Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink INSTRO SUMMIT 2012! May 4th-6th, the Cave, Chapel Hill, NC!

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 Next

Thanks a lot for the videos Tuck!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

yeah Tuck,
thanks!

really appreciate them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks a lot for the videos Tuck!

Agreed. He's been prowling our FB and You Tube fan pages like a mad man. Which is good, because Robby is way behind in getting the Proper Instro Summit vids up and running. Sigh

--Crispy

Tuck wrote:

I knew I forgot somebody ... Morph! I met Morph.

Pleasure meeting you too, Tuck! Wish we could have chatted more, but I know there was a lot going on Friday night.

I would include Ivan, too, but for me that would be like going to see Dick Dale and telling somebody later "Oh, I ran into Dick Dale the other day." (And, would you believe it, he had a Stratocaster in his hands. What are the odds of that?)

Funny, he was not holding a strat in his hands when I saw him. Big Grin

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Instro summit 2012
A thank you to all those involved, attended, played and swam in the reverb and instrumental music at The Cave and Southern Rail Lunch Time Jam. Crispy is the master of picking killer bands, unbelievable raffle gifts, getting sponsors and setting up a weekend of the instrumental madness. Each year, the Instro Summit event grows and continues to expand as do the attendees, quality and intensity of the bands performing as well. As a band, playing this event gets more intense each year, the bands continue to improve and hit harder than the previous year.
I got a chance to chat with some new folks and old friends (the list would be to long). I’m bummed that I had to get up, hit the road and leave Sunday morning; next year; I’m planning to make it a 66 hour - 4 day run and catch all the bands on Sunday, maybe host a Sunday afternoon tiki cocktail shaker?
Thank you again Crispy and your personal support staff people, your time, energy, money, countless hours of planning, Rumble Jam, Branded Contest, email correspondence, arranging, logistics, equipment hauling, answering dumb questions, hosting, your devotion and most importantly the love and support you give us, from fans to bands. 3 days of the best surf and instrumental music is what we get and can only hope for next year.
I’d like to share our (9th Wave) adventure with you all - and how we spent the best 42 hours, listened to at least 14 bands, played 2 shows with 1 jam and drove a total of 1,430 miles. It was totally worth it and we’re ready to do it again.
Friday
4 am left Mansfield , CT, picked up bass player and his wife at 6 am, cleared NYC and over the George Washington Bridge by 7:30 am. Hit traffic jam in Arlington VA 12 noon; arrive in Chapel Hill, NC at the University Inn by 5 pm. Had time for a quick rum punch cocktail, chatted with the Mystery Men? 6:45 pm off the Cave to catch Killer Filler (great). 8 pm the Mystery Men? ripped some serious surf with a 3 guitar assault (ripped my face off and raised the performance bar HIGH). 9 pm Aqualads (solid). 10 pm Weisstronauts and, 11 pm Destination Earth, 12 am Madeira did not catch all of their set, starting to fade and needed recharging. I completely missed Kill, Baby …Kill (bummed!)

Saturday
8 am loaded van with equipment to play at the Ultimate Comics Free Comic Book Day annual event in Durham, NC. 10 am hot and playing surf music in the sun to the Ultimate Comics people, in costumes (Storm Troopers, Wonder Woman, Cat Woman, Bat Woman, medieval, cartoon, super heroes), geeks, freaks and yes, a few surf fans from the summit (thanks J.D and others). Crispy jumped up for a quick tune, we sold some CDs. 11:30 am repacked the van and headed to the Southern Rail Station.

12:30 pm Southern Rail Station lunch time jam. Loaded in amps and bass rig and played a few tunes, chatted with Mike from DePinto guitars and assisted with the bands playing the jam. Here’s a list of bands and/or super combos that played. Many players test drove the DiPinto guitars and bass that Mike Tomaszewski (DiPinto rep) had out on display and for use. Everyone sounded great.
9th Wave with Crispy
The Monterreys
Madeira
The Atom Bumz with Mom Surfing
Surging-Monterrey-Mystery Men?
The Surge
The Aqualads

3 pm Phatlynx played a set, and then moved into the Branded contest. I missed ‘Mom Surfing’ winning performance.

4 pm The Rumble jam was thunderous, 18 guitars, 2 bass and 1 drummer. I was playing next to Mike Tomaszewski (DiPinto rep) who had a bass, no more guitars were available. He wanted to play goofy (with his teeth, etc.) and I followed his lead (see video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx1R6GGUMCc ). Packed amps and equipment back into the van, back to the motel and changed.

6:45 pm back at the Cave, 7 pm Atom Bumz (tight sound) 8 pm we (9th wave) played a loud and fast set. 9 pm The Surge (excellent, solid and played with finesse), 10 pm Atomic Mosquitos (great as always), 11 pm Intoxicators (excellent, high energy). 12 midnight we packed up amps, organ and guitars, said our good bys. – awesome performances by al the bands - 1:30 am back to motel and pulled some of the equipment into our rooms – finished the rum cocktails.

8 am repacked the van with equipment, chatted with the Monterrey Man and hit the road home by 9 am. Arrived back home in CT. by 10 pm.
Thanks again, from the surf side of life,
Mike – 9th Wave

Mike
9thwavesurf.com
NESMASURF.org

Tikisurfin wrote:

Instro summit 2012
I missed ‘Mom Surfing’ winning performance.

I'm Branded

4 pm The Rumble jam was thunderous, 18 guitars, 2 bass and 1 drummer.

The Rumble (another video)

Now I need comic footage, because, yep, I missed that! And most of the jam, too.

Last edited: May 18, 2012 11:42:42

From Noel, video of the Surge. Noel has a couple up so far. They are posted in FB video, however. Not sure it's visible to non FaceBook users and/or if you have to be logged into FaceBook if you have an account. Noel's access settings may be relevant, too.

The Surge

Last edited: May 18, 2012 12:45:44

thanks for the 'i'm branded' tuck. that was a hoot.

www.surfintheeye.com

It seems I am at least consistently late getting to these things. Maybe there's something to be said about that... haha

What a great time this event is every year!! MAJOR kudos and thank goes first and foremost to one Crispy Bess. This thing has grown every year we've been involved, and every year Crispy guides us through it all with incredible grace and charm. There can never be enough praise laid upon him for this!

FRIDAY:
We were so thrilled to be able to debut the 3-GUITAR attack at The Instro Summit! Originally Richard, being a new daddy and all, thought he was going to have to miss the event, so I asked Chad Shivers from The Squares (AKA 'Chadillac' here on the forums) if he would be interested in filling in. He enthusiastically agreed, and in the course of running through the songs with us, we found that we gel and get along so well, that until he says differently, we're calling him a Mystery Man. Chad brings with him a fresh musical perspective and an incredible technical knowledge. When he said "how do you feel about me writing a 3rd guitar part for the songs since Richard and I will both be playing" I was totally sold. Just a perfect fit. Anyway, the response has been INCREDIBLE and given our close relationship with so many people in that room, it just means the world to us!

Killer Filler started Friday (talk about a tough act to follow.... eesh!!). I hope that things can work out so they continue to play because that band is just SO good. After us were The Aqualads, a band that is just continues to bowl me over and over. Great guys and incredible musicians. I can't agree with Ivan enough about how much fuss this band deserves. After the 'Lads we needed food (and beer!) so we headed over to the Carolina Brewery which is really such a great place. The 3 drinkers in The Mystery Men? are craft beer nerds, so to have a brewery (and a good one at that) virtually next door is really amazing. Sadly this means we missed The Weisstronauts as well as most of Destination: Earth. NOT ENOUGH TIME!!! hahaha. We got back into gear with The Madeira though. Yet another POWERHOUSE experience watching this band. I've said it before and I'll say it again... this is a band that must be witnessed. It's almost a completely singular experience. It's such a ingestion of melody and power that my surroundings sometimes will fall away and I am aware of only the aural experience. Only the power of Slacktone has triggered such an experience. Kill Baby Kill finished out the evening and did so with a BOOM! I've seen these guys MANY times, but never have I heard them so tight and rich. This current lineup is really special, and they are firing on all cylinders! That's a tough night to close, and they did it beautifully!

SATURDAY:
The jams at The Southern Rail are really a great time. It's good to be able to chat and chill and hang out with everyone. It was also a great opportunity to fool around with some DiPinto guitars. I was really impressed! I was happy to participate in the 20 (!!!) guitar RUMBLE JAM! Talk about a big sound!! After the Southern Rail festivities (and a short nap... haha) It was back to The Cave for night 2. Unfortunately, The Cave was so unbearably hot that I didn't see a single band's full set. I don't know what happened between Friday and Saturday, but it was rough. The bands, however (from what I saw) were not rough at all! The Atom Bumz set the night up perfectly, 9th Wave once again gave us a solid and varied set; The Surge, The Atomic Mosquitos and The Intoxicators (all bands that I am really familiar with) predictably played great sets to a VERY happy crowd! It's just one band after another doing what they do best: consistently great surf music! By the time The Krektones (great as they are!) got going I was fading and fast. Much as it pained me to miss Blood Red River, I had to hit the hay.

I treasure weekends like this. Having this in the spring and the SG101 Convention in the summer keeps me inspired all year long. Just amazing people, incredible talent and wonderful, soul elating music.

Already looking forward to next year!!

Just got the first batch of DVD's to mail from Robby; getting ready to send them in the mail, along with a mess a checks. If all goes well, all bands will have their DVD's in the mail by mid-week. Then just maybe I can settle in front of my TV and watch how everyone's show went.

--Crispy

The Atom Bumz

In the case of bands I've already made lists for, I'll just update the lists linked earlier. However, for the Penetrators, who were present in spirit:

Codename: Gypsy The Mystery Men?
Lamento a Go-Go The Surge!

DannySnyder wrote:

Wow Crispy, that post was EPIC! Worship

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Loved reading that, Crispy! I can't believe you were able to remember all that! And thanks SO MUCH again for all the super-nice comments about the Madeira, we truly appreciate 'em.

morphball wrote:

You sounded phenomenal on jazzmaster and strat alike Jeremy, my ear didn't detect tuning issues at all, though I totally get the being your own worst critic thing.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Heck, I didn't even notice he broke a string. I just enjoyed seeing Jeremy play a Strat! (Though it pains me to admit that the Jazzmaster seems to work slightly better for him - his tone with a JM was huge.)

Jamie, thanks so much for the nice words! It was a thrill to see you and your band again, and to get to hang out with you! It's always a pleasure, made even better by the fact that Chad was there, too. Still soooo bummed I missed the 3-guitar Mystery Men, and hope we'll get to fix that soon enough...

Thanks for the J.M. Jag photo, Fady. A really nice guitar, but it don't quite look right on me, dontcha think?? Smile

Thanks for the videos, Tuck! Really glad the tracks played with DiPinto were preserved for the posterior, umm, posterity... Smile Looking forward to the other videos.

And very much looking forward to seeing the official DVD, Crispy. Thanks once again for you gigantic efforts! It was an unforgettable time!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:

Thanks for the J.M. Jag photo, Fady. A really nice guitar, but it don't quite look right on me, dontcha think?? Smile

Nope, you look pretty badass with it. Thumbs Up

Mike

Some new videos Robby finally put on on our You Tube page:

A very big announcement about the Summit shall be made soon--stay tuned!

--Crispy

I'm eager to hear good news and start planning to come down.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Okay, enough stalling for drama; here's the big announcement:

BIG DEAL!: the Dates for Instro Summit 2013 have officially been set! Next year, it'll be May 3rd-5th, and a brand-new location--The Casbah in Durham! Bigger venue, bigger stage, and more instro bands playing than ever before! Mark your calendars!

http://casbahdurham.com/

--Crispy

I'll be there.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

KBK is ready to attack year number 3 with a new album to support and a new attitude to bring.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Hah! Awesome, a block away from my job- won't have any trouble getting there.

Mike

More bands, bigger venue, bigger stage...great news Crispy!

Good job man!

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 Next