Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Showman the Holy Grail of Surf Amps?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Thanks for the bump Jonpaul!
My answer pertains only to the Brownface Showman amps (1960-1963).
My answer is a resounding "Yes!".
That's based on having experience both playing, and watching countless other bands play my amps live.

There is something about having 4 power tubes and a large output transformer that gives the Showman the classic surf sound. Not exactly clean, but defined and with authority to the tone. The smaller amps just don't sound and feel the same.

I honestly don't understand people that say "Showman amps don't sound good at low volume". Well, if you're going for a fully saturated, overdriven power tube sound, you will not get that from a Showman at very low volume. I find that I like to hear definition in the low notes, and don't like my ring-out chords being overdriven and overly-compressed, so not a fan of very overdriven power tubes.

I think anywhere you can play a Showman at 3-3.5 and above, you will do just fine. The amps sound good between 2-3 but that may be too low for any live situation with a 4 piece band and above.

Now before you bring up "everyone uses PA and mics the amps" - The vast majority of places where surf bands play do not have adequate PA systems to mic everything and provide both a good FOH and monitor mix.

A related anecdote:
Although the Alpine Village closed, unfortunately, it held many Surf Guitar 101 Convention shows, and a few related shows. I have seen a show there (not the convention) where the guitarists regretted using their small amps. No matter how much monitor level they wanted, the amps were too overdriven for a usable sound, due to the large airspace in the venue.
If we ever go back to having a show at a venue that holds a few hundred people, The Showman amps will be the best fit, but I have used these amps at much smaller venues with good results and not at overwhelming volume.

So, to conclude, yes, the Brownface Showman is the ultimate surf amp.

Ran

The Scimitars

wow 12 year old thread Shocked

My comment above was mainly about black face and later. Having spent a lot of time around Mel Waldorf's brownface showman at low volume, it sounded just great.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I have a Super Sonic 100 and I use the Showman setting. I run it through 2 4x12 cabs and use a 1964 Fender reverb unit. Anyone know how the Super Sonic 100 showman setting compares to the real thing? I love how it sounds but just curious.

A Dual Showman into a 4 ohm Eddie Katcher bass cabinet with a 400 watt E-V 15BX bass speaker is a beautiful thing tonally and volume-wise. The current crop of 800+ watt Class D solid state bass amps can't hold a candle to the way this one sounds. I know because I have two of those. Tubes rule with guitar and bass amps.

My final live gig was with this amp onstage at the 2018 Southern Surf Stompfest.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ wrote:

A Dual Showman into a 4 ohm Eddie Katcher bass cabinet with a 400 watt E-V 15BX bass speaker is a beautiful thing tonally and volume-wise.

My final live gig was with this amp onstage at the 2018 Southern Surf Stompfest.

Hi WoodyJ, If this was was your final live gig, I'm sure glad I've got some of it on video, and with the Dual Showman. Look at those Blondes!

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

That's it!....thanks, Tim! Yes

Johnny Ladshaw, a former Surge! drummer told me that I always looked like I was doing my taxes when I was on stage, and he was right - especially on that "last day" since I had never played some of the songs except at one quick rehearsal we did a few days earlier for my benefit.

I was filling in for Billy Buckhalt as he was temporarily out of commission due to a medical issue at the time.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The X-Rays (1997-2004)
(1978-1990)

Quick question Woody, if you don't mind. Do you know if this an original 4 Ohm Showman? Most of the originala are later (and have the Wheat grill cloth).

Thanks,
Ran

WoodyJ wrote:

A Dual Showman into a 4 ohm Eddie Katcher bass cabinet with a 400 watt E-V 15BX bass speaker is a beautiful thing tonally and volume-wise. The current crop of 800+ watt Class D solid state bass amps can't hold a candle to the way this one sounds. I know because I have two of those. Tubes rule with guitar and bass amps.

The Scimitars

Hi, Ran,

It is actually a 1967 4 ohm blackface Dual Showman that was "backdated" to look like an earlier '60-62 blonde/oxblood Showman. The band I was in at the time had matching blonde Fender amps and the blackface ones were easier to find on the used market.

I also had a '62 4 ohm Dual Showman that I sold awhile back ago when I was downsizing gear. It was a better-sounding guitar amp but the '67 is the better bass amp - more punch and definition.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The X-Rays (1997-2004)
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Aug 07, 2020 14:26:10

Thanks for the clarification, Woody!
Sorry for nagging, do you have any memory about the 62 you sold? The reason is, while there are a few conversions out there, factory Double Showman amps (4 Ohm) are more rare. And they are usually the later (63) amps.

Thank,

Ran

WoodyJ wrote:

Hi, Ran,

It is actually a 1967 4 ohm blackface Dual Showman that was "backdated" to look like an earlier '60-62 blonde/oxblood Showman. The band I was in at the time had matching blonde Fender amps and the blackface ones were easier to find on the used market.

I also had a '62 4 ohm Dual Showman that I sold awhile back ago when I was downsizing gear. It was a better-sounding guitar amp but the '67 is the better bass amp - more punch and definition.

The Scimitars

I bought a Supersonic head and cab 2-3 years ago, only for the cab, to go with my two Showman (Blackface, and Gomez Surfer). I was able to compare the Supersonic head with the two Showman before I sold it, honestly I thought the Showmen were much better. It's been a while so I could not describe exactly in what aspects, more punch and clarity from what I remember. The Supersonic was still very good though, with a nice guitar and reverb tank.

Sonic_Blue wrote:

I have a Super Sonic 100 and I use the Showman setting. I run it through 2 4x12 cabs and use a 1964 Fender reverb unit. Anyone know how the Super Sonic 100 showman setting compares to the real thing? I love how it sounds but just curious.

Yannick

Lead Guitar in Blackball Bandits : https://blackballbandits.bandcamp.com/
Solo project : https://thechollasurf.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Aug 07, 2020 20:12:05

The exception to this rule could be.
and Ran would probably agree with me.
Dave of the Insect Surfers uses a Fender Super Reverb Amp.
Being less powerful and having smaller speakers and an open back.
he uses it to get his sound we are all used to. We’ve seen him play thru a showman amp, and it affects his sound and playing to a detriment.
So at the last SG101 we suggested that he use his own amp, and we would run they the PA to fill the room better.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

That insane holy grail amp went to me! (Eternal thanks Jack!) One of the greatest treasures in my house. It is a 1962 6g14-A Showman with a factory 4-ohm Triad OT from a tweed Twin! I read on some obscure page that there were 31 of these made in that year, but who knows if that’s correct.

I also have a 1962 6g8-A Twin with a pair of ‘62 Oxford 12M6s and that thing sounds gorgeous as well. I read somewhere that there were less than 100 of these made that year, but again who knows. The differences may be because of the open back 12” speakers versus closed back 15” JBLs. The showman sounds somehow “older,” more vintage, warmer, less bright (but those unwound strings are still inhabited by banshees!), rougher around the edges than the Twin. Plus, this Twin weighs more than any amp I’ve ever carried. Feels around 100 pounds, whereas the 1974 120W Twin feels a good 10 pounds lighter.

I completely agree that it sounds great at lower levels, but some of those highs seem to be about 20 dB louder then the rest and split my brain. I ended up getting a power soak and also pulling two tubes, and now it’s almost perfect for indoor practicing without air plugs. I think the last bit of tweaking is the voltage operating level. I bought an Amp Maniac so I can operate it at a steady 115 VAC, but I need to wait until my arms heal a little more to play with that. It’s very exciting because I will be learning how to bias in this process!

For any show that I’ve played, having two Showmans was never an issue. That’s right, I play out with this holy grail Showman as well as a brand new 6g14 clone. I’ve been surprised at how loud I’ve had to turn these up sometimes, and cannot imagine trying to play with anything smaller. (We provide free air plugs at every show at the door, by the way!) If it was a small show, perhaps I’d bring the twin. Then again I have almost no experience with 40-50W amps.

Next for me is a 1962 6g6-B bassman, and a 1962 6g5-A Pro! But for either of those to happen, work needs to start again. So I may never hear those two amps in my house.
Dan

kick_the_reverb wrote:

Sorry for nagging, do you have any memory about the 62 you sold? The reason is, while there are a few conversions out there, factory Double Showman amps (4 Ohm) are more rare. And they are usually the later (63) amps.

Thank,

Ran

WoodyJ wrote:

Hi, Ran,

Daniel Deathtide

Awesome Dan!
Hard to tell exact numbers, I have heard conflicting info.
If you have pics and more details that would be great to see.
The Triad transformer in question is the 45268 Output Transformer.

Glad you are (or at least were before Covid-19) using it for its intended purpose.

All the best,

Ran

DeathTide wrote:

That insane holy grail amp went to me! (Eternal thanks Jack!) One of the greatest treasures in my house. It is a 1962 6g14-A Showman with a factory 4-ohm Triad OT from a tweed Twin! I read on some obscure page that there were 31 of these made in that year, but who knows if that’s correct.

kick_the_reverb wrote:

Thank,

Ran

WoodyJ wrote:

Hi, Ran,

The Scimitars

I’ve had the honor & privilege & pleasure to be playing through one of Ran’s Showman for all Scimitars rehearsals & gigs. The sound and tone is just insanely good. I’ve become spoiled by it. So it’s time for me to get one of my own.

So... saying that... um... I may have kinda accidentally purchased a brownface Showman today. Shock

can’t wait to play through it!

Last edited: Aug 08, 2020 15:33:15

bigtikidude wrote:

The exception to this rule could be.
and Ran would probably agree with me.
Dave of the Insect Surfers uses a Fender Super Reverb Amp.
Being less powerful and having smaller speakers and an open back.
he uses it to get his sound we are all used to. We’ve seen him play thru a showman amp, and it affects his sound and playing to a detriment.
So at the last SG101 we suggested that he use his own amp, and we would run they the PA to fill the room better.

Supers have a slightly different tone stack and tend to favor the midrange a bit more. If you have a close friend that is a world class weightlifter and is willing to carry it for you, it’s a wonderful amp. But they are both heavy and bulky.

These days, I think I’d pursue a Bandmaster, were I looking for a perfect Surf sound. I’d choose this, mainly because it’s much more lively that you’d get one into the sweet spot than a Showman, at least on indoor gigs. Also, and I’m not joking of being facetious here, harmonic tremolo literally makes me sick. I have no idea why, but I get nauseated by the sound. It’s not just the Showman varsity, it’s any harmonic trem I’ve ever played through. As a rule, I’m not prone to such problems, but harmonic tremolo affects me like seasickness.

That being the case, the added complexity of a Showman’s vibrato circuit would go unused, were I to own one. I’d probably use a Boss TR-2, set to sine wave for tremolo. A 6G15 (or Surfy Near) is pretty much a must.

As it is, I have a TRRI in a Showman look-alike case with a 1x15” speaker in a closed back cab. That’s pretty decent sounding, and the onboard reverb, which was forced to a short pan by space constraints, sounds excellent, although not a 6G15 level of coolness or drip.

On indoor gigs, I use something smaller, 12-15 watts, and mic’ it.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

pics or it didn’t happen.

josheboy wrote:

I’ve had the honor & privilege & pleasure to be playing through one of Ran’s Showman for all Scimitars rehearsals & gigs. The sound and tone is just insanely good. I’ve become spoiled by it. So it’s time for me to get one of my own.

So... saying that... um... I may have kinda accidentally purchased a brownface Showman today. Shock

Jeff(bigtikidude)

FedEX will supposedly deliver Friday. Then pics galore!

edit: fedex pushed the deliver to next wednesday Cry

bigtikidude wrote:

pics or it didn’t happen.

josheboy wrote:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020 09:51:50

We don't need all this discussion.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020 09:38:52

I own a modded Showman style amp and it’s a surfin machine

Man. All this Showman love from you guys makes me want one. A few months back pre pandemic, I was checking 2 out at a guitar shop.One blackface and one brownface. To my surprise, the sales guy actually was talking me out of the Showman heads and steering me into a Bandmaster instead. What I got out of it is performing musicians were preferring the lower wattage to the Showman's muscle. Is this just the prevailing trend now for modern stages these days? Been seeing a few guys ditching their Showmans ( or is it Showmen?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next