up with the Challengers for the Dick Delvy produced spy-instro band the Clee-Shays. I think both Rob Edwards in particular but also John Anderson from the Baymen also became an important part of Eddie & the Showmen, providing those amazing rhythm guitar parts. I believe Edwards really became a right-hand man to Eddie Bertrand, too. Eddie talks about Rob in the Q&A on SG101 some years ago (which I condensed into the Continental #21 article). It appears that the Baymen were a very important part of the South Bay scene!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

IvanP wrote:

OK, it came back to me - a few members of the Baymen went on to join up with the Challengers for the Dick Delvy produced spy-instro band the Clee-Shays. I think both Rob Edwards in particular but also John Anderson from the Baymen also became an important part of Eddie & the Showmen, providing those amazing rhythm guitar parts. I believe Edwards really became a right-hand man to Eddie Bertrand, too. Eddie talks about Rob in the Q&A on SG101 some years ago (which I condensed into the Continental #21 article). It appears that the Baymen were a very important part of the South Bay scene!

Thanks Ivan!

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Killers from Space

Re: The Baymen, see page 9 of "The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music, 1961-1965." And, if you can still find a copy, Domenic Priore's "All Summer Long" (Dumb Angel Gazette #4) has an amazing four-page foldout "family tree" of all the South Bay surf bands from The Frogmen/Belairs/Baymen to The Turtles, Everpresent Fullness, The Beach Boys, and even The Standells.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next