Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Showman the Holy Grail of Surf Amps?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

JakeDobner
Aquanauts do their gear right. Leave it to the young guys to keep surf an honest genre. An Aquanauts and 'Verb tour would be an amazing thing.

Dear Lordy, how right you are. I would have to propose a stop here in Columbus.

any thoughts on the weber californias? i really don't think i can afford the alnico one, as the ceramic is $100 cheaper. any recommendations for a good loud & clean 15" speaker besides the jbl's?

I replaced the stock Eminence 15 in my 100W '96 Custom Vibrasonic with a Weber ceramic California 15 with an aluminum dust cap...it is noticeably louder and cleaner than the stock speaker with great low end. Ditto for the 12" AlNiCo Cali that I installed in my '65 (original) Deluxe Reverb.

I agree 100% with Eddie regarding the EVM15L's, but they are getting hard to find in good shape, and a brand new ceramic Cali is less $$ than buying a used EV and reconing it.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006 20:44:24

A better question might be... Why can't Fender make em' like they used to?"

Because like most any major corporation out there, they are cost-driven. Profit is the primary motive.

Then again, much of their equipment costs less now than it did in 1965 when inflation is factored in. A new Dual Showman was $800 in 1965 dollars. That was a ton of money in those days!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

yeah, youu could get a pretty decent car back then for US $800...

DualShowman
Yeah, Bill Aqua uses a '65 Bandmaster w/ matching cab. Right now, he's got CTS 12"s in there, but he just bought 2 new AlNiCo Jensens from me and where gonna put them in there next week. I really like the new production Jensens, and there pretty inexpensive. We've also been toying with throwing a Bassman output transformer in his Bandy for better bass response, but we'll wait and see what the Jensens do. Bill's Bandy puts out a little over 50 W with a 1KHz @ 1mV RMS input signal. Treble for days...

I use a '66 Dual Showman w/ 2 D140Fs for bass. Need I say more?

Matt Aqua

Matt put the speakers in for me and restuffed the cab. I played it all day today and this thing is about 100 times better sounding than it was prior to this upgrade. I pushed it pretty hard and it still sounds really good and clean with the Jag and tank.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

If you can swing it get a Showman I did 66 Dual Showman this thing is truly a surfer's amp dream I'm in heaven since I got it from my wife for Christmas Embarassed and this thing is loud @ barely 4 on the dial @ shows and this is playing out of the virbrato channel dam! and the vibrato gives me chills fnnnn classic.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

eddiekatcher
My take on speakers is that the EV-15L's rule hands down. They sound bigger and meaner and much smoother than the D-130's. They are also practically indestructable. We played bass out of them in a Dual Showman cab for years. One of the problems with Bandmasters is that the large Fender cabinets with 2-12's seem to have too much volume and as a result tend to fart when turned up loud. Opting for say a good EV or Celestion will help but the stock set up is pretty wimpy. One quick and dirty fix is to remove the back and leave it open. This will improve its stage presence but will reduce it's projection. If you are on a big stage and mic'ed up that won't really matter. One thing that you absolutely want is to match the speakers so that they are really in phase. Mismatched speaker's "rise times" will absolutely drive you crazy. EV no longer makes the 15L but they are lurking everywhere and only cost about $75 to recone with factory parts. If you have to have that JBL look and sound, consider the Peavey 1504-4 SB, It is Peavey's copy of the JBL D/K-140. It has the chrome cap and shallow basket from the JBL design and sounds good in my tone ring single 15........ed

I have vintage EV sro 15`s and they kick butt. They are all original, and the cleanest youll ever see with out being redone.... Its a toss up for me between these and the JBL D130F`s.  Slight edge for the EV`s. If I could figure out how to post a pic of them I would.....

Today I brought out my 1966 Showman amp to test my "big " rig for our upcomming Pcific Shoreline Marathon gig.

It's a 66 head with a custom-made cab (fender logo and all) with a 15" Weber california D-130 replacement on a Tonering baffle. I'm using a a blonde RI tank, and my only effects are a Fuzzrite (by Ashbase) and a fulltone "fat boost" that gives a clean trebble boost for leads w/o only the slightest compression/distortion.

Axe was a WB VM-110 w/ gibson vintage reissue all-nickel 10-46's strings.

Oh man. I have not used the amp since last April. WHAT A SOUND.

I used the settings that Matt from Outter Wave used on his Showman at MArty's B day on Saturday: Vibrato Channel I with all three EQ's set at 9 or 10. I practiced in a large empty assembly room at my university (faculty perk!), so I was able to crank it. With the amp set at 4 I had to roll back the volume on the guitar. Man that Showman CRANKS. I have a quad of JJ's for output tubes. Clean, thick, lovely. The tremolo: I had forgotten how well it sounds!! Goodby Carl Martin and your annoying volume boost! hehe

I'm set. Perfect rig. My AVR Jazzmaster as my backup axe (pyramid 11 flats on it).

g

Gotta love Showmans...... More volume than you`ll ever need Very Happy

Today I brought out my 1966 Showman amp to test my "big " rig for our upcomming Pcific Shoreline Marathon gig.

It's a 66 head with a custom-made repro cab made for me by Vibroworld's Zack (fender logo and all) with a 15" Weber California D-130 replacement on a Tonering baffle. I'm using a a blonde RI tank, and my only effects are a Fuzzrite (by Ashbase) and a fulltone "fat boost" that gives a clean trebble boost for leads w/o only the slightest compression/distortion.

Axe was a WB VM-110 sunburst w/ gibson vintage reissue all-nickel 10-46's strings.

Oh man. I have not used the amp since last April. WHAT A SOUND.

I used the settings that Matt from Outter Wave used on his Showman at Marty's B day on Saturday: Vibrato Channel I with all three EQ's set at 9 or 10. I practiced in a large empty assembly room at my university (faculty perk!), so I was able to crank it. With the amp set at 4 I had to roll back the volume on the guitar. Man, that Showman CRANKS. I have a quad of JJ's for output tubes. Clean, thick, lovely. The tremolo: I had forgotten how well it sounds!! Goodbye Carl Martin surftrem and your annoying volume boost! hehe. The Showman's tremolo is perfection.

I'm set. Perfect rig. My AVR Jazzmaster as my backup axe (pyramid 11 flats on it).

g

One question.. Wats a Reverb tank... Never really used one in my area of playing...

I never really had much terminology on guitar tech..

-Fly on little wing-

Couldn't Stand The Weather...

www.myspace.com/yougottabeshittenme
...add me...

ECsurf
One question.. Wats a Reverb tank...

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

just kidding Wink

here is a good start,

I bundled a bunch of reverb tank threads a while ago, Ill see if I can dig 'em up....

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

WR
I bundled a bunch of reverb tank threads a while ago, Ill see if I can dig 'em up....

WR

found it!

this is from nov 8th, I bet a lot has been written on the subject since....

WR
who'd have guessed? reverb tanks have been discussed before!

so go and read the gospel:

tank thread
another tank thread
oh boy, yet another tank thread
and another!
they just don't know when to quit, huh
damn, another? what so great about these things anyway????
I cant befuckinglieve it, is this all they talk about?
jeez Louise, another tank thread....
my God, these people truely LOVE REVERB TANKS!

So, this must be the 10th Reverb Tank Thread!
Amen!
WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Check out that single 12" cab for The Showman
Another insteresting thing I have notice is a trend of many folks owning or buying 66 Showmans lately Hmmmm me included but I like to hear other's feedback on this? Is 66' the best year for Showmans or what?? Hmmm

Fender ad from 1966

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I've seen that picture before, and wondered if the 12" is a tone ring cabinet. Anyone familiar with this?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

...interesting thread....I'm finishing up the first production run of Gomez Surfer amps as we speak. They're a blonde showman clone-same circuit similar look. I'll be using the Weber Cali Alnicos for the 15" cabs unless I hear something that REALLY sounds good. Honestly folks that speaker is a great detailed crystal-clean 15. Ask Waimea he has one.

DGG
...interesting thread....I'm finishing up the first production run of Gomez Surfer amps as we speak. They're a blonde showman clone-same circuit similar look. I'll be using the Weber Cali Alnicos for the 15" cabs unless I hear something that REALLY sounds good. Honestly folks that speaker is a great detailed crystal-clean 15. Ask Waimea he has one.

Why alnicos?
I put a Weber Calif 15 ceramic in my Showman cab because that's I assumed the original JBL 130's were...less breakup at higher volumes, no? I also had a tonering baffle installed for the 15 (it's a custom repro cab made by Zack at Vibroworld for me 66 showman head).
g

Kyle, the best year for a Showman is the year that you own. Therefore '64 is superior to the '66.

I need my Showman worked on... It has no juice. Oh well, I don't play it out live anymore or at practice. That is what the '64 Vibroverb is for. And I just bought a '65 Bassman, which is so close to being a '64... No money to get it serviced although I get my amps serviced dirt cheap. I just pay for parts most of the time depending on the work.

JakeDobner
Kyle, the best year for a Showman is the year that you own. Therefore '64 is superior to the '66.

What's the dif between a 64 and 66 showman? Aren't they exactly the same, both BF, same circuit etc ? Or is the 66 s CBS-era model and therfore actually inferior in some way?

g

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next