Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink INSTRO SUMMIT 2012! May 4th-6th, the Cave, Chapel Hill, NC!

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 Next

Those are terrific, and BTW it was really great to finally meet you.

Tuck wrote:

Some video (I need to make some playlists):

A big old list of videos for the Monterreys, Rebel Surfers, Kill Baby Kill from the Monterreys site.

Intoxicators w/Penetration
Krektones w/Boss

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Just got back late Wednesday night. (Visited friends in Charlotte, then I was busy yesterday going to the Aqua Velvets show. Tough life, I know.)

Really enjoyed every aspect of the Summit. The bands were high quality and fun. Ken and I had lots and lots of excellent conversations. Strange to travel so far and feel so much at home. Hope to see many of you at the Surfguitar101 convention in August.

Coz

Finally getting chance to post.

Here’s a list of bands and or super combos that played at the Southern Rail on Saturday, May 5th during the lunch time musicians jam. This ran from 1pm until 2:30pm, bands played 3 – 4 tunes. Many players test drove the DiPinto guitars and bass that Mike Tomaszewski (DiPinto Rep) had out on display and for use. Everyone sounded great.

9th Wave with Crispy
The Monterreys
Madeira
The Atom Bumz with Mom Surfing
Surging-Monterrey-Mystery Men?
The Surge
The Aqualads

Check out www.dipintoguitars.com for a full catalog

Mike
9thwavesurf.com
NESMASURF.org

mary.....it was so cool seeing so many people from sg101 at the summit.

mike.......i know i've said it before, but i loved 9th waves set.

www.surfintheeye.com

A little blog I'm putting up on the Summit's MySpace Page this evening:

50 Highlights (and a few Lowlights) of Instro Summit 2012

1. The usual panic before showtime, which this year included missing mic cables, a bass amp whose owner didn’t know it had to be on stage (sorry, Groves–my fault!), and a video recording rig what was missing parts, semi-disabled and otherwise not cooperating. All crises were solved juuuust before 7pm–whew!

2. The surprise arrival of three huge boxes of Vintage Guitar magazines sent by VG to be given away free all weekend–what a nice treat!

3. Mark Murphy and Steve Eisenstadt saving a yet-again disabled Killer Filler from not playing the music festival they traditionally host. Considering that they both had exactly one rehearsal with the remainder of the band, these two worked miracles–thanks guys!

4. The Mystery Men’s? new Triple-Guitar onslaught that gave the entire crowd a bitch slap to attention. Their best show at the Summit so far.

5. Phatlynx drummer Colonel Dave Perry arriving with a mess of hot Italian pies lovingly donated by Amante’ Pizza, which were devoured so fast by Summit musicians that some of the empty boxes were left spinning in mid-air.

6. The Aqualads’ usual outstanding set, played with a look of ease, grace and smiles that the rest of wish we could accomplish at some point in our lifetimes.

7. The Weisstronauts jamming on stage with producer/Let’s Active guitarist Mitch Easter–on my guitar! Shock

8. Destination: Earth storming the stage to the Cowboy Bebop theme, and playing a sweet set of songs that were not only great, but quite distinct from the rest of bands, all while wearing their groovy space cop outfits. They also helped us keep our traditional “One Theremin per night” rule at the Summit. (The Atomic Mosquitos and Thee Ice Picks keeping the Flame of Leon lit the nights thereafter)

9. The Madeira’s simply stunning set of lush beauty that left all of us feeling like better people from the experience. Ivan and the boys simply couldn’t be topped the rest of the week, but bygod, after that, a whole mess of bands got real close.

10. Kill, Baby...Kill! literally ending their explosive set with a bang. Too bad it killed their keyboard in the process.

11. Watching Meredith Goldbecks’ boyfriend Jessee, exhausted from a long day of work before the Summit, fall asleep in a chair for hours. He later got up, watched the Madeira and Kill, Baby..Kill!, then returned to chair and fell back asleep, this time with a big smile on his face.

12. 9th Wave Getting our Saturday rockin’–at breakfast time–playing for the happy nerds at Ultimate Comics during Free Comic Book Day.

13. Trying–and failing–to jam along with 9th Wave on Sandy’s high-action, heavy gauge-stringed Jazzmaster, which she plays with ease. You got my respect, Sandy!

14. A Lunch Jam at the Station that left everyone with happy bellies AND ears, with fun mini-sets by 9th Wave, the Aqualads, Atom Bumz, Monterreys, and Madeira.

15. The Lunch Jam formation of a brand-new hybrid group: The Surging Monterrey Mystery Meteor Men!

16. Getting to fool around with all the different models of DiPinto guitars and basses all weekend (I have to admit I’m pretty smitten with that Gold Sparkle Mach IV...). The free DiPinto guitar picks that DiPinto rep Mike Tomaszewski passed around also got liberal use–sometimes in emergencies–all weekend long.

17. Southern Rail and Station manager Jim Smith surprising all of us by buying a brand-new DiPinto Belvedere guitar 15 minutes after Mike took it out of its’ case.

18. Mike Waters and Carol Busbey dukin’ it out (musically!) during the “I’m Branded” contest (nice Eastwood by the way, Mike!)

19. Watching Jim Smith herd (surf) cats and get them all on the same page with ease and enthusiasm during the Rumble Jam. There’s a reason this guy is in management!

20. The glory of Finally breaking the record at this years’ Rumble Jam (20 guitars!!), but also the amazement of how well all those people on stage started, stopped and played together so well. Nicely done, everybody!

21. Nearly everyone from the Friday night lineup saying their goodbyes at the end of the Lunch Jam, with handshakes, hugs and smiles a-plenty.

22. A torrential rain that arrived right after the Lunch Jam that not only killed the Cave’s Saturday night crowd, but left this Instigator in the curious position of being soaking wet on the outside while thoroughly dehydrated on the inside.

23. The Atom Bumz, as “Los Vagrantes Atomicos”, wearing Luchadore masks that made all their heads look really small.

24. The arrival of the Goldbecks with their awesomely delicious Carolina BBQ, brought for 9th Wave and also generously sampled by your truly. Sorry ‘bout the stains on the pool table, Mouse!

25. The Surge jumping the gun before I could announce them properly, but with good reason–it was one of the best sets of music the Summit has ever heard, and set the bar for the rest of the evening.

26. Dancing like a durned fool while DJ Bumpadelic played “Buzzsaw” by the Turtles, which has the coolest Hammond organ solo of all time, hands down.

27. The arrival of former Sleazefest impresario Craig Zearfoss, who felt right at home during our wing ding.

28. Craig’s life-saving suggestion that in order to combat fatigue and dehydrating during the weekend, I alternate drinking Gatorade and sweet tea the entire time. It worked!

29. Watching every third band come up to DJ Bumpadelic and ask him “Ooo! What song is that?” , which made him and me smile with pride.

30. The tireless work from the Monterreys’ Jason Dickey and Johnny Stewart–and later Leon Daniel–who served as roadies and drum techs the entire weekend.

31. Bill Stancill’s exhaustive video work, made all the more amazing by his exhaustive photography work all weekend.

32. The Atomic Mosquitos skillfully playing their fourth Summit in a row, this time with Theremin player Steve Blickenstaff back for the fun. Just like the Surge, I hope I can always have these guys back every year.

33. The Intoxicators loud, swaggering set of stompers that would’ve made both Joe Maphis and the Trashmen proud. A kickass debut!

34. Finally getting to see the Krektones with their elusive horn player, which made an already fun band twice as good.

35. Blood Red Rivers’ butt-kickin’ close to Saturday night, featuring stereophonic gogo dancers and a PBR bottle solo by Jared Barkley.

36. My Bandelirium co-host and BRR gogo dancer Evangeline Christie’s home grown veggies, which were alternately eaten with ravenous delight by the late-night crowd, or turned into hors d’ourves by Cave staffer Washington the next evening. Sweet Tomatoes from a sweet Tamater!

37. Durned near killing DiPinto’s Mike Tomaszewski from exhaustion and partying by the end of day two. (And the Instro Summit is the tame festival in these parts! Lard have mercy if Mike ventures down to the Heavy Rebel Weekender this July...).

38. Listening and watching both the Monterreys and Rebel Surfers practice Sunday afternoon in Dex Romweber’s garage.

39. Watching the Monterreys Johnny Stewart run about with wide-eyed glee as he got to sample all sorts of guitars and amps he never tried before all weekend long; he was truly the kid locked in a candy store.

40. A fabulous Sunday opening set by the 3rd Expression.

41. Hearing the Meteor Men for the first time. A nice set by some very nice guys, their free beer coozies not only worked great, but were a highly sought after souvenir by Instro Summit fans.

42. The Monterreys regrouping as a trio, and coming back bigger, badder and bolder in the process. They truly knocked it out of the park Sunday night.

43. Fun with trying to give away a bag of sourdough pretzels by having people give me their best pronunciation of “Utz”.

44. Thee Ice Picks literally arriving at the last moment, playing a frantic, sloppy, rockin’ mess of fun, then disappearing almost as fast (well, actually they came back inside in different clothes, but nobody knew who they were!).

45. Last-minute replacement for the Noseriders, the Great White Caps, playing a set that was a fun-filled treat both musically AND visually. I now totally understand why these fellers get such awesome opening slots in their home turf.

46. The humor of Instro Summit Den Mother Becky Stancill winning a Fuzz pedal during the raffle drawing. Husband Bill suggested she could plug it into her sewing machine before she and Swag Case winner Wayland E. Massey swapped their prizes.

47. The chomping at the bit Concrete Rivals finally hitting the stage–at 1am!–and giving everybody one last rockin’ kick in the keister. They also have the extra notoriety of being the ONLY Summit band ever asked to play an encore.

48. The bittersweet reminder that this would be our last Summit at the Cave, our home base since the beginning, combined with the optimism and hope that next year will be bigger and better.

49. Handshakes, hugs and kisses at the end of the evening from the many fans that stayed all three nights, networked with each other, and enjoyed every minute of it.

50. Robby Poore and I talking to each other on the phone the next day, sounding like two punch drunk fighters from our three-day lack of sleep marathon. We both agreed that no, we probably wouldn’t have band practice Monday night...

--Crispy

Last edited: May 12, 2012 19:20:59

Crispy,
thanks for the awesome run down, even though it made me even more sad I missed it.
I must get out there next year.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

From the Instro Summit YouTube site, Satruday jam session and garage rehearsals:

The Madeira w/Undercurrents (Di Pinto style)
The Madeira w/Intruder (Surf Coasters) (Di Pinto style)

The Rebel Surfers practice Scratchy (in Crispy's garage)
The Monterreys practice Zeta Reticuli (in Crispy's garage)

Evangeline's (heirloom) Tomatoes: I got to squeeze one. Trying to figure out what that purple thing was on the pool table.
Concrete Rivals: The only way you can fit an encore into the jam-packed Instro Summit schedule is play dead last.
The Big Tiki Dude at Instro Summit: Great idea, but Crispy Bess will need a bigger venue.

The Big Tiki Dude at Instro Summit: Great idea, but Crispy Bess will need a bigger venue.

You sayin' that BTD is too big to fit in the Cave? Damn--I thought I was large... Wink

--Crispy

Last edited: May 13, 2012 11:53:11

Wow Crispy, that post was EPIC! Worship

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: May 13, 2012 12:56:36

CrispyGoodness wrote:

You sayin' that BTD is too big to fit in the Cave? Damn--I thought I was large... Wink

Well, mainly you need a higher ceiling.

We finished our tour in the wee hours of Sunday Morning, so I am just now recovered enough to sit down and type anything that would make any sense.

We were only able to catch Friday night of the Summit, as well as a few of the bands playing at The Station the following morning. What we were able to see was, as expected, top notch, entertaining and humbling.

If I have one regret from the Summit this year, it is that I was having some crowd/heat induced anxiety issues on Friday night and really wasn't able to enjoy the entire sets from each band, nor was I really able to really go around and meet everyone that I had hoped to.

It was wonderful seeing old friends, as well as making new ones. It is always a pleasure to get to see Crispy. I swear, that man needs to be the official poster boy for instro music nation wide.

Thank everyone for the support they showed Kill,Baby...Kill! at the Summit. It was very welcome and was just the kick in the ass we needed to up our game for the rest of our tour, as our performances the previous two nights were a bit lackluster.

I need to give a special shout-out to Noel for making the trip up. Honest to GOD, you were exactly as I expected, and that is a very good thing. Not just the instro community, but the music community in general needs many more people like you. Your warmth and enthusiasm is the fuel every musician needs. I only look for the day when you will have a guitar strapped on and are performing at Instro Summit yourself.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

OK, properly, with YouTube playlists.

Blood Red River at Instro Summit
The Intoxicators at Instro Summit
The Krektones at Instro Summit
The Madeira at Instro Summit
*The Monterreys at Instro Summit
Ninth Wave at Instro Summit
The Great White Caps at Instro Summit

*Neither the lists nor the list of lists itself are complete at the moment!

Last edited: May 14, 2012 09:08:15

This is my favorite aspect to the cave...bathroom art! I think someone wrote this during my set, as I had the worst tuning issues that night. My mastery bridge failed me hard (or I failed it which is probably more likely!) Big Grin

Jeremy

Last edited: May 14, 2012 15:42:09

aqualadius wrote:

This is my favorite aspect to the cave...bathroom art! I think someone wrote this during my set, as I had the worst tuning issues that night. My mastery bridge failed me hard (or I failed it which is probably more likely!) Big Grin

Sounded fine to me Jeremy and I've seen y'all a lot in the past year .
I was right up front the whole time when you guys were playin and I didn't even notice any tuning issues . Sounded Awesome as always even better !

Johnny Rocket
The Monterreys !
http://www.youtube.com/user/THEMONTERREYS?feature=mhum

You sounded phenomenal on jazzmaster and strat alike Jeremy, my ear didn't detect tuning issues at all, though I totally get the being your own worst critic thing.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Thanks Johnny and Morphball, but I did break a string just moments after I saw IvanP in the audience...SNAP! However Onslow_Beach and IvanP were nice enough to restring it for me while I was using the strat! Good Times!

Jeremy

The Mystery Men? at Instro Summit
The Surge at Instro Summit

Thanks for all the work you've done to make available these great performances. It's been fun to relive the shows.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Noel, it was great meeting you too, not to mention talking with or meeting Carol, Mary & Ken, Jamie, Fady, Crispy, Bill & Becky, Eddie, Richard, Johnny, and I'm thinking some others. My Denver buddy JD was there too. Too bad you're not making it out to SG101, Noel!

As far as video, I am reverently (a) approaching the Madeira footage and (b) waiting for the Cave/Summit's "house video" from Bill Stancill.

I knew I forgot somebody ... Morph! I met Morph.

I would include Ivan, too, but for me that would be like going to see Dick Dale and telling somebody later "Oh, I ran into Dick Dale the other day." (And, would you believe it, he had a Stratocaster in his hands. What are the odds of that?)

I totally failed to meet Pete & Manda Lou.

Last edited: May 17, 2012 14:31:05

Goto Page: Previous 1 212 13 14 15 16 Next