Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink LOST HEROES FROM THE DAWN OF SURF!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 1519 20 Next

brandonio wrote:

It's true Phantom 5 were from Indiana.It makes me proud to know that surf was indeed alive here in Indiana even back in the 60's.
Now if only I could find my hometown of Anderson's own The Majestics "Safari" on YouTube.Just when you think almost everything should be on YouTube by now sadly we're not even close. No

Found it, although it's now almost 2 years down the line from the original request...

-Damon.

How about a couple from the Rhythm Rockers, as their name has popped up in another thread, and they happen to have had some really great stuff.

-Damon.

Nice growly sax!

jdangerously57 wrote:

brandonio wrote:

It's true Phantom 5 were from Indiana.It makes me proud to know that surf was indeed alive here in Indiana even back in the 60's.
Now if only I could find my hometown of Anderson's own The Majestics "Safari" on YouTube.Just when you think almost everything should be on YouTube by now sadly we're not even close. No

Found it, although it's now almost 2 years down the line from the original request...

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Heres a killer tune from The Rondels, just dripping with reverb.

-Damon.

shivers13 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at7N2jIvTnE

From 1962 comes the killer 45 Latinia b/w Tor-Chula, an amazing Latin flavored single by The Sentinals from San Luis Obispo. Beautiful guitar work on these songs!

The Sentinals' Latinia has been my favorite surf song ever since I first heard it while in high school; it's also one of the first surf tunes I learned to play. I especially like how they slide into "Malaguena" riffs as a bridge to reinforce their Latin flavoring.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016 16:42:18

"The Sentinels' Latinia has been my favorite surf song ever since I first heard it while in high school"

I used to see them 'live' at the Rosegarden Ballroom down the road in Pismo Beach early 60's with The Impacts and/or The Revells.

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

We played a Battle of the The Bands up there in 63 and I was floored how good the Sentinels were. Latinia is one my favorites too. As a drummer, I was especially impressed with Johnny Barbatas drumming! Ron maybe you were there as the Hells Angels were having a large gathering near by and there was a fear they might join us at the dance.

Straight outta Anaheim... Some wild and frantic teenage stomp by The Avenger's VI.

Another great one from Anaheim's AVENGERS VI. The moody and spooky HEARTBEAT...

Super fun, Duane Eddy-inspired surf tune, NIGHT CREATURE by The Gigolo's. Perfect SoCal day today... Driving to the beach with this one.

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 10:50:41

Here's real oddball entry to the surf universe in 1965. From Minnitonka Minnisota come THE YETTIMEN with their strange tune, HIGH HIMALAYAS. Sounding a bit like MoonDawg, it doesn't know whether it wants to be a vocal or an instrumental. Nice tone, however!

Some very solid playing and melodic surf by THE REVELAIRS from the South Bay, Manhattan Beach area...

Aloha,
I apologize if this Song/Performer appears in this article in an earlier
post. I tried to go through all Fourteen pages, but the search was becoming cumbersome. Takin' fo' evahs Brah! So here it comes.
His references in Surf Music are all through the backdoor.
With Great Thanks/Mahalos to the wonderful Surf Historians, in our midst,
he has been duly noted in the History of Surf Music.
But you won't hear it from him. I've heard he won't discuss this "dark side" of his history. When in reality, he already had a huge group of fans in this small (in comparison) genre of music that we fondly call SURF.
I've hear that in the record industry of yore

"To do, is to be" Aristotle ~ "To be, is to do" Socrates ~ "Doobie, doobie- doo" Sinatra

Shoots....somehow that got prematurely SENT....anyways, before I was so rudely interrupted, I heard Surf music in record sales numbers was right up there with POLKA...not bad company.
So, with no further ado, This his mystery Pioneer of Surf Music is none other than (long drum roll).................Jim Messina.
Jim Messina and his Jesters with The Jester.
By the way Brah' and Sistahs I might add this friggin' song RIPS!
Tops in my stack of 45's....
Later on, he was known for his contributions to Buffalo Springfield, Poco and Loggin's & Messina.
This song is also on "Legends of Surf Guitar Volume I"
So here is my contribution to this thread:
"The Jester"

ALSO all his surf/drag songs can be heard on YouTube, too.

Now in control......Submitting REPLY
Aloha,
Mister Backwards

"To do, is to be" Aristotle ~ "To be, is to do" Socrates ~ "Doobie, doobie- doo" Sinatra

Aloha,
Went through all these pages of Surf Pioneers and saw no previous post about The Jesters, so that was good.

What a bunch of great references!

A few comments on some of these awesome messages:
We (Solar Wind Surf Band) was playing at a nighttime beach party in Puako, and this guy literally crawled up to us, in the sand, and asked if we knew how to play "Caterpillar Crawl". I had never heard of it, so I later had to do some deep digging, to find it, but we learned it. Still waiting to see him again. Back then, we didn't have this great network of Surf aficionados...

Shivers13 mentioned The Gamblers with "Moon Dawg" and listed the players.
You always do your homework! I noticed that Sandy Nelson was the drummer on this tune.
There is a song that was a Sandy Nelson hit, that I've never heard referenced as "SURF Influence" but this song was in my stack of 45's back in 1961, it was always along with all of my surf records. Maybe not mentioned because it didn't have reverb. A great Drum solo, too.
it's called "Let There Be Drums"
As an added note, Sandy Nelson went to Fairfax High School with Phil Spector and they went into the music business together. He was one of the drummers in The Wrecking Crew

Wow, another great reference from Shivers13

"Some people associate fuzz with the later 60's but Hal Blaine and crew were unleashing it in 1963! Check out the fuzz-fueled GREEN MONSTER by Hal Blaine & the Young Cougars."

Shivers, You are really coming up with some really cool stuff, never heard Green Monster before! This song is in reference to The Green Monster, a dragster that had a jet engine mounted in it, left everybody in the dust.

But, if you want to talk about FUZZ effect in Guitar music, you've got to go back even further, to 1957 (I was ten) and the Grandfather of Distortion/Fuzz. (he slit the speakers in his amp with a switchblade knife to achieve this distortion) and he mastered the Power Chord with long sustain, and he turned his Tremelo on the Amp to 10 by the end of this song. This song was also banned from Radio Airplay in the City of New York, due to it's reference to gang violence.

This would be....Link Wray and The Wraymen with "Rumble"

Simply Untouchable....

Aloha,
Kim

Thanks for your contribution, MrBackwards. Yes, there are many Jim Messina and The Jesters fans here. He is certainly a "Lost Legend" of the genre. Surf from the very inland town of Fontana, CA.

Here's a personal fave, STRANGE MAN by Jim and his Jesters. Very "Out of Limits" inspired.

Yesterday I met one of the members of THE VISCOUNTS at the annual Rat Fink Party. The Viscounts recorded the single HARLEM NOCTURNE in '59/'60 which was a hit and became an early surf standard. This sax based tune is a big fave of the great Jim Frias. Many other groups performed it as well.

While talking to this guy (can't remember his name at the moment) he was telling me about playing with Janis and Buddy Miles in the 60's which is cool, but of course I asked him what his first band was and he said The Viscounts! I flipped more over that the other big names he played with. Very cool cat.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014 11:51:14

Very cool! My guess is that Jim Frias' own band the Nocturnes got their name from this tune!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 1519 20 Next